"Lightning Attack!" X Men COTA Storm's Theme

Something about the guitar sounds a bit plastic to me... Not sure what it is, but I'd take a second look at whatever EQ you're using.

In any case, I'm not sure I "get" what you're aiming for, the guitars and drums don't really blend well imo. Maybe I'm not used to this style of music, but until the 0:48 mark I don't "feel" the song. To me, it seems that some saw-y distorted synth would fit so much better than the guitar...

I do like the glitching effects you used, pretty cool stuff!

In any case, I'm not sure I "get" what you're aiming for, the guitars and drums don't really blend well imo.

I aim to create good music. :razz:

I find this part of your post rather strange, to be honest; that you find the electronic drums and guitars not to go together well stylistically. Given the fact the you favorited the Metroid remix T and I did, which was an electronica mix with electric guitar accompaniment. The difference is, this has more guitar and the drums are more trance style.

I dunno, this song has electronica drums and guitar. They seem to work together to me. Or maybe you didn't mean stylistically?

Cool to see this game getting remixed!

Love the first riff on the guitar & the flanged syncopated beat on the background. I get a really good 90s vibe from that, like Apollo 440's Ain't Talkin' 'bout Dub with the Van Halen sample.. anyway! Great opening and lots of promise.

It feels that the next section with the piano melody lacks energy a bit.. it's like the guitar riff is too loud and attention-demanding for just yet in this part of the song. Giving a bit more spotlight to the melody, and then brining up the guitar might work for better flow. I don't think there's anything wrong with the riff itself but with the overall flow of the piece. Take time to develop!

The faster riff behind the same part later on works well. I hope I can listen and comment again when you have more of the arrangement done!

--Eino

I aim to create good music. :razz:

I find this part of your post rather strange, to be honest; that you find the electronic drums and guitars not to go together well stylistically. Given the fact the you favorited the Metroid remix T and I did, which was an electronica mix with electric guitar accompaniment. The difference is, this has more guitar and the drums are more trance style.

I dunno, this song has electronica drums and guitar. They seem to work together to me. Or maybe you didn't mean stylistically?

You said it yourself :razz:

Regarding your song, all the section from the beggining to 0:12 has the soft trance-ish drums, but they fit well there. You end that section with something that seems to be a build-up, but the drums stay very similar. Maybe the problem is that the guitar is a tad too loud and removes the power from the drums? The combination works much better on the 0:48 section too and the drums are louder and more powerful there.

The Youtube song also has stronger drums than the ones from the 0:12 section of your song. I guess my problem with that section is that the guitar is too powerful for the soft-ish drums you're using.

I do like the direction you're heading by the way. Use of glitching effects and that stuff is very cool.

I recognize the drum samples I used with you earlier.

The 0:30 and 0:40 cymbals are actually too soft, and they're hard to hear unless you listen more than once. The 0:38 gate width is still too long. Try making it a 50% width gate.

The 0:40 dance section has drums that, yes, don't fit. The kick should be stronger or louder or both, and the snare would fare better with some mild noise gating to shorten the tail. The 0:43 double snare hit sounds like it's the same velocity. You can lower the velocity of the second hit and add a third hit after the second hit. [X][_][X][X]

The 0:47 swap between the two hard-panned guitar tracks came off as awkward to me. Maybe if it was embraced a bit more, with a higher volume and slightly longer decay.

At 0:48, there's a balance issue between the guitar and drums. The guitar is too loud, and the drums are also too soft.

I'm not sure we're on the same page here.

The 0:38 gate width is still too long. Try making it a 50% width gate.

I can't say for sure that I know what this means. I assume you refer to the guitar being sliced up and shortened in length, but do you mean make it half the length it originally was? That's what I think you mean.

The 0:40 dance section has drums that, yes, don't fit. The kick should be stronger or louder or both, and the snare would fare better with some mild noise gating to shorten the tail.

Okay, are we referring to the beat or the samples used?

Regarding your song, all the section from the beggining to 0:12 has the soft trance-ish drums, but they fit well there. You end that section with something that seems to be a build-up, but the drums stay very similar. Maybe the problem is that the guitar is a tad too loud and removes the power from the drums? The combination works much better on the 0:48 section too and the drums are louder and more powerful there.

The Youtube song also has stronger drums than the ones from the 0:12 section of your song. I guess my problem with that section is that the guitar is too powerful for the soft-ish drums you're using.

Ooooookay, so you're talking about the intro drums there. That's actually a drum loop that T and I used on the Metroid remix, I just slowed it down because I wanted some softer drums and I liked how it sounded when it was slower. I thought it fit, but I can see what you're saying. I could try layering in some deeper kicks with it on the next go around and see how that works.

I can't say for sure that I know what this means. I assume you refer to the guitar being sliced up and shortened in length, but do you mean make it half the length it originally was? That's what I think you mean.

Yes. That's the technical way of saying it.

Okay, are we referring to the beat or the samples used?

Samples used. You can process them more.

Samples used. You can process them more.

Ooooooh, so the drums do fit, but you dislike the samples.

Now it all makes sense. I was thinking that you guys were like "four on the floor beats have no place in rock music!" type of thing.

To which I was about to ask you what drugs you were doing and if you could pass some of it my way.

Alright. The next WIP will be finished arrangement wise.

To be continued....

Yeah I meant all the samples all the time too :razz:

Well, tough shit. At least some of them will be staying :<

The beat is actually pretty cool!

Generic trance beats never get old. Although I do like the "darbuka" drum thingy I included and I like the speed metal palm mutes with the kick. Perhaps I should side chain the guitar at that part to the kick ever so slightly. So ya get a bit of that pumpin', only with guitars instead of synths.