Gamestop Hate

Meteo Xavier

I'm not sure how a game retailer somehow becomes the biggest retailer and the most hated one at the same time, but while I've known of the gamer community's almost dogmatic reviled reaction to the very mention of Gamestop for quite a while, I've been seeing a rash of behavior lately that reflects poorly on gamers and kinda makes me ashamed to be one.

You've seen this joke go around - "DERP here's a picture of 39 SNES games, 19 NES games, 24 N64, 38 PS1, 12 PS2, 15 Sega Saturn, Virtual Boy, gold-plated Earthbound cart, etc. etc. Bet Gamestop would only give me $0.39 for it. DERP DERP DERP!"

And then someone will follow it up with.

"I tried selling some PS3 games in there the other day, 5 games and they only wanted to give me $15 for it. I told the little girl behind the counter to GO FUCK HERSELF! So I went and sold them on Ebay instead. :D"

Now let's stop pretending to be awesome, hardcore gamers for a moment and look at this.

1. Who the hell tries to pawn off a small fortune of vintage videogames to GAMESTOP? Do you see any of those games on their shelves? They haven't been catering to vintage gamers for YEARS now. You might as well try to trade them in at Burger King.

2. Why would you be rude to the guy or girl behind the counter? They don't run the business, they don't decide what prices to make or give, you're just being a dick to someone doing a job they probably didn't even want JUST to be a dick and call yourself a gamer.

To broaden it out, I don't understand the hatred Gamestop gets in the first place. I don't do the modern era of gaming (mostly for practical reasons), so I don't do trade in with them or even go there much anymore. I've never had a bad experience with them at all, and I have a LOT of bad experiences. I really am lacking a lot of reference, so what did I miss in the last 5 years that makes Gamestop so horrible that its a mark of gamer excellence to be a dick to someone just doing their job?

I don't expect to get a lot of reaction to this thread, but I really hope I'm not the only one who's been disgusted by this recently either. I've been seeing a steep decline in the dignity of being a gamer, and this kind of shit... err, I can't even finish that sentence without getting mad.

I don't get it either, actually. I mean yeah, they do lowball you on trade-ins, but that's why you should probably, you know, keep the games.

I mean, I've had no issues getting new games from there, and I've found some gems that people DID trade-in, so it's not all that bad. I've heard rumors of things they do to new games and shit, but not once have I experienced that myself.

I think it comes down to a mix of "haters gonna hate" and hivemind mentality. Some people see others hating on GS, decide to join in (thinking it'll score them some points with the initial haters), and it snowballs from there, as these things tend to do.

That was a great thing.

Personally, I've never had bad employee experience there, but all of the friends I've had that worked there never had good stories to tell about the job. That being said, Gamestop will remain if only because it's easier, faster, and more instantly gratifying than waiting around on Amazon, shipping the thing out, and waiting for the money to come through. As for me? I'm all Amazon and Steam these days, and happier for it.

Yes, but those copies were only one or two (save big ones that they feel need 5 copies on the wall) and were to be sold LAST. You were also expected to take care of the game and bring it back in good condition, else have to purchase it. (how often that was held to is store to store)

Also I think the steam voucher thing was only once, though I agree it was a dick move

I don't shop at Gamestop if I have the choice.

• They aggressively push used games over new games, with very little difference in price.
  • They lowball you on trade-in credit.
  • They open up merchandise to use the boxes as "display copies" and then sell those opened, beat-up display copies at full retail price.
  • They allow employees to take opened, new copies of games home to play and then sell those used games at full retail price.
  • Employees can be very aggressive about pushing pre-orders at the point of sale.
  • Unlike other retailers, they rarely ever offer any kind of discount on new games.

They're a business, true, and all of these things help their bottom line, but they also all add up to a pretty crappy experience for consumers.

Yeah, I'll go to Wal-Mart or Radio Shack or anything else before I buy from Game Stop (more accurately, their Canadian version, Electronic Boutique, aka, EB).

But luckily, the EB I used to go to was fairly OK with pushing their stuff. They never asked again if you said no, they wouldn't go out of their way to ask you for reservations or pre-orders.

I just assume that that one store was the exception.

Yeah, I'll go to Wal-Mart or Radio Shack or anything else before I buy from Game Stop (more accurately, their Canadian version, Electronic Boutique, aka, EB).

But luckily, the EB I used to go to was fairly OK with pushing their stuff. They never asked again if you said no, they wouldn't go out of their way to ask you for reservations or pre-orders.

I just assume that that one store was the exception.

Wal-Mart is so much worse as a business than Gamestop. I don't shop at Walmart because of the garbage way they treat their employees.

I do shop at Gamestop sometimes, but the one I go to has decent employees that don't push things on you. I think it all has to do with the district manager, and how they want their employees to behave. My sister works in a different district, and she says their manager makes them very pushy. She worked at one in Orlando when she went to school there, and the district manager was such a douche he kept firing people for not making enough console sales. It's Orlando though; either tourists were buying a quick game, or the locals didn't have the money to go buy new consoles.

There's a store here called Game Craze. It's great: you can buy new games, you can get some hard-to-find used games (I finally found Breath of Fire III there recently as well as Majora's Mask), and the employees aren't forced to treat you like garbage. I've been shopping there more often, but I still will pre-order a couple of games a year at my old Gamestop just to be faithful to the guys working there. The best thing about Game Craze: no idiotic Square Tax on Square-Enix games. That's one thing about Gamestop that always aggervated me, and Best Buy does it too.

Wal-Mart is so much worse as a business than Gamestop. I don't shop at Walmart because of the garbage way they treat their employees.

Because of Canadian labor laws, Wal-Mart can't get away with all the shit they pull in the US. Canadian Wal-Mart workers are paid better, get more benefits and work better hours. Not much better, mid you, but still better.

Which is why if I can't get what I want at other stores, Wal-Mart is the only logical choice left. More towards the end of the list, but it's still on the list.

See, that's just the mature thing to do. What's irritating is reading about Gamestop/EB hatred constantly over the internet.

Like, if you somehow hate a store, just don't go there :|

But well, people have been hating on mainstream/popular stuff all the time. Call of Duty, Family Guy, Madden, Michael Bay movies, every musician who makes a hit, etc.

It's not always hating for the sake of hating, PriZm. Some just dislike Gamestop because of their practices regarding how they treat their employees, merchandise, and their customers. Gamestop has a less than stellar record in those areas.

I could understand if there is outrage at how they treat their employees, but regarding merchandise and customers, as a customer you're not under any obligation to shop there. So you just avoid the shop, no?

I'm sure several people have a good reason to hate the place, but I'm also fairly sure that the majority of people complaining about it on the internet do not.

I have worked/currently work at Gamestamp.

The reason preorders and all that other crap is pushed for so hard is because that is how Gamestamp gets hours for employees to work. We have to maintain a certain level of preorders, and those cards to be able to get hours.

• They aggressively push used games over new games, with very little difference in price.
  • They lowball you on trade-in credit.
  • They open up merchandise to use the boxes as "display copies" and then sell those opened, beat-up display copies at full retail price.
  • They allow employees to take opened, new copies of games home to play and then sell those used games at full retail price.
  • Employees can be very aggressive about pushing pre-orders at the point of sale.
  • Unlike other retailers, they rarely ever offer any kind of discount on new games.

They're a business, true, and all of these things help their bottom line, but they also all add up to a pretty crappy experience for consumers.

The reasoning behind your points is as follows:

1. Pre-owned games is pure profit for Gamestamp.

2. See point number one.

3. Most Gamestamps keep those copies/cases in good order, and I personally never hesitate to give a discount for damaged cases. Most managers are supportive of me in that regards.

4. This is completely untrue. While yes we do get to take home and play games, however corporate states 30 days minimum it must be in store to take home and try. Most stores shorten it to two weeks.

5. See above the quoted text.

6. There are certain stores that price match when flyers are involved.

Overall, as someone whom has been on both sides of the fence, Gamestamp is terrible for us actual gamers. However many of Gamestamp's customers are moms. Moms that have no idea what the fuck they are doing, buying something for their snot nosed piece of shit child that also has no idea what they are doing. If you have brain cells, dont shop there. If you dont, by all means, pickup a Power Up Pro Rewards card. 15 bucks get you a year subscription to Game Informer, 10% more trade in value, 10% off all pre-owned games and accessories, and you earn double points on everything you buy in the store. Did you preorder Grand Theft Auto 5 for your 5 year old child? You prolly should, seeing as he won't love you if you dont.

4. This is completely untrue. While yes we do get to take home and play games, however corporate states 30 days minimum it must be in store to take home and try. Most stores shorten it to two weeks.

Um, that doesn't really contradict what DS said. New, gutted games, don't stop being new 14-30 days after they're gutted. They're still new, and shouldn't be going to anyone's home until someone actually buys them. And if they do get taken home by an employee to play (which I've personally heard talked about by those I knew who worked at Gamestops as managers), still selling them as "new" is complete and utter bullshit.

Um, that doesn't really contradict what DS said. New, gutted games, don't stop being new 14-30 days after they're gutted. They're still new, and shouldn't be going to anyone's home until someone actually buys them. And if they do get taken home by an employee to play (which I've personally heard talked about by those I knew who worked at Gamestops as managers), still selling them as "new" is complete and utter bullshit.

Fair nuff.

i've experienced absolutely none of this at the GS i go to

seriously

i guess that it just depends on the store and the people who work there

seriously, never been pressured into a sale, never been pressured into getting PowerUp Rewards (which i don't have an issue admitting I have, because hey, free stuff), never been pressured into buying used over new... really, they just let me do what they should let me do. go in, buy a game, leave. no hassle.

then again, i've proven to them time & again that i'm not some moron and am actually far more knowledgeable on current gaming goings-on than they are, so that might be part of it.

So Gamestamp just enacted the most asinine policy in my opinion that they have ever done to it's employees. We are now required to send out "Concierge Calls" to customers that show up in a database for random things, usually a game that was bought recently that has high trad in value.

It's telemarketing. That is all it is. Corporate is telling us that we have to take time out of our already busy workday and bug people at home. We are only allowed to make the calls from 4 to 9, so that guarantees us to be bugging people during dinner.

I already don't like badgering people in store for reserves and that stupid fucking card, now this?