Gamestop Hate

Meteo Xavier

Do people really buy the used games at $55 instead of $60? I would never do this, it seems completely silly to get a used product for only $5 cheaper than the new one. Why would you get something used if you are only saving $5? A complete rippoff and a waste. Get the new one

The only time I generally get a used product at GameStop or elsewhere is when it isn't available new anymore and the price is decent (like less than $20) or if there is some gigantic discount (like $20-30 vs $50) which never ever happens at GameStop

People are cheap.

So am I really, that is why I'm not buying used unless its actually worth buying. $55 for a used game is way too steep! It looks really bad sitting next to a $60 for new price tag.

I guess it just depends on what angle your looking at, but if $5 is going to somehow break your wallet you probably shouldn't be buying games this expensive in the first place. Better off buying some cheaper used games elsewhere, especially since if you sell that used game back to GameStop you aren't going to get anywhere near the price they are selling it at (again, ripoff)

Edited by Crowbar Man

Every single, every single third-party controller I've ever bought in my life has broken within a couple months or not worked properly. They're so awful I can't figure out how the industry stays afloat.

There's a reason the official controllers cost so much, because I still own them and they all work. I have two friggn Dreamcast controllers that still work.

Their cables are worse, because they're not shielded at all. I bought an AV multitap for playstation/nintendo/xbox and the damn thing had so much interference I couldn't even use it.

Every single, every single third-party controller I've ever bought in my life has broken within a couple months or not worked properly. They're so awful I can't figure out how the industry stays afloat.

There's a reason the official controllers cost so much, because I still own them and they all work. I have two friggn Dreamcast controllers that still work.

The last third party controller I bought was for Nintendo 64, it was such an astonishing piece of shit that I learned my lesson, from then on nothing but official controllers for me.

Also I don't have three hands.

N64 controller just had 3 positions, you don't need 3 hands. Games only picked one position to use. Maybe you never learned how to hold it?

The N64 analog stick was very precise, but it was obviously made for precision rather than durability... especially after Mario Party got ahold of it. :/

Minus ones that were used excessively for Party style games though, I've had N64 controllers hold up fine for regular games. It was just the ones that had too many party style sessions that started to wear down.

You could get 3rd party controllers with steel bars for the analog stick, but they didn't feel precise (and felt stiff and akward) and their button placements were often really weird. I'd still prefer Nintendo's over 3rd party stuff. Just make sure you keep one controller for Party games and one for Single player games :)

Edited by Crowbar Man

After ten hours of smash, the control stick, which was used by every other game, either lists to the left or right, doesn't respond all the time, or snaps off.

Also I don't have three hands.

how much do your hands weigh like fifty pounds each?

it took me 4 years to go through one controller

Seconding "first-party N64 controllers are shitty". The control stick -- you know, the single most important input for basically every game ever? -- inevitably breaks down into nigh-uselessness, no matter how carefully you handle it. Generally I'm pretty content with first-party controllers, but if I ever found a third-party N64 controller than didn't suck, I'd buy four of them almost no matter what the price and never look back.

I still have my original N64 controller, but the cable is a bit wobbly and loose where it connects to the controller itself. I was always one of those people who tightly wound a controller cable around the controller when it wasn't in use, and I fucked up a playstation controller the same way. The secondary controllers that I got the year I got Gauntlet Legends still work just fine, and that was what...1999?

And you can complain about the N64 controller's layout all you like, but the Dreamcast wins for having the dumbest controller. It was a square brick with a short cable that came out the bottom.

In most regards that is entirely true, though for some reason a couple of my GameStop GCN controllers are still working and I've had them for 2 years.

Honestly GameStop's GCN controllers were better than any other third-party attempt at the GCN controller because it actually felt similar to the original GCN controller and I honestly think it's more durable than any other third-party GCN controller. It still sucks, though. Just not as much.

WTF is up with the TURBO button?

The main reason I swore off shopping at GameStop was because the last time I did, I paid $60 for two DS games, got home, and found out both boxes were empty. They did give me a refund a week later (I got the games to play on a trip, so wasn't back in town until then), though the employee gave some line about being out of stock (which begs the question of why charge me $60 and not actually put the games in the damn box, so no points there -- it was clear he was covering for being distracted the first time I bought the games).

There're several other things I don't like about GameStop that are kind of general things about a lot of vendors (low price for trade-ins, always up-selling or trying to sell plans, etc.).

I mean, these things are irritating enough to get me not to shop there anymore. Not enough to get me to -hate- the place, just enough to where I always go with alternatives. KF

don't they normally do that right in front of you, while you watch?

Yeah, don't you actually watch what the employee is doing with your game as they're packing it up? I mean whenever I've bought used disc games, I've asked to see the back side of the discs to make sure they're still in decent condition. I trust the employees at the Gamestop I visit because they're good at their jobs, but I still want to make sure I'm getting what I'm paying for.

don't they normally do that right in front of you, while you watch?

I'd forgotten that GameStop keeps the games behind the counter, not in the cases. So when he handed me the boxes and receipt, no, I wasn't watching to see if he opened the boxes and put a game inside.

I mean, *now* I know to check, but only because places like GameStop make me paranoid that they're going to rip me off or steal money from me. But since most of the other game stores I go to just keep the game in the box, by now it's a moot point. KF

I've mistakenly given a customer, the empty case after picking up the filled case out of the drawer before. It happened to my manager yesterday on shift too. These things happen man.

while i get that mistakes happen gamestop is pretty much the only big box store at which there's even the possibility of you walking out without what you paid for. you can't take pages out of books, or CDs out of cases, or PC hardware out of boxes. Gamestop is the only place that puts itself in the position to have this problem.

while i get that mistakes happen gamestop is pretty much the only big box store at which there's even the possibility of you walking out without what you paid for. you can't take pages out of books, or CDs out of cases, or PC hardware out of boxes. Gamestop is the only place that puts itself in the position to have this problem.

I definitely don't have a way of defending Gamestamp's reasoning behind this. My only thought is that it comes done to bottom line. It costs money and time for locked cabinets, and Gamestamp quite literally does everything in their power to maximize profit. Great for business, bad for consumers. Like I said, we sales guys are only human, and honestly if someone holds that against us, man they got some issues.

The gamestops around me have a high turnover for management apparently and frequently swap around supervisors and what not which can be quite unsettling since they usually lose the nice attitude within months. The current store manager in the Gamestop nearby scares my wife. She felt like she was going to get yelled at cancelling the ps4 preorder with how angry this manager looks usually. You can tell she no longer wants to work there.

The worst though was one employee a few years back who i think was in a supervisor position tried to push a pre order on me I ended up calling corporate which is something I never thought I would do. I can't remember the game I went in to pick up, it was a DS game or something or other, and the employee went out of his mind asking us if we wanted to pre order anything. we kept saying no and he kept getting louder and louder throwing off the same few titles saying are your sure. Eventually we gave in and put down 5 bucks so he would give us the game we were buying allowing us to leave. I went in a week later when I was sure he wasnt there to cancel the pre order.

Don't get me wrong, there are some employees there that I get along with that really hold back on pushing the preorder and have a good attitude, but when those in power hate what they do it makes for a really shitty experience, and I feel that with most of the gamestops I have gone to that seems to be what the problem is.

That and when I go in and the trainee who is not allowed to work the register or anything has to stand around and follow me around like a creep because he is not able to do anything else at the time. That is why I dislike gamestop.

Edited by crazyhaze32