Logic X

Whos excited? what do you guys think of it? I think the ipad controller app is an obviously good idea and im assuming its going to be a nice streamlined experience compared to some of the more wonky apps like TOUCHOSC has been. ( could never get the damn midi pads or keys to work properly)

Whos excited? what do you guys think of it? I think the ipad controller app is an obviously good idea and im assuming its going to be a nice streamlined experience compared to some of the more wonky apps like TOUCHOSC has been. ( could never get the damn midi pads or keys to work properly)

Bought it the other day, lovely GUI and additional plugins aside, I don't think much has changed. That said, I'm going to stick with it for a couple of projects and see how I get on. There wasn't that much wrong with 9.

I remember going from Logic 7 to 8, it messed with the folder structure and screwed up some samples for exs24. Can someone check that the old install of 9 or 8 or whatever you've got still works fine, 32-bit plugins and all?

I uninstalled Logic 9 prior to the upgrade, sorry mate, can't help you with that one. Not familiar with that issue though.

Edited by CapricornOne

Can Flex Pitch edit individual notes inside a chord, like Melodyne? That would make this the best DAW for the price.

At any rate, looks like there are a lot of cool features in this update that would help make the workflow go more swimmingly. The smart controls seem convenient for mapping, and instruments groups would definitely come in handy for big projects.

I too am hoping to jump on the Logic X train pretty soon. I'm sad about the non 32-bit support thing because I've got some really cool freebee plugins that won't work anymore.

I either need to learn how to cope without said plugins or use logic 9 when I need those plugins, bounce, then import into Logic X... but that's a pain in the butt really.

Anyway I'll be buying it soon and I'm happy to see some nice little improvements (the arpeggiator for instance, it's about time!).

And yes, it looks sexy doesn't it? :)

Ya know, it's all good improvement, but it just doesn't seem like a big enough jump. Maybe they just aren't showing off everything and there's a lot more to it than what Apple is saying, but I think the improvements are awesome, but not as much as I wanted.

The drum thing scares me. Just putting more session drummers out of business. I don't like that thing.

are any of us hiring drummers anyways? I generally do my own drum stuff anyways.

That statement itself scares me.

I am quite aware that most of us here at ocremix that do most of our stuff alone just do acoustic drum programming, but when it comes to session musicians, technology is just pushing their ability to do their job further and further back until no one needs them anymore. Being a session musician nowadays is not much fun for most session musicians like it was back in the 90s and earlier.

Can Flex Pitch edit individual notes inside a chord, like Melodyne? That would make this the best DAW for the price.

At any rate, looks like there are a lot of cool features in this update that would help make the workflow go more swimmingly. The smart controls seem convenient for mapping, and instruments groups would definitely come in handy for big projects.

No, it's just for monophonic material. People seem to be praising the new feature, simultaneously admitting that Melodyne is still the leader, even for monophonic material.

That statement itself scares me.

I am quite aware that most of us here at ocremix that do most of our stuff alone just do acoustic drum programming, but when it comes to session musicians, technology is just pushing their ability to do their job further and further back until no one needs them anymore. Being a session musician nowadays is not much fun for most session musicians like it was back in the 90s and earlier.

Id venture to say that a pro drummer on a electric drum kit could still outrock most of us in the beat making department regardless of genre. also, id say that drummers still have a pretty solid standing within the mainstream music world. most bands dont have some guy on a drum machine banging out sequenced loops and i dont see live musicians going anywhere anytime soon. it just makes more sense for home studio musicians to make our own drumlines using software.

Id venture to say that a pro drummer on a electric drum kit could still outrock most of us in the beat making department regardless of genre. also, id say that drummers still have a pretty solid standing within the mainstream music world. most bands dont have some guy on a drum machine banging out sequenced loops and i dont see live musicians going anywhere anytime soon. it just makes more sense for home studio musicians to make our own drumlines using software.

Live performance isn't changing any time soon. But having an extremely large amount of experience in the studio and in sessions (that's where music is for me), session musicians are having a harder time making a lot of money because of technology, and additionally the fact that so much music just sucks nowadays that the majority of session musicians hate their job anyway. It's really a very unfortunate thing.

music only sucks when you close yourself off to new things, as goes for most things in life. im sure when rock first was born, older musicians hated it.

personally i think its generally a positive step forward. more people have access to music making tools that even 10 years ago they didnt. As a result, theres more juicy music and talent that wouldnt have been possible if the technology hadnt made it happen.

i could see why technology makes it harder though. why hire a violin player when someone can sell you a personal orchestra that does the job well enough for most peoples ears for less than the cost of the session, and you can use it whenever you want? but its just the way things change over time. we dont really use horses to get around anymore, but its not like horses dont exist , theyre just used for other things now. its sad but there isnt much to be done to fix it.

music only sucks when you close yourself off to new things, as goes for most things in life. im sure when rock first was born, older musicians hated it.

personally i think its generally a positive step forward. more people have access to music making tools that even 10 years ago they didnt. As a result, theres more juicy music and talent that wouldnt have been possible if the technology hadnt made it happen.

i could see why technology makes it harder though. why hire a violin player when someone can sell you a personal orchestra that does the job well enough for most peoples ears for less than the cost of the session, and you can use it whenever you want? but its just the way things change over time. we dont really use horses to get around anymore, but its not like horses dont exist , theyre just used for other things now. its sad but there isnt much to be done to fix it.

Referring to your first two paragraphs, while I understand what you are saying, I entirely disagree. The better technology has gotten, the less talent and the more stupidity. Mainstream is absolutely embarrassing to listen to anymore, unless it's someone like JT or John Mayer, but they've been around for a while, they are talented, and they know what they're doing. Most artists nowadays have entirely lost talent and it takes no ability to record anything anymore because the computer can fix it. Everything is so digital and unnatural. The analog age was when music was done right.

This obviously isn't to say that all music recorded in digital sucks. And I really want to get Logic Pro X. I was simply stating that the easier it gets, the less talent there is. Some people will be able to still do it right, but when it gets this easy, it's a piece of cake to turn a horrible band into a perfected and fake digital song.

And it would make sense why older musicians would hate rock at first. Because jazz is a genius genre that can't be competed with. So genius, that that's the reason most kids nowadays don't understand it and think it's stupid. That's a very unfortunate thing. Rock, on the other hand, was honestly stupid music up against jazz. In some cases it still totally is. But I think rock back in that time still definitely required a heavy amount of talent and therefore you got geniuses like Led Zeppelin and Queen and The Beatles. Rock nowadays is really pathetic. They call "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons rock. Nope. Foo Fighters is one of the bands that actually play Rock, but it's under Alternative, which is what "Radioactive" should've been under. Genre defining just doesn't even make sense anymore.

Analog was so beautiful.

Edited by Garrett Williamson

Live performance isn't changing any time soon.

This is entirely false. Take some time to research the academic side of music technology and the research/experimentation done in performance. For example I could have a performer sitting in front of a crowd sitting on chairs. You could then have a musical system designed where the musical choices are made based upon the weight of individual audience members sitting on chairs. That's pretty damn easy to accomplish with Max/MSP and some basic installations on chairs. In that example the performer is actually the audience.

Also dude you sound very doom and gloom, why? Music has always been about experimentation and 1 uping someone else. Every new style of Jazz was a reaction to the previous style. Every style/movement of what we now call classical music was derived from composers trying to build upon the foundations of others. Implementing new and creative ideas.

Hell the "The Rite of Spring" by Igor Stravisky which is major influence on modern film score music literally caused a riot when it first premiered in 1913.

As for live performance, I think I meant that overall the fakeness level of live performing is nearly impossible compared to a studio track, unless the person is just lip syncing everything.

The reason for the "doom and gloom" is that change used to be cool. The way things used to sound was awesome. Part of me wishes we never moved on to digital recording. But of course, that would lead to this site probably never existing, and digital can create new sounds and many people have used it right. But then there's mainstream and most pop artists are just embarrassing nowadays. There's no getting used to it. I just hate it and I don't see how I can like it. Some new stuff is awesome. DubStep is starting to get old now, but when it first became a big thing a couple of years ago, I thought it was really cool.

As for live performance, I think I meant that overall the fakeness level of live performing is nearly impossible compared to a studio track, unless the person is just lip syncing everything.

The reason for the "doom and gloom" is that change used to be cool. The way things used to sound was awesome. Part of me wishes we never moved on to digital recording. But of course, that would lead to this site probably never existing, and digital can create new sounds and many people have used it right. But then there's mainstream and most pop artists are just embarrassing nowadays. There's no getting used to it. I just hate it and I don't see how I can like it. Some new stuff is awesome. DubStep is starting to get old now, but when it first became a big thing a couple of years ago, I thought it was really cool.

Sounds like the issue is actually your perception.

There has been terrible music forever and untalented musicians put out by labels to make a quick profit, but generally time has a way of weeding them out. The best music lives longer, which is why you forget all the bad stuff.

Sounds like the issue is actually your perception.

There has been terrible music forever and untalented musicians put out by labels to make a quick profit, but generally time has a way of weeding them out. The best music lives longer, which is why you forget all the bad stuff.

While this is true, there still definitely used to be a lot more good music on the radio than there is now. Only a decade ago music on the radio, in general, sounded better than it does now. Yes, there's always been the horrible music, but it was less likely. Now the likely-hood of horrible music is much higher than it used to be.

The reason for the "doom and gloom" is that change used to be cool.

thats exactly what your people probably said about 90s music. you can always look back at things and see it as being better.

i actually have more problems with people hating on modern mainstream music than i do the music itself. sure, dubstep really kicked edm in the nuts, but its not really as bad as people say it is. rock music shouldve theoretically been "old" like 30 years ago, yet you never hear about it. or how the guitar is the most played out instrument of modern times and id venture to say that just as many guitar players suck as amateur "beatmakers" who just make generic dubstep.

of course , in all of this, i dont blame you for feeling the way you do. its not like you can force yourself to like something that you just, dont like.