Donkey Kong Country - Life In The Mines Remix

JoeTheLion

This is my attempt at remixing this awesome track, it's still similar to the source track since I used a version of the track to guide me and then expand from there. I've got this 90s vibe all over my music so you should be able to hear some of that in how I made this track.

ANYWAY! This is my first remix in here and I THINK It's going well, apart from it being similar to the source (At least at the beginning). I KNOW it does not have the best sound, I'll work on it when suggestions are made, because there is a time in production in which I hit some kind of dead end and need outside help :). Also, it could be that it strays too far from the melody and stuff but I'm not sure, I like it the way it is. Finally, I am lazy when it comes to bass programming so yeah, there you go.

Remix:

https://soundcloud.com/joe-the-lion-1/living-machine

Source:

Feel free to listen and criticize.

sorry my english is awful

Edited by JoeTheLion

To tell you the truth, I think this song (the source tune) kinda sucks (so maybe I shouldn't even comment on your remix at all). It has no melody or hook, it's just a backdrop of ambient sounds, and I don't like the "plastic wood" sounds of Donkey Kong Country that much anyway.

That said, I think you made a better song than the source. I like the heavy drums, the sound effects, even that drawn out high pitched sound that's going on here and there. I like the electronic "machine" style of it.

I agree that the bass could be better. If you make some nice bass lines, and not just hammer on 8ths and base notes, it could liven up the tune a lot.

No. The source tune is awesome. No melody or hook? Say wha??

Anyways... IMO, give the music a bit more space. More reverb for sure. Make it ambient and abstract! Also, play around with your panning a little more. The synth pattern you introduced in the end had this panning pattern that really gave the song that extra something. So work on panning your instruments, maybe flowing some patterns left to right, etc. Mainly since you're trying to go for that abstract sound (the source is pretty abstract as well). And things are getting drowned out in your mix due to a lot of things being centered (the guitar melody for example).

Also, I really like the chord progression of the original DKC tune. I'd recommend using it when you play the lead melody at the end (you did a great job with the progression at 1:51). With the leads at the end, you used a different chord progression that didn't match the lead too well. I really liked that part though, just the leads didn't blend in right.

Also, concerning those leads: they are quiet, and a little off. When it comes to leads, make them louder and more prominent. Mess around with some delays and reverb to set it apart from everything else.

Cool source and nice remix, just thought I'd give my opinion.

https://soundcloud.com/joe-the-lion-1/living-machine-demo-3 this is the latest version of the song. I think It sounds good and I'm quite proud of it :) any thoughts on how to improve this? I have already panned several instruments, used several audio effects on them too and did some work on the bass line as well as using the main melody a bit more often.

okay guys, time for the fourth update of this remix. I've added lots of new stuff but most importantly is the addition of Pumpkin King on the leads which by the way are awesome, he's also aided a lot in terms of composition and I think the song is shaping quite nicely. I'd appreciate some feedback to know I'm on the right track (or not). Thanks for listening!

https://soundcloud.com/joe-the-lion-1/livin-machine-mix2