ReMixer name: Homeslice

Name: Joshua Clark

User ID: 46434

Submission information:

Game arranged: Chrono Trigger

Arrangement name: Oh, Traveller from an Arcane Land

Song arranged: Secret of the Forest

Link to original song:

Inspiration: Chrono Trigger is still, to this day, my absolute favourite JRPG. I loved every aspect of the game (with a special mention to the soundtrack which is, to say the least, phantasmagorical) and after about my 4th play-through I realised a remix was in order and this was the result. Hope you enjoy :)

--------------------------------------------

Edited by djpretzel

Too loud for my grandpa ears, and not as melodious as I would have liked. At times, the backing pattern of the source was in play but nearly buried. That said, what's here works as far as the arrangement goes.

By 2:30, I was really hoping for some kind of dramatic dynamic shift to add another dimension to this. I'm not ignoring the dropoff at 1:35, but the overall volume there was still over the top, and the instrumentation wasn't different, so it wasn't a particularly dynamic drop.

By 3:00, I was admittedly getting bored because the track was basically in the same gear the whole time. The changeup at 3:18 was a brief glimpse of something new as a couple more new ideas led to the finish.

It IS a creative enough approach, and it ticks the boxes on both arrangement and production, but it represents a degree of untapped potential, IMO. It's not a borderline YES, but it's admittedly not an enthusiastic one either. There's not enough of a hook to it, and it could evolve more. I don't hate the track, but it's just not my thing. Objectivity!

YES

This is the kind of stuff I've been digging lately and it's nice to hear it done well. Getting a Daft Punk Tron vibe for sure on the intro.

Source connection is clear, but used in a creative manner. Larry's right that the backing sequence does tend to get relegated to more of a backing foundation part, but the lead holds down the main theme in the foreground.

Transition at 1:29 felt awkward - could've been smoother for sure, but it's not a track killer.

Production is really fantastic here though. Loving the full, wide bass line. Really good changeups in synths and patterns to keep individual sections from getting too repetative.

I do hear Larry's point about textures mostly staying the same throughout the track. Definitely a good thing to keep in mind for future projects to keep things engaging throughout.

I guess on an objective level we both agree on production & arrangement being over the bar, but personal preference-wise, I'm not getting bored here.

YES

• 1 month later...

Pretty much in the same boat as the gentlemen above; it's not to my personal taste, but the arrangement is creative, and I can definitely see that people will dig it. I do also agree with Larry that the lack of change in textures/sounds/volume starts to wear on you a while, and I'd love to hear you change up one ore more of those to help give the track more flow and variety. The sounds are clear, and the balance is quite good between your instruments. I think a bit more in the low end and a tiny drop in overall volume might help you get a stronger effect overall, but I am also fine with how you approached this as-is.

YES