Forum Avatars - RIP

Joyzilla

Ninja Gaiden:

I know we've got one of these, but I think this one looks a little better.

Here's the original for comparison: ninjagaiden.gif

LT: Your new one looks cooler but his foot cuts off. Fix?

Looks like a one-pixel fix:

ryu_2.gif

poison5ul.gif Poison

LT: Taking the ones with borders. Give Poison one and he's in (know the canon!).

poison_border.gif

LT: Excellent.

Like half of these aren't in the new avatar gallery. Where's the beef??

BOO-URNS!

LT: Focusing on functionality/troubleshooting first. Once that's squared away, the design may be tweaked and secondary stuff (like avatars) will be handled.

Can't comment on the Melty Blood posts, due to the image count, but those sprites are unfortunately pretty weak. Gotta pass on those.

Looks like a one-pixel fix:

ryu_2.gif

poison_border.gif

Actually, if you learn the cannon, you'd know that Poison and Roxy were originally girls. The main reason they were changed to "shemales"/"transvestites"/"Newhalf" characters, was because of the whole "violence against women" thing. Seems Capcom feared issues with this subject from other countries, so they altered it (yeah... don't hit women, but here's a couple shemales. Interesting choice there Capcom). This of course, led to problems when the game was brought to the SNES and other systems. Shemales weren't exactly what Nintendo wanted (imagine their surprise after they translated the backstory for them), so they were replaced with the male punks in the SNES games (and the GBA one too I believe).

So while Capcom may be sticking to their bullshit story (though Roxy is supposedly a girl now), the characters were actually pure female to begin with. They just tried to cover one potential problem, and created another. Now Capcom's stuck with an idiotic cover up tale for what's always drawn as a curvy, voluptuous woman in their official art, and they're too chicken shit to just admit their mistake and go back to what was originally intended... that being, Cody/Hagger/Guy punching out chicks ;)

Edit: Whoa... where'd LT's port of that quote go?

Yeah, I got the lowdown on Wikipedia some time ago, but thanks Coop. I quoted full sentences of LT's relevant comments back on page 13 in phpBB (now page 20 due to the new 10 posts / page limit).

Looks like we'll also need to get used to the new quoting formation as well, to avoid:

"Originally Posted by On page 13, Evilhead"

and

"Originally Posted by He also"

No harm done. If necessary, just take apart one's post to address whatever tidbit you're aiming for. (Also, Capcom's practically synonymous with retcons and plot holes...)

----------

But back to avatars. Here's the Bad Dudes, with backgrounds and transparency:

bad_dudes_blade1.gifbad_dudes_striker1.gif

bad_dudes_blade2.gifbad_dudes_striker2.gif

LT: With backgrounds is excellent. Thanks!

Got a few from F-Zero X.

Too lazy to post all 31 (especially without those handy dandy tag buttons), but here's a few samples:

cptfalconuk4.gif

mrsarrowvi7.gif

blackshadoweg6.gif

samuraigorohvj4.gif

and here's a rar (this is a link fyi) with all 31 images

LT: The resizes aren't very sharp. If you can get them looking a bit less blurry, then I'd add 'em. NOt sure what the cause is. The original images may simply be so large that such a dramatic resize only results in something looking rather blurry. In any case, feel free to try 'em again with examples of 1 image as a test. If something seems strong, then apply the resize techniques to the other images.

Pleasing backgrounds.

TransmogrifiedCalvintan.gif

TransmogrifiedCalvinlighttan.gif

Thanks again, Coop.

LT: Change the background color while not touching the white color within Transmogrified Calvin's/Hobbes' body. Keep that part of the image white. The light or dark orange BGs would be aight, since it's Calvin & Hobbes.

Well the way you worded it before ("Make the background some sort of pleasing shade of off-white (while not touching Hobbes), and I'll take it"), sounded like the outline of Hobbes looked fine, but you wanted it with color. So, I added color.

Anyway...

4654B-9.gif4654B-10.gif

LT: Actually, that looks pretty badass, but actually do a dark-ish orange for the outside, while keeping Calvinhobbes untouched. The light color isn't quite hooking it up like I thought it would (my fault for steering it in that direction). Otherwise, very awesome.

Got a few from F-Zero X.

Too lazy to post all 31 (especially without those handy dandy tag buttons), but here's a few samples:

cptfalconuk4.gif

mrsarrowvi7.gif

blackshadoweg6.gif

samuraigorohvj4.gif

and here's a rar (this is a link fyi) with all 31 images

LT: The resizes aren't very sharp. If you can get them looking a bit less blurry, then I'd add 'em. NOt sure what the cause is. The original images may simply be so large that such a dramatic resize only results in something looking rather blurry. In any case, feel free to try 'em again with examples of 1 image as a test. If something seems strong, then apply the resize techniques to the other images.

Actually the original images, even in-game, have sort of a minor native blurriness to them. That may be the problem.

The resizes aren't very sharp. If you can get them looking a bit less blurry, then I'd add 'em. NOt sure what the cause is. The original images may simply be so large that such a dramatic resize only results in something looking rather blurry. In any case, feel free to try 'em again with examples of 1 image as a test. If something seems strong, then apply the resize techniques to the other images.

Actually the original images, even in-game, have sort of a minor native blurriness to them. That may be the problem.

Yea, those were ripped straight out of the game using Rice's Video plugin in 1964, hence the blurriness.

No alteration was made on my part other than converting from png to gif.

Anyway, here's some sharpened up samples.

cptfalconuk4.gif -> cptfalcon2uy9.gif

mrsarrowvi7.gif -> mrsarrow2nq6.gif

LT: Looks reasonably good. Go ahead and apply the sharpening to the rest and RAR 'em up! Nice work.

P.S. Please interpret this as me hating your avatars!

P.S. Please interpret this as me hating your avatars!

;_;

http://sologamer87.googlepages.com/fzxavs.rar

LT: I took 13 out of 30 of 'em. Some of them looked too pixelated on account of the sharpening. But like I mentioned before, I've seen the original sprites, and they were poor to begin with, so getting this many looking good is still some nice work. Thanks again.

Well the way you worded it before ("Make the background some sort of pleasing shade of off-white (while not touching Hobbes), and I'll take it"), sounded like the outline of Hobbes looked fine, but you wanted it with color. So, I added color.

Anyway...

4654B-9.gif4654B-10.gif

LT: Actually, that looks pretty badass, but actually do a dark-ish orange for the outside, while keeping Calvinhobbes untouched. The light color isn't quite hooking it up like I thought it would (my fault for steering it in that direction). Otherwise, very awesome.

Aaaaaaaaand...

4654B-11.gif

LT: Lil' darker, plz!

Just some Mega Man X and Dragon Ball Z sprites (the first thre MMX sprites are linked due to the 4 image per post limit):

X

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/SGotenX/Xavatar.gif

Zero

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/SGotenX/Zeroavatar.gif

Vile

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/SGotenX/Vileavatar.gif

Goku

Gokuavatar.gif

Gohan

Gohanavatar.gif

Vegeta

Vegetaavatar.gif

Goten

Gotenavatar.gif

|GX

LT: The MMX sprites are good to go, but these DBZ ones look grainy/pixelated. They're probably just poor sprites and not your fault, but I can't take 'em regardless. There might be some better stuff out there though.

I dunno, I think that kinda makes it lose some of its simple "retro" feel. Black or transparent background is best, in my opinion.

I made a black background several pages back, and LT didn't like it. He said they were "too plain", and suggested trying to do something that gave them a "cooler background". So, that's what I'm trying to do.

Of course, since the game's from 1978, I'm not sure what the issue is with the sprites looking as they do. But the game's a classic, and it deserves to be included, so I'm trying my best.

Actually, Coop, some Space Invaders were already submitted here (link). But you can probably do something with this guy you subbed: SI5.gif

----------

Anyway, since it's impossible now for LT to edit comments into posts with more than 4 images in them, I'm helping Doulifée out with his post here (linky linky). Here's a one-image screen capture / visual aid:

doulifee_post.png

Larry can leave comments for Douli's avatars in my post.

LT: Took Rachel and Sensei from Advance Wars, the second Phoenix, and the second Harumi. There's no reason to make the backgrounds for the Advance Wars sprites transparent. Just resizing them with their existing solid backgrounds looks good, IMO.

Actually, Coop, some Space Invaders were already submitted here (link). But you can probably do something with this guy you subbed: SI5.gif

Wait...

LT tells me they're too plain on a black background, but he was cool with a submission from six months ago with them on a black background (which I missed incidentally)? Was he replaced with a robot?

LT: The white-colored ones were too plain on a black background. Adding color to the enemies got rid of that.