Forum Avatars - RIP

Joyzilla

So there I was, comparing the Azumanga Daioh avatars to one of Sakaki that I've been working on, when I noticed something curious. Yukari and Osaka in the (Anime) gallery are bitmaps with the names

azumanga_yukari1.gif.bmp

azumanga_osaka1.gif.bmp

From what I've seen, a bitmap takes up more space than the average image file. Just to be sure, I converted these two to GIF format, compared pixels, and found the GIFs to be exact replicas, but in a smaller package. So here's the non-BMP stand-ins:

azumanga_yukari1.gifazumanga_osaka1.gif

LT: Danke.

And of course, Sakaki:

azumanga_sakaki1.gif

And Kyon from Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya:

melancholyhs_kyon.gif

(Yep, it's the same defeated expression tried like 3 times prior, each time "not sharp enough" or similar.)

LT: The linework looks too pixelated. Not feeling it, until the image looks smoother.

• 3 weeks later...

I have assembled some Fire Emblem sprites because of the noticeable lack of them.

Eliwoodsprite.jpg

Eliwood

hectorsprite.jpg

Hector

Lynsprite.jpg

Lyn

guysprite.jpg

Guy

I have more, but I will first await the critiquing of these - they are all in more or less the same format, so if it's wasted effort to post the others, do let me know.

LT: Well, if these are actual game sprites, they're pretty ugly to me. Plus, these aren't properly centered. It also doesn't look right when a sprite about 40-45 pixels high is arbitrarily cropped. Better to resize and fit it within the 32x32 size limit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Megaman (Gameboy)

mmgbs.gifmmgbj.gif

LT: Yeah, these are good. I'm assuming they're MM1 for the Game Boy? Just let me know when you have a chance.

Yeah, Megaman 1. That's what I wrote right above the images. I'm pretty sure the megaman graphics are identical in all the gameboy megaman games (like they're the same in all the NES ones), but I could be wrong. Though, MM5 (and maybe MM4, too) was designed for the color gb, and I don't know what he would look like then. But this is definitely how he looks in the first 3.

Tankman looks handdrawn; why not a resize from the Flash?

Ahaha! Awesome video.

Don't we have Dark Knight Cecil already? Maybe I'm just thinking of FF4A.

Yeah, I was just rounding out our collection of Cecils: FF4 Dark Knight (full sprite), FF4 Paladin (full sprite), FF4 Paladin (profile), FF4A Dark Knight (profile), and FF4A Paladin (profile).

Revisions:

sakaki2.gif Sakaki

kyon2.gif Kyon

tankman2.gif Tankman

Zelda 3 - Armos:

zelda3_armos.gif

LT: What are the source images for these anime pics? The Tankman resize isn't sharp enough, but once it is, I'm definitely gonna roll with it. Armos is an ugly sprite, so I pass.

Rockford from Boulder Dash:

boulderdash_rockford.gif

Scooter from Menace Beach:

menacebeach_scooter.gif

Milon from Milon's Secret Castle:

milonssecretcastle_milon.gif

Jake from Totally Rad:

totallyrad_jake.gif

LT: The 1st and 3rd are cool, but I'm just not feeling those background choices.

2nd is an ugly sprite.

4th is totally rad, so that's a go.

Hey, LT, you skipped my previous post (the one with the Game Boy Megamen).

He didn't forget. He just handled SoloGamer's posts before ours out of conveniency (time, appeal, comment delivery, or whatever). Just have patience.

(Also, if you liked the first Tankmen, be sure to catch Tankmen 1.5 and Tankmen 2 if you haven't already. They're equally hilarious.)

Hrm. Well, I'll try Fire Emblem again - this time with smaller (and possibly better-looking) overworld views of the characters.

Lynlittle.jpg

Lyn

EliwoodLittle.jpg

Eliwood

Hectorlittle.jpg

Hector

NergalLittle.jpg

Nergal

Well?... do these exhibit any improvement over the first batch?... If not, I shan't give up - once I find an appropriate way to portray some Fire Emblem sprites, I shall continue with the utmost haste!

LT: Way too small and lacking in detail. No dice.

A few from Puzzle Bobble 2...

PB2.gif

In order, there's...

Willy Whistle, Unknown, Mighta, Unknown, Unknown

Unknown, Monsta, Bob, Bub, Unknown

I'm still trying to find names for the unknown ones, but thus far, no luck. Oh, and here they are without a background...

PB2a.gif

I also found out that bubblebobble_enemy.gifs name is Benzo.

LT: With the backgrounds is good, but I'm not feeling a black background. If you can switch it to something more stylish, I'd take 'em. Thanks for the info on Benzo.

No problem.

I tried out several colors (and variations of them) for the backgrounds...

PB2b.gif

PB2c.gif

PB2d.gif

PB2e.gif

Do any of them strike your fancy LT? Also, would you prefer them all on the same colored background, or should I use a few colors, and give each character whichever one works best for it (like give Bob an orange bg, Bub a pale blue bg, etc)?

LT: The light colors generally aren't giving enough contrast for the images to stand out. I'd experiment with several darker shades.

Did some tests. Most of the characters work fine with a dark BG, expect for the Chinese girl, the vampire chick, and the robot. The Vampire chick and the robot have mostly mid-range to darker colors, so they really start disappearing on a dark BG. The Chinese chick has an intensely blue dress, with dark gray hair. Finding a color for her that doesn't make her dress or her hair vanish is tough, but here's some that I came up with...

PB2BGTests1.png

PB2BGTests2.png

Thoughts?

LT: The darker shades for the first set of images definitely work better. I'm gonna sound anal, but with the 32x32 limit, I'm definitely not feeling body shot images with BGM where something reaches the edge; it just makes it look bootleg how the background color doesn't envelop the image. Maybe try to resize the images for those so they're 30 pixels tall maximum, if the resize looked good. It might be too hard to get some of these looking good on any sort of solid background color, but maybe you'll hit paydirt with other colors.

Designating them 1-10 with 1-5 being the top row and 6-10 being the bottom:

I'd take 3, 7, 8 & 9 as is, definitely. They look awesome. 1 and 5, I'd take with a different background color than that brown shade. 2, 4, 5 & 10 are the clearly the toughest to really hit a solid BG color for, as you've already found out. Sorry for taking so long in my reply, Coop. Thanks for the effort on these so far!

Revisions:

sakaki2.gif Sakaki

kyon2.gif Kyon

LT: What are the source images for these anime pics?

Sakaki is from Azumanga Daioh (source for the original art piece) and Kyon is from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (ripped from the credit sequences).

Here's Tankman, v3 (one of them's a mouth and teeth adjustment):

tankman3.giftankman4.gif

LT: Kyon is the better looking of the two anime ones, but I'd still rather have direct resizes of those.

As for Tankman, Arek & Dhsu voted for the "with teeth" edit in #ocremix, so the edited version is the winner. Being really anal, I would actually slightly gray up the solid black line forming the top of the mouth in order to make the edit blend in a bit more naturally with the rest of the image, but it still looks pretty good. Danke.