Forum Avatars - RIP

Joyzilla

• 2 weeks later...

I know these aren't likely to be accepted, but here are most of the various things from the Atari classic, Gauntlet...

GauntletAvatars.gif

In order, there's...

Warrior, Valkyrie, Elf, Wizard, Ghost, Grunt, Sorcerer, Demon, Lobber, Death

Thief, Generator 1, Generator 2, Food 1, Food 2, Treasure, Potion, Amulet, Key, Exit

LT: Let's go with Warrior, Wizard, Sorcerer, Death, Generator 1, and Food 2. The rest look good within the group, but not feeling them on their own.

I know these aren't likely to be accepted, but here are most of the various things from the Atari classic, Gauntlet...

GauntletAvatars.gif

In order, there's...

Warrior, Valkyrie, Elf, Wizard, Ghost, Grunt, Sorcerer, Demon, Lobber, Death

Thief, Generator 1, Generator 2, Food 1, Food 2, Treasure, Potion, Amulet, Key, Exit

LT: Let's go with Warrior, Wizard, Sorcerer, Death, Generator 1, and Food 2. The rest look good within the group, but not feeling them on their own.

Before I post the one's you listed LT, I thought I'd give them all another shot...

GauntletAvatars4.gif

GauntletAvatars2.gif

GauntletAvatars3.gif

I tried brightening the background, and then adding some color shifts to them to try and help the characters stand out more. I thought that adding more background variation choices to the original set might result in more suitable avatars.

Anyway, the original set is lined up with the two additional ones. Thoughts?

LT: Thanks for trying some other options. I actually think the originals ended up looking the best, with the images contrasting best with the darkest background. I'm still sold just on the ones I previously listed, so let's roll with those.

Resizes (7 Anime, 1 Other) - First up is Sakaki and Kyon again, both with sharpness upgrades and alternate pics.

Azumanga Daioh - Sakaki:

azu_sakaki_1.gifazu_sakaki_2.gif

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Kyon:

mhs_kyon_1.gifmhs_kyon_2.gif

LT: Not feeling the new ones. The sharper ones are aight, but seem a bit too sharp now.

Moena from Angel Blade:

angelblade_moena.gif

Nakoruru from an OAV titled Nakoruru: Ano Hito Kara no Okurimono:

nakoruruOAV_nakoruru.gif

Yotsuba from Yotsuba&! (well, manga form anyway):

yotsuba_yotsuba.gif

blackmyst's latest OCR 4-tan:

ocr4-tan2.gif

LT: First two are good, Yotsuba looks slightly over-sharpened, and 4tan IMO wasn't quite smooth enough as well.

Okaaay. Thanks Alastair for having downloaded photoshop!

anso-avatar1.png - Every Extend Extra Extreme (Q Entertainment)

anso-avatar2.png - Rez HD (Q Entertainment)

Make the one you think is the prettiest my exclusive avatar ;)

If you think they both suck, go with the Jade Cocoon 2 one for exclusiveness.

LT: Added these as general, and gave you the Jade Cocoon one as an exclusive. Thanks!

I'm not good at these. Anyone want to take a stab at this guy? I was thinking if it didn't look good in 32x32 that maybe just the head would work. Not sure what background color would be best, but transparent could work if the image has to be cropped down to the head.

DanielFloyd_avatar.jpg

Thanks!

LT: If you could put that image over a background color you liked, it would be easier to then take that and shrink it.

• 2 weeks later...

Once more, here's the Puzzle Bobble 2 test subjects (Drabo, Chun Chun, and Pikar, respectively):

final_exams.png

The 3rd and 4th Drabo and the 4th Pikar have solid background colors; the rest are linear gradients.

LT: Let's do the 3rd vamp, 1st chick, and 2nd robot! Awesome, we finally got a great fit. Thanks for trying so hard, bro. And The Coop will be pleased.

• 3 weeks later...
Let's do the 3rd vamp, 1st chick, and 2nd robot! Awesome, we finally got a great fit. Thanks for trying so hard, bro. And The Coop will be pleased.

Super. Here they are then:

Drabo

Chun Chun

Pikar

LT: Bueno. How did you get the names for these characters; I couldn't verify them anyhwere I was looking.

P: I used two sources to find their names:

1) The Spriters Resource pages have names for some of the characters, but not all of them. Fortunately...

2) ...the Japanese Wiki article on the game does, under the Character section (キャラクター). I can read and approximate hiragana and katakana with no problems (ちゅんちゅん = Chun Chun, ドラキュラのキャラクター = "Dracula character" under Drabo/どらぼー, etc.) They also have "stage #" (ステージ#) in their descriptions, no doubt telling me when they appear. My first source notes level appearances as well, so I matched up the info and filled in the blanks.

I also watched a playthrough on Youtube, but only to count off levels and check when each character appears.

(And yes, Willy Whistle is named Drunk (どらんく) in the Japanese Bubble Bobble games.)

As for the resizes, do these look any smoother?

amd_sakaki.gifSakaki (Azumanga Daioh)

mofhs_kyon.gifKyon (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

yotsuba2.gifYotsuba (Yotsuba&!)

4tan2.gifOCR 4-tan, of course

LT: First two are better, so they're in. The others too still look too sharp. What are the source images for those. Maybe I can take a stab at it?

P: Sure, if you'd like. Here are the sources for Yotsuba and 4-tan. If you're curious, I used these crops to color replace/downsize/sharpen. If you change your mind, lemme know and I'll tackle these two again.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see Yotsuba and 4-tan made it in by your hands, Larry. (Clever choice cropping 4-tan closer like that.) I also like the surprise additions like Metroid 2 Samus, the Dragon Quest enemies (facilitating the Enix category), and the Shatterhand hero. Really freshens things up.

LT: The Yotsuba one turned out aight, but I'm pissed I couldn't get the 4-tan any sharper without it looking messed up. Not what I would have preferred, but couldn't crop any closer. Glad you saw the others; I did those a little ways back. I added some more this morning, coincidentally. Not a host of them, but maybe 10 spread across several categories. Some only got 1, but they're in Hudson Soft, Konami, Nintendo, Nintendo ~ Mario (most of 'em), Sammy, SNK, and misc.

Some refinements...

Capcom ~ Fighters

· There's actually no "h" in Jon Talbain's name. Like Jon Arbuckle.

· The Card Fighters 2 Cammy is missing her native background, so here's a fix-up:

svccard2_cammy.gif

Capcom ~ Mega Man

· Mega Man: Mega Man (portrait 2) is from Rockman 2: The Power Fighters (his health bar icon).

· Mega Man: Frog is named "Croacker" according to the Mega Man 2 instruction manual (that extra 'c' must've been a typo, though).

· Mega Man V: Gyro is named Power Massler.

Nintendo ~ Mario

· Yoshi's Island: Snowman is named Huffin Puffin.

Sega ~ Sonic

· Sonic the Hedgehog: Piranha is named Chopper.

Square ~ Final Fantasy

· Final Fantasy IV: Imp (green) - Part of his hat is missing, plus its extension was ICO when I saved it, so here's a pure-GIF replacement:

ff4_impgreen.gif

Sunsoft

· The Lufia 1 and 2 avatars belong in the Taito category, since they first published those games. (I know this category would be left with just three avatars, but still.)

Other

· That other 4-tan is also by blackmyst, in case you want to add it (in parentheses).

Castlevania 3 figures and weapons:

cv3_skeleton_whip.gif

LT: Skeleton with a bone whip? Sure.

I assume you changed your mind because his feet cut off. Care for a foot job?

cv3_skeleton_whip2.gif

LT: Thanks for all the fixes. Gonna have to find some more Sunsoft stuff!

To partially fill the gap left by the Lufia avatars' migration, here are some Sunsoft avatars...

sunsoft_avvies.png

Wynn from Atlantis no Nazo; Batman (full sprite and title screen capture) from Batman (NES); Uncle Fester (in-game and intro) from Fester's Quest; Yumetarō (a stuffed animal) from Gimmick!; Gizmo from Gremlins 2: The New Batch; a blob or something (I couldn't find an appropriate enemy list) from Hebereke; Jay McCray (in-game and intro) from Journey to Silius; a title screen Lemming from Lemmings (SNES); and Lucia from Wing of Madoola.

Pick any winners from here.

And here's three more characters from Guilty Gear Petit 2:

guiltygearpetit2_baiken.gif Baiken

guiltygearpetit2_dizzy.gif Dizzy

guiltygearpetit2_venom.gif Venom

LT: Most of 'em were oogly (not your fault, clearly), but I grabbed the Batman intro pic, Jay intro and Lemming, plus the GGP2 ones. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

A request just because this guy is full of awesome.

Any possible way to get a Mr.L avatar from Super Paper Mario?

I personally am content with my avatar, but I think it would be cool just to have cause around the site cause I mean...he is Mr. L! Supreme bad ass.

EDIT:

120px-Mr._L.jpg

Here is the bad ass, just in case for reference.

Death Note: Kira Game

deathnotekiragame_L.gif L

deathnotekiragame_lightyagami.gif Light Yagami

deathnotekiragame_misaamane.gif Misa Amane

LT: A little too sharp/pixelated on the edges. Looking at the facial borders, especially for the first two, you can see there's not enough smoothness, even though the sharpness level seems good.

Dragon's Lair - Dirk the Daring

dragonslair_dirkthedaring.gif

LT: Not your fault, but at this size, the contrast isn't strong enough. The lines of the face aren't distinct enough.

Duke Nukem 3D - Duke Nukem

dukenukem3d_dukenukem.gif

LT: Nice.

FF7 - Vincent Valentine

ff7_vincentvalentine.gif

LT: Not enough contrast for the image to stand out, but might be nothing you can do.

MegaRace - Lance Boyle

megarace_lanceboyle.gif

LT: Bad pic. Sorry, Lance.

And Arek's request, Mr. L from Super Paper Mario

superpapermario_mrL.gif

LT: need it on a non-white background and we could roll with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I totally lost track of this thread. Here are the six Gauntlet one's you chose LT...

http://two.xthost.info/thecoop/Wizard.gif

http://two.xthost.info/thecoop/Warrior.gif

http://two.xthost.info/thecoop/Death.gif

http://two.xthost.info/thecoop/Generator1.gif

http://two.xthost.info/thecoop/Food2.gif

http://two.xthost.info/thecoop/Sorcerer.gif

LT: I already added 'em myself. :-P

Polo- Thanks for working on those four from PB2. I would have chosen different ones from what LT did (I would have gone with the 1st vamp, 3rd chick and 2nd robot since they looked more visible overall), but they're included now, so kudos to ya :-)

Polo- Thanks for working on those four from PB2. I would have chosen different ones from what LT did (I would have gone with the 1st vamp, 3rd chick and 2nd robot since they looked more visible overall), but they're included now, so kudos to ya :)

Glad to help. :)

By the way, do you still have those three Liquid Kids avatars from before (rock guy, slingshot-holding orb, and mummy)? I think your site went down before Larry could add them with transparent backgrounds...

----------

And cool new additions, LT! I never would've guessed the Super Mario Bros. 3 "Green Thing" (part of a hill cluster) would make it in. Ha!

Anyway, here's some overdue/supplemental quickies...

Tetris Attack - Little Yoshi:

ta_littleyoshi.gif

Tetris - J Block:

tetris_J_block.gif

And two child Rydias from FF4:

ff4_rydia_child.gifff4_rydia_child_face.gif

LT: Danke. I had the L and J reversed, so you actually provided an L. My spatial skills are clearly poop. What's the root image of the yellow Yoshi? I'd rather have more of his head fitting into the space at the expense of the (cool) bubbles.

P: Like the other TA characters, that's how Little Yoshi's icon is cropped/presented in the game. I only upped the brightness and contrast, like what Nineko and The Coop did back then, since in-game they're kinda dark.

And thanks for your detailed comments about my resizes; they're quite insightful and challenging. I'll post revisions in due time.

EDIT: And I was a bit perturbed to learn that several avatars aren't GIFs, but BMPs (and one JPG). So here's a list of GIF-transformation updates to:

Sammy

Guilty Gear XX: Slayer

Guilty Gear XX: Bridget

Anime/Manga

Azumanga Daioh: Yukari (somehow the bitmaps for this and Osaka were reinstated...)

Azumanga Daioh: Osaka

Saint Seiya: Camus

Great Teacher Onizuka: Eikichi Onizuka

Movies/TV

Stargate SG-1: Teal'c

Sin City: Kevin

Stargate SG-1: Jack O'Neill

LT: Many thanks. We push for GIFs not because other files don't work, but because of the filesize, so while a small detail, these are really helpful. Thanks very much!

Okay then, Resizes: Round 2...

Death Note: Kira Game (different sharpness levels and some manual smoothing out)

L

Light

Misa

Dragon's Lair - Dirk

dragonslair_dirk.gif (darker lines, c/o the burn tool)

FF7 - Vincent

ff7_vincent1.gif (a little more contrast)

ff7_vincent2.gif (same as above, plus more color saturation)

Super Paper Mario - Mr. L

spm_mrL.gif (green background)

Oh yeah, and one more BMP that should be a GIF (Misc category):

Ogre Battle 64: Quass

LT: Bueno bueno.