Forum Avatars - RIP

Joyzilla

I've seen Misery quite a few times on IRC.

And Nineko, you got way too much free time on your hands, haha. I gotta admit that avatar making and playing around with sprites is a lot of fun. *Hopes for more Bowser goodness*

And Nineko, you got way too much free time on your hands, haha.

One site's loss is another site's gain, I suppose

(I'm sure you know full well what I'm talking about)

EDIT: K' got some more, this time from Super Punch-Out

I made two version of each, one with the border and background, and one with just the face.

LT: I took a handful of them, all with the border. Some of those characters were too fugly for primetime, but nice work.

aranryan019tm.gifaranryan029mp.gif

Aran Ryan

baldbull019gy.gifbaldbull023il.gif

Bald Bull

bearhugger016si.gifbearhugger028mf.gif

Bear Hugger

bobcharlie010rs.gifbobcharlie020ap.gif

Bob Charlie

dragonchan016uz.gifdragonchan021ih.gif

Dragon Chan

gabyjay018lj.gifgabyjay025kq.gif

Gaby Jay

heikekagero014yk.gifheikekagero020ye.gif

Heike Kagero

hoyquarlow018ak.gifhoyquarlow024fh.gif

Hoy Quarlow

madclown018sg.gifmadclown024ty.gif

Mad Clown

maskedmuscle013ua.gifmaskedmuscle025ag.gif

Masked Muscle

mrsandman012xh.gifmrsandman022ed.gif

Mr. Sandman

narcisprince017ot.gifnarcisprince020fn.gif

Narcis Prince

nickbruiser015jr.gifnickbruiser028jn.gif

Nick Bruiser

rickbruiser015nb.gifrickbruiser025fc.gif

Rick Bruiser

pistonhurricane014vc.gifpistonhurricane029oa.gif

Piston Hurricane

supermachoman017nj.gifsupermachoman023ud.gif

Super Macho Man

littlemac019pc.giflittlemac023ni.giflittlemac030vr.giflittlemac041rx.gif

And Little Mac (or whatever his name was)

EDIT 2: Got some more from various Neo-Geo games

King of Fighters:

athena9yw.gifathenaasamiya9qk.gifbenimarunikaido9pm.gifbillykane8lc.gifchingentsai2bv.gifduckking6bz.gifgeesehoward7ki.gifkimkaphwan1gw.gifmrbig7hd.gif

yamazaki014ge.gifyashironanakase3hu.gifterrybogard1vg.gifryosakazaki8dd.gifrobertgarcia0oz.gifrugalbernstein5hz.gifsaisyukusanagi6vx.gifshingoyabuki4vd.gifsiekensou8ir.gif

LT: Really pixelated for some reason. Just took 3 that I think weren't major offenders and otherwise looked OK compared with your current avatar, that being Terry, Kim and Billy Kane.

Last Blade 2:

juzoh7dp.gifkaede2hh.gifmoriya1bb.gifyuki2yh.gifhibiki0qz.gif

LT: Too pixelated. Pass.

Super Dodge Ball:

shinji5zq.gifkunio9ck.gifmisuzu5tq.gifmiyuki4pr.gifriki2ni.gifsabu1br.gif

LT: Took the male characters only. Female ones didn't look as good with the resize for some reason. The first female looks like a shim.

And some Waku Waku 7:

dandyj5pl.gifrai0oh.giftesse6xi.gifmauru9xh.gif

LT: Too pixelated; looks like a poorly done resize. If those can be smoothed out a little more or resized with a better program, thouse would be good, except for the 3rd one. Thanks for your effort here.

Zero, use www.rapidshare.de

edit: also, anyone who wants to take a look at my older (rejected) submissions?

http://digilander.iol.it/sambevolley/avatars/NinekoAvatarsPart1.zip

http://digilander.iol.it/sambevolley/avatars/NinekoAvatarsPart2.zip

some of them were uploaded, but some didn't make it. if you find something that has potential, feel free to edit/improve it.

Like, I would be happy to see the Lupin ones uploaded.

Well, since I had a few 32x avatars, I thought I'd stop lurking for a second and post them.

Game Gear Shinobi

ggshinobired6do.gifggshinobipink4fo.gifggshinobiyellow9jh.gifggshinobiblue9lr.gifggshinobigreen2xe.gif

LT: They're cool in principle, but they lacking in detail, so it's hard to even tell what they're supposed to be. If you didn't mention what game it was, I would have only been able to guess what the first one was. They look bad both close and from afar. The fact that they're Game Gear sprites is the problem, not that these were bad sprite rips, sorry.

System Shock 2

systemshock2xerxes5fe.gif

LT: Too light; it makes it difficult to make out the face.

Phantom Dust

phantomdustfreia5iz.gif

LT: Looks like the coloring is messed up. Nah.

Don't be discouraged at subbing more avatars, as you know what you're doing in terms of making them. Your current sources here just weren't hot.

Some are too small or too dark. No point in some of these being so small though you probably can't help it given some are from the Gameboy. Klonoa, too small. Crash, too ugly, and I'm sure there's a better pic. Pikachu, too small. KH guys are ok. Hamtaro, too dark, not to mention hell naw. Just Purim from SoM. Get Super Mario in a better pose (standing, jumping). Took Eri and Curly. I spit on Balrog. Tetris blocks are TINY, no good. Use the 32x32 dimensions as best as possible. Thanks for the ones chosen so far.

Took a while for the response, but that was much appreciated. Concerning sizes and color palettes, much of these were shown like that in their respective games to begin with (with the exception of Balrog which I had to cut down to half the size). I had some trouble trying to resize Pikachu and the Tetris blocks in particular, which lead with some of these stretched out pixels when incorporating them as GIFs.

I would work on these a little more, but given that I'm at home for Easter with such limited hardware/software, I can't do that right now. Unless, if there's someone willing to help me out on those icons that didn't quite make it, I will easily hump your leg like there's no tomorrow. :)

Plus, if someone can actually make a better Crash avatar than I did (which when I did mine I took the original icon taken from Crash Nitro Kart on the GBA), I will seriously be greatful. I see little to no love for many of these PlayStation oriented "heroes", so to speak O.o

Guile is hard to find on Google. Anyway...

Guile2.gifGuile3.gif

Find me better source pics and I'll make something better.

Also, I've found some Chibi styled SF2 characters:

Guile1.gifZangief1.gifMBison1.gifRyu1.gifKen1.gifChunLi1.gifEHonda1.gifCammy1.gifBlanka1.gif

LT: Nope. All crud. Also, no ugly fan-made stuff like those Street Fighter chibis, which look terrible.

yo what's up. i like never post here but i got bored so i figured i'd make some avatars. they're from street fighter 3 and i think they're pretty good. :D

Dudley: dudley.jpg

Gill: gill.jpg

Q: q.jpg

Urien: urien.jpg

tell me if you like them and i'll make some more. :)

LT: Don't submit resizes that are not 1:1 ratios, they look squashed. Use transparency on images that have white backgrounds. Pass.

GIGAWING

gigawing_boss_crop.gifgigawing_green_trans.gif

gigawing_green_firing_orig.gifgigawing_red_intro_cockpit.gif

I'd like to do all four planes besides the green one. The first plane is a boss and the last is from the intro.

This one is for Nineko. He said he was having trouble resizing it: nineko01_32x32_trans.gif

Method: Crop image, indexed color-->RGB mode, contrast +34, resize 32x32, draw eye in b&w, save as gif.

LT: First two were grainy/pixelated. Second two don't even look like anything. Rhino/Mother 3 thing lacks detail also, which I said was going to be the case if one resized the full pic.

ok some updates.

world of warcraft again:

druid.gif

dwarf.gif

elf.gif

gnome.gif

human.gif

hunter.gif

mage.gif

orc.gif

paladin.gif

priest.gif

rogue.gif

shaman.gif

tauren.gif

troll.gif

undead.gif

warlock.gif

warrior.gif

LT: Very very nice stuff. I'm sure these will be used a lot, since this game is pretty hot right now. Ok, what didn't I take:

Gnome is rather ugly. Well, it is a gnome. Res still looks kind of dull (I know you're trying, so don't take it wrong), so if you can sharpen it more withot going overboard, I'll take it. Still an ugly bastard.

Human, sharpen him up a bit more.

Tauren could be shifted to the right a little bit, to better center him.

Undead, same as Tauren, plus a little sharper.

Everything else looks good. Hopefully we can add everything, but it's up to djp.

dar hulkenstein:

hulk.gif

LT: Yes! Thanks a lot for fixing these up, Ty, I appreciate it.

LT: Hahaha! This should be fun. No reason to get worked up on avatars and pout like a child. But then again, it IS the internet. Quotes in black from me are from a prior post, since he didn't actually use

LT: First two were grainy/pixelated.

gigawing_green_trans.gifgigawing_boss_crop.gif

Huh? The point I'm trying to make is that these weren't resized. I think the green plane had no resizing at all. Maybe the boss pic too. How do you get off calling them "grainy" when I had to chop off the wings to get them at full size?

LT: The fact that the rips are perfect doesn't matter if the image looks cruddy in the first place. Why would I want a couple of planes where the wings were chopped off?

LT: Second two don't even look like anything.

gigawing_red_intro_cockpit.gifgigawing_green_firing_orig.gif

Huh??? The red plane cockpit is damn near perfect. Especially for this game. You can't capture a plane at 32x32, that much I've learned.

LT: That's right, you can't capture most planes at 32x32. Simple as that. You cropped the cockpit so tightly that you'd have to check the filename just to be sure of what it is, and you're right, it IS a nice image, but 1 1/2 wings are cut out just to make it fit. It's gotta be very recognizable just from glancing at it.

LT:Rhino/Mother 3 thing lacks detail also, which I said was going to be the case if one resized the full pic.

nineko01_32x32_trans.gif

I know you can't do better yourself bro, because I spent hours on this one. I would upload others, but you seem to have an anti-plane philosophy.

LT: Why would I care if I could do better myself? I don't have a pirated copy of Photoshop, and I'm not choosing to make these, so I don't care. The rhino rocket's too small to show detail, end of story.

An anti-plane philosophy? Even though it's not true, and it's awfully deep for something so trivial, SURE. If it makes you feel better, I'm anti-plane. (Why I accepted some Tyrian ships and went inconsistent with my own philosophy I'll never know, but clearly...)

Suggesting Mario Shroom is good when it clearly has pixelated borders is overboard:

nineko_Mushroom.gif

Yeah that's not pixelated at all. Especially compared to bender.

LT: Super Mario Bros. 1 sprites are going to look overly simplistic and pixelated. :lol: It's when people submit pixelated resizes of stuff that had smooth renderings that it's a problem...much like the Bender avatar below; thanks for providing a good example of something that's not good enough.

Bender1.gif

Try setting your display to 1280x1024, and you can catch up with the rest of us post-1997. Got $80 for a video board? Ask your parents.

-Mike.

(Using Photoshop since 1994)

LT: ROFL! I don't live with my parents, and I am using 1280x1024. I can't help it if your images aren't good. I'm not gonna accept everything from everyone just because the person that made them likes them. If you've been using Photoshop for 12 LOOOONG years, how come you're not better at it? Don't snipe at me over having a higher standard.

if my leo avatar could be added that would be much appreciated. Its just a lion so it can be put in the OTHER catagory.

leomania8vl.gif

LT: Nah.

1. This apprently isn't derived from a video game or anything else of interest.

2. Images are to be no bigger than 32x32.

3. Don't use white backgrounds. Use a different colored background or transparency.

4. The image quality here is terrible.

Try setting your display to 1280x1024, and you can catch up with the rest of us post-1997. Got $80 for a video board? Ask your parents.

-Mike.

(Using Photoshop since 1994)

LT: ROFL! I don't live with my parents, and I am using 1280x1024. I can't help it if your images aren't good. I'm not gonna accept everything from everyone just because the person that made them likes them. If you've been using Photoshop for 12 LOOOONG years, how come you're not better at it? Don't snipe at me over having a higher standard.

Dude I'm on a 1440 x 900 screen and your avatars still look bad. Grow up. They're just avatars. And he's not saying "NO NEVER" he's saying they'll have to look a lot better before he'll use them. I had to redo my avatars a few times before LT okayed them. I still have a few that are too pixelated and they were not resized. Sometimes, game graphics just suck. Look at my Guilty Gear avatars. They're all really pixelated, but they aren't resized at all. They are all straight game rips and they look pretty bad.