Forum Avatars - RIP

Joyzilla

Boy did this thread die off quick.

How exactly is that a problem? You can always set a dimension and filesize limit.
again: it doesn't work when linking to off-site avatars.

Actually, it can work. I've seen sites in the past that refuse to allow an image to be hotlinked because it exceeded the specific file size that was allowed (it may have used a kind of "check" code to make sure it met the requirements). I've also seen images get drastically squished because it was bigger than the coded dimensions for the avatar space (I've done this by accident a few time with my site, by replacing an image, but not updating the html code to the new size).

It can likely be done, but it's a moot point when talking about OCR and avatars.

It can likely be done
yeah, there are several ways to get around that, including a preventive check or a resize.
but it's a moot point when talking about OCR and avatars
yes, because the point isn't just the size, they want also to keep the quality on a very high level. that's why we're running a thread like this where people can contribute stuff. and I think it's good that there is this quality check. think about that, someone can use a 32x32 pic of djpretzel's penis as avatar, and it wouldn't be good.

LT: Ha. No one would want to use the djpenix as an avatar. But yeah, allowing no custom avatars is all about quality control. Love it.

TTAvatars.gif

I'm working on some Teen Titans avatars. They're still a WIP, but I'd like your thoughts on where to go with them LT. More sharpening? Make each background differently colored (I was thinking like the colors used behind each character from the shows opening... Robin = Red, Starfire = Orange, etc.)? Turn up the contrast a bit?

LT: Disembodied heads? Pass. The res is pretty bad anyway.

Since we have some anime avatars, has anyone tried to do any Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ones?
Yes, I tried.

But they weren't accepted.

:puppyeyes: Try again? please? :puppyeyes:

Well, I didn't want to post new avatars unless my old ones were reviewed, but ok...

I must warn you, however, that I'm not good at resizing pics from Animes, I'm more a sprite ripper, so these are probably going to be rejected.

Given that, here you are, my friend:

SH0205.gifSH0212.gifSH0215.gifSH0217.gifSH0219.gifSH0224.gifSH03.gifSH05.gifSHi.gifSH12060.gif

Of course, since I've never seen a single minute of that Anime, you have to identify them (e.g. names).

LT: Just the 4th one; the rest don't look sharp enough when resized.

SH0224.gifSH12060.gif

the first one in the quote is Mikuru, and the second is Tsuruya. The rest of the ones in Nineko's post are Haruhi.

I also have made some avatars, so here they are:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Haruhi

haruhi32_a.gif

haruhi32_b.gif

haruhi32_c.gif

- haruhi32_c2.gif (same pic as the last one, with minor changes, as I wasn't sure about the sharpness)

haruhi32_d.gif

haruhi32_e.gif

Tsuruya

tsuruya32_a.gif

tsuruya32_b.gif

tsuruya32_c.gif

tsuruya32_d.gif

Mikuru

mikuru.gif

Kyon

kyon32_a.jpg

YuYu Hakusho

Botan

botan32_a.gif

botan32_b.gif

botan32_c.gif

LT: Took the 1st and 5th Haruhi and the 4th Tsuruya. Rest don't look sharp enough with the resizes. Nice job with the ones taken though.

How 'bout some Kinnikuman avatars?

001zh7.gif

Kinnikuman

002qo3.gif

Terryman

003oa2.gif

Robin Mask

004ju3.gif

Ramenman

005dd2.gif

Warsman

006nk2.gif

Brocken Jr.

035dv3.gif

Mister Kamen

013rg5.gif

The Ninja

021ud2.gif

Canadianman

022mn9.gif

Specialman

015hg1.gif

Neptuneman

016jd2.gif

Sunshine

033rj5.gif

Blackhole

nikudf9.gif

The kanji symbol that's on Kinnikuman's forehead (taken from the show's logo)

LT: Poor resolution on all of 'em, except that last logo, which looks too fan-made rather than a direct scan/resize of the show logo.

I was totally suprised that Metal Gear has absolutly nothing. So I tried making an avatar out of the MGS codec screen, which resulted in this:

mgssnakeavatarzc3.gif:arrow:mgssnakeavatarwz0.gif

Comments? Suggestions? Give 'em to me.

EDIT: Streched the contrast, see if that helps

Oh, and I have more where that came from if you guys want it.

LT: I think the original pic looks fine without the added contrast. Nice work.

Where is he? I PM'd him and he received it.

I found out that this avatar looks like crap on the dark OCR skin, so I reworked it (with and without background): ocr3lq5.gifocr4pc0.gif

LT: Got other things to do. Looks good though. It may or may not be a judge group avatar, but perhaps it may also be able to be used as a ReMixer avatar. Thanks, bro; we'll see what I can swing.

Good, Larry is back ^_^

Time to work, then:

(avatars)

LT: Ironically enough, now they're a bit too light. Adjust 'em a little more. These would make great additions.

I redid them, take a look:

blargg.gifbowser.gifbumpty.giffish.giffroggy.gifkoopa.giflakitu.gifmagikoopa.gifpiranhaplant.gifpoochy.gifraven.gifwiggler.gifyoshi.gif

LT: Still a bit too dark. Can you brighten them without causing them to turn whiter?

Not sure, but here's the next version of the TT avatars...

TTAvatars2.gif

Better? Worse? WTF?

LT: The images are too pixelated, i.e. they look like poo to begin with. Care to try with some other Teen Titan headshots?

First they're not sharp enough, then they're too pixelly. So damned picky :P

The problem with other head shots, is that there's not a lot of good production art. There's plenty of it, but the drawings are usually less than accurate to how they looked on the show. These head shots (gotten off of Cartoon Network's site for the show) are the best I've come across, as they're not making a stupid expression, and they're pretty accurate. Plus, with so many other sites using screengrab edits, I thought I'd use something that didn't seem to be common.

Anyway, I know... blah blah blah. I tried to soften up the edges a bit, and made them a bit brighter. So, here's another attempt while I look for some head shots from various episodes...

TTAvatars3.gif

LT: Looking at the actual CN site, those source pictures aren't even a good enough quality to work with, IMO. Good try though, the originals were just low-quality to begin with.

Sup guys. Whats going on in this thread?

Assassin's Creed

Altier

AssassinCreed_Altier_2.gif

AssassinCreed_Altier.gif

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Kyon

Haruhi_Kyon_2.gif

Haruhi_Kyon.gif

Yuki

Haruhi_Yuki_2.gif

Haruhi_Yuki.gif

Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom

PhantomofOpera_Phantom_2.gif

PhantomofOpera_Phantom.gif

LT: Either of the Kyons could be good if they were sharpened a little. The first Phantom looks good; the other's a bit too zoomed in. Great resolution though, very clean.

The other pics look like nothing. :-)