Two Questions...

I was wondering how to get the bass as powerful as that in the beginning of Mario Paint 'Intense Color' by Sephfire and SuperGreenX. Was there a specific Soundfont or VST plugin for that?

Also, I was wondering about the skipping too. Was that done in Acid? Would I just use the beatslicer thing in FL and chop out little peices?

Just some newb questions. ;)

(awesome song, btw)

Yeah. Synths were all pretty much Reason except for the chiptuney stuff which I used a free vsti for. The bass I think was some subtractor saw through some scream and unison, eq's and whatnot. It's also mirrored with another bass that's mostly just a low sinewav. The "buzzy" sounding bass didn't have enough lowend, so adding the low sinewav added it in there without sounding like wit was another instrument. Plus, I'm sure I did more eqing, compression, and distortion as I rewired Reason into Acid. A lot of what it takes to make Reason synths hot is the effects chain afterwords. They mostly sound poo poo on their own.

All the stutters and reverses and such were done in Acid. I rewire Reason into acid, select little pieces of the reason song I like, solo an instrument, and bounce a nice audio loop from Reason into Acid. Then I have an easy to manipulate piece that I can screw around in with audio edits and vst effects. I used a lot of Camelspace and Camelphat in this song.

Would I just use the beatslicer thing in FL and chop out little peices?

Just as a further sidenote, it is possible to get the stutter effect in beatslicer, but personally, when i'm cutting and stuttering my musicstuffs, i prefer to bounce the target track to wav and then use the playlist's cutting tool to chop and move around all my pieces. in my opinion, it's cleaner and less irritating than the beatslicer, plus there's less annoying pops and crackles.

here's an quick example of an original drumloop followed by the same loop cut and chopped up in the playlist. No other tools were used.

http://www.mythrilnazgul.com/drumloopcomparison.mp3

the playlist is extremely powerful for this sorta thing. dont underestimate it.

I tend to use the Fruity Granulizer for more controlled stutter effects, particularly if they need to change speed and tonality over time.

Otherwise, I have gotten more into the habit of beatslicing the way Myth is doing, directly on the playlist. It's a nice way to really mix up your drums.