Mario & jazz

icekatana

Wondering if anyone knows about the jazz songs that the original Super Mario sound track was based on. I believe 1-1 was a big band song or something like that. I very clearly recall the invincibility tune being taken from a bossa nova song (whose melody was eventually incorporated into the SMW2 invincibility theme). Also the underworld theme was taken from an 80s jazz funk song. I can't remember where I found any of this information but it would be greatly appreciated, as well as an opportunity to discuss videogame music's inspiration.

I think I remember something like this.... If I recall correctly it wasn't the exact song, but a very similar sound-alike, which happens quite often. I do know that they originally wanted to use an already established song for the original Zelda overworld though, so there may still be something to this.

All surf rock is derived from Dick Dale.

Yeah, mostly true (I'd say Link Wray was also a progenitor of the instrumental rock sound which became surf), but I'd like to try establishing more stark similarities in this thread, rather than stylistic ones.