PRC251 - Results - UFO's and A Crazy King (Ristar + UFO - Enemy Unknown)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 251

PRCv10-17

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

Last round, PRC250, has ended. Check the thread or ThaSauce link for the results.

For those who are interested, I uploaded a collection of old songs from Vgmix, OC Remix WIP Forum and other Video Game Remixes.

The archive contains the following tracks: https://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/OC%2BVG%20First%20Batch.xlsx?attredirects=0&d=1. EDIT: Links are removed. Contact me via PM if you want the archive or some songs of it.

The sources of these rounds are selected a couple of weeks ago. This round has two sources; one selected by Trism (PRC248's winner) and one by Evktalo (as round 249 winner). To participate, you only have to remix one of these songs, but remixing both in one song is encouraged. Trism and Evktalo can also take part, they should remix the song selected by the other person (Trism remixes Evktalo's source and Evktalo remixes Trism's source). They also can remix their own source as a bonus track.

The ThaSauce Thread is now up.

Woo hoo! My first PRC win!

I've chosen a source from one of my very favourite games of the Sega/Nintendo generation; Ristar. I wanted something upbeat so have gone for Crazy Kings, which is the boss music for the game.

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sega/genesis/Ristar-Boss_Battle.mid

Hi, my pick from PRC249 is Geoscape 2 from the original 1994 PC version of UFO: Enemy Unknown (XCOM: Ufo Defence in US). In my opinion this is the best game ever made, and the moody music suits the game extremely well. I've been playing OpenXCOM, an open source reimplementation of the game lately: http://www.openxcom.org

The music in the game was midi music, so the mid should be coming practically directly from the game. This piece is pretty long with many sections, so there should be enough material for various approaches.

This source pick is part of the PCReMix Initiative: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38300

MID link: http://www.justmidis.com/00-MIDI/2/001177531667/Geoscape%202

cheers and thanks again for all the great work running PRC!

--Eino

PRC251.jpg

Source 1: Ristar (GEN) - Crazy Kings (Boss Battle)

MIDI

Wiki

Source 2: UFO - Enemy Unknown (PC) - Geoscape 2

MIDI

Wiki

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC instructions

1. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 20 MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed (only as Bonus Mixes). If anyone has problems with uploading songs to ThaSauce let me know (in this thread) and post a download link to your song in this thread (so I can upload it to ThaSauce).
  2. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by TUESDAY August 20th 2013 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time: check my signature (below) or the ThaSauce page for the exact time left. Extended with one day
  3. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix. You can also post the song in this thread if that doesn't work. Then I'll make sure it works.
  4. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.
  5. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  6. The winner of this round may select the source for PRC252. That round will be a double source PRC as well (the winner of PRC250 also selects a source for this round).
  7. The winner of PRC248 and PRC249, Trism and Evktalo can participate in this round. However, if they participate, their vote won't count twice.
  8. You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

Doulifee's PRC Archives! For information about the previous contests.

PRC

Edited by Bundeslang

For anyone interested in some VG remixes done in the past, I uploaded a second archive with 109 old Video Game Remixes from over 5 years ago. The following songs are in that archive:

https://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/OC%2BVG%20Second%20Batch.xlsx?attredirects=0&d=1

EDIT: Dropbox disabled the files for some reason (probably they are to big), so if anyone wants the archives or some songs of those, they can contact me via PM.

Edited by Bundeslang

sigh I have a lot of 'life' happening in the next few days so I'm not sure if I'll make this .. but I also hate not participating so I'll do my best.

side note: Most of the time, I don't put in a lot of time for these compos. Actually, the very first one I entered for Jazz Jackrabbit 2, I got "inspired" and stayed up until 3am making the remix, and ended up winning (beginner's luck of course, as evidenced by my many wooden spoons :lmassoff:). Since then, I mostly spend a few hours making the remix, usually because I run out of material quickly. I definitely would rather participate than not, but I do want to push myself to really put more time and effort into my mixes--I would get more out of it if I did. Just livejournaling out loud :D

I'm a little late, but...

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has 3 songs. To vote, do the following:

- Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries

- Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen.

- Fill in the rank of the entries from first to third.

- State a reasoning for it.

- Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. However, they may not vote for themselve so they should leave the third box empty. They get a free first place bonus if they vote, so it is attractive to vote. Non participants are very encouraged to vote to decide the winner and leave comments.

Trism has a double vote.

You have until THIS Thursday, August 22nd 10:59 am ThaSauce time to vote (which is exactly 2 days from now), check my signature in the first post or simply the ThaSauce page for the exact time you have.

The winner gets the right to choose the source tune for PRC252.

Check the ThaSauce Page to vote.

It's results time.

Total number of mixes - 3

Total number of votes - 5

Maximum Score - 15.

Voting stats can be found in this picture. After a good start, DrumJ8 didn't win it.

Voting251.png

DrumJ8 deserved better, but claims another the last place wooden spoon with 11 points.

Sggod89 got 12 points and ends at the second place.

And the winner of PRC251 is Evktalo with 13 points.

Congratulations Evktalo, it was a close call, but you are the winner. You may select a source for PRC252. Send your source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix).

You may select any source from any game, as long as it doesn't have an Overclocked Remix and it hasn't been on PRC before. Check it at the list:

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

Send your source as fast as you can, but before this Friday, 23 August 2013.

You can find the votes with comments here:

http://compo.thasauce.net/votes/index/PRC251

Congratulations Eino! =)

Yep, rare for me to pop into a compo thread full stop, but when I saw OMG RISTAR being involved this week, I thought this might be something to keep an eye on. It's a tricky source to go for as well - has its moment of structure, but melody sounds so difficult to work with, and you managed to push a great arrangement idea out of that one.

I am indeed considering your track for this week's SEGA Mixer Drive as well - you'll get my support on air :D

congratz evktalo! and props to sggod89 for adding some competition :D

I tried to incorporate both sources (not sure if it was very apparent). There wasn't much method to the madness this time due to no time (actually there typically is not much method to my madness anyway :P), but I just tried to listen to both sources and incorporate both. I thought it was an interesting coincidence that both sources had a prominent descending 4 note phrase.

Congratulations Eino! =)

I am indeed considering your track for this week's SEGA Mixer Drive as well - you'll get my support on air :D

Thanks! That'd be cool!

I tried to incorporate both sources (not sure if it was very apparent). There wasn't much method to the madness this time due to no time (actually there typically is not much method to my madness anyway :P), but I just tried to listen to both sources and incorporate both. I thought it was an interesting coincidence that both sources had a prominent descending 4 note phrase.

Ahh duhh, how did I not pick out the UFO theme from your track. I hear it in there now.

Thanks for all the feedback in the votes! I'll keep working on this mix too, though I have something of a backlog to work on (but then my mixes always take years to finish).

--Eino