OCR02721 - Final Fantasy VI "The Endless Stair"

Liontamer

Argle's track was a surprise favorite of mine from the album, surprise in that I never much liked the source tune (mainly because of the length of the dungeon it's in and I could never beat the bloody dragon at the end), but it feels like this is a natural progression of the source, and captures the feel of the environment the original music was set in perfectly. I'll definitely be listening to this Remix the next time I'm getting my ass handed to me by that dragon.

This mix fits a good niche where it's not only good on it's own, but it's almost perfectly written for use as BGM for a tabletop game. It's got a slow build and enough of a pattern that it's easy to set loop points and while it's got a lot of character, it's unassuming enough that it won't distract from the narrative. Seriously impressive work.

Just an FYI, for the comments they took two separate comments from me (from my OCR sub & the album) and mashed them together. So if it reads a bit... incoherent... that is the reason! :lol:

Too late! Overclocked posterity will forever regard you as a blathering psychotic. it looks totally normal to me.

Really great escalation, fall down, re-escalation on the mix here. It never feels stagnant.

A tremendous effort here, as a simple/repetitive source is given a huge infusion of life, scale, and feeling. This is a good remix, sure, and there a lot of absolutely phenomenal remixes on the album, but this might be one of the most talented remixes - to turn this source into a GREAT song takes really impressive vision and chops. djpretzel nails it: if you've even played 30 seconds of God of War, listen to this mix - it would be right at home here. That's a compliment.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of my favorite tracks from B&R. The whole album is great obviously, but to me, the best tracks are the ones that make THE BEST POSSIBLE-SOUNDING VERSION of the original. "The Endless Stair" is the absolute best that the Tower of Fanatics theme can be. The mood is flawless and the buildup is impeccable. I applaud Argle for his contribution and point to the fact that I finally registered in this forum just to post this.

• 2 weeks later...
This is one of my favorite tracks from B&R. The whole album is great obviously, but to me, the best tracks are the ones that make THE BEST POSSIBLE-SOUNDING VERSION of the original. "The Endless Stair" is the absolute best that the Tower of Fanatics theme can be. The mood is flawless and the buildup is impeccable. I applaud Argle for his contribution and point to the fact that I finally registered in this forum just to post this.

Man that's a great compliment. Thanks for listening!

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I'm absolutely loving this remix - it's pretty much perfection (and I already liked it in the game). Listening to it daily... however there seem to be a few parts where it was made too loud and thus is distorted (e.g. 1:29 / 1:35 and so on and on)... with this being a true masterpiece, I think it would be amazing to fix those parts. Either way, it's one of my favorite instrumental tracks ever. Hats off to you and thank you for sharing this!

On 1/21/2020 at 7:29 PM, Fanatic said:

I'm absolutely loving this remix - it's pretty much perfection (and I already liked it in the game). Listening to it daily... however there seem to be a few parts where it was made too loud and thus is distorted (e.g. 1:29 / 1:35 and so on and on)... with this being a true masterpiece, I think it would be amazing to fix those parts. Either way, it's one of my favorite instrumental tracks ever. Hats off to you and thank you for sharing this!

Hey there, I listened to these parts but they sound fine to me.  Any distortion in this track is definitely intentional.

On 1/28/2020 at 6:51 PM, Argle said:

Hey there, I listened to these parts but they sound fine to me.  Any distortion in this track is definitely intentional.

Hi Argle - thanks for taking the time to reply and once again thank you for the awesome track! You're a serious talent that I hope to hear much more from - amazing work! :)

Hmmm, looks like my speakers (KEF LSX) somehow amplify those parts too much then - those parts are indeed less prominent on my headphones.

23 hours ago, Fanatic said:

Hi Argle - thanks for taking the time to reply and once again thank you for the awesome track! You're a serious talent that I hope to hear much more from - amazing work! :)

Thanks man!  I have a lot of other tracks posted here, check them out.  Sadly have not produced any music in the last 5-6 years, I hope to remedy that some day.

On 1/31/2020 at 6:43 PM, Argle said:

Thanks man!  I have a lot of other tracks posted here, check them out.  Sadly have not produced any music in the last 5-6 years, I hope to remedy that some day.

I will! :) And I absolutely hope you do - I'm sure that spark and mindset will soon come back, you just need to find the right muse/inspiration. 

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02721 - Final Fantasy VI "The Endless Stair"