Streets of Rage ReMix Album (Part 1/3) - Next check-in: May 31st - Four sources open!

DusK

Streets of Rage

3-year/3-album Project

News

Next check-in date: May 31st. The bulk of the remix should be done around this time.

The Vision

In 1999, OverClocked ReMix was born out of a desire to acknowledge video game music as an art form through interpretive arrangement. To that end, the community has expanded into the single-best music-centric community on the Internet, and host to some of the greatest independent musical talent the Internet has to offer.

The 16-bit era played a large role in that. One 16-bit game series that seems to be near and dear to many hearts is the Streets of Rage series. Despite this, it has never spawned an album here.

In an effort to pay tribute not only to the game series and it's fantastic composer, Yuzo Koshiro, but also to the 90s and this fantastic community, I'm starting direction on a three-album project. Each album will be as close as possible to a year apart in release, with a year-long development time each.

Genre and Music Guidelines

There aren't really any genre restrictions per se, but the project is a nod to both the music of 90s and the OC ReMix community. With that in mind, remixes should:

a) Draw inspiration from 90s or late-80s music, and

B) Incorporate a musical style that is preferred by the remixer(s)

This is intended to be an official OC ReMix album. You'll be expected to deliver a remix that meets OverClocked ReMix's quality standards. Be prepared to continuously work on your remix until it meets that standard. If you're having trouble coming up with a suitable 90s genre, check this Wikipedia article for some examples.

I'd like to maintain a certain level of secrecy for this album. Previously-released tracks are ineligible. Remixes that you have finished or almost finished but haven't put out there yet are fair game, but keep in mind that this album won't be releasing until late next year. Jus' somethin' to think about.

What We Need

ReMixers! Can't have a remix album without that, no matter how hard you try. ;)

Talent evaluators. People who are up for helping me out with feedback delivery. One head isn't as good as... more than one head. OCR staff preferred.

Visual artist. Preferably one that can stick around for the whole three years and do art for all three albums.

Someone to come up with some bitchin' names for these albums. Seriously, throw 'em out there. I'm all ears. Eyes. Whatever.

Resources

pu_freak can contribute piano bits.

Orangedragan is a male baritone vocalist willing to collaborate.

Damashii!! is down for "horn/brass hits, funk guitar and/or vocal one shots, and anything else in the field of funk 'garnish' or 'sprinkles' to add to your arrangements, if needed at all."

Chenabogue is offering orchestra and drum programming.

BrothaDom is offering backup and rap vocals.

Claiming a Track

Anyone can claim a source. Simply post here or PM me expressing your interest in remixing the source. First come, first served. Once you make a claim, you have three weeks from the day of your claim to deliver a substantial WIP that clearly conveys the direction you plan on taking your remix and, if you're not a posted ReMixer, demonstrates your ability to produce and arrange on a level expected of an OC ReMix release.

If you miss the deadline, or turn in a WIP that doesn't meet the album vision or quality guidelines to an acceptable degree, your source will be re-opened, and you will not be allowed to claim any source without providing a WIP that meets the qualifications. Don't be one of those guys who's all like "I wanna claim a track but not show you anything for over a month." Please be ready, and please be dedicated.

Bonus remixes will be considered once all of the source tracklist is claimed.

Tracklist

Black: Unclaimed

Red: Claimed

Green: WIP

Blue: Finished WAV

Bold Blue: Consent form signed and track notes/artist links submitted

1. The Street of Rage - Fallen Seraph

2. Player Select - Zone Runners

3. Fighting in the Street - G-Mixer & Damashii!!

4. Attack the Barbarian - spellmynamewithabang

5. Dilapidated Town (

)

6. Moon Beach (http://youtu.be/Z0ijFNPfP14)

7. Keep the groovin' - Garpocalypse

8. Beatnik on the Ship (http://youtu.be/nSyc7gXMnAM)

9. Stealthy Steps - CJthemusicdude

10. Violent Breathing (http://youtu.be/CCCQzB5nnRk)

11. The Last Soul - Mak Eightman

12. Big Boss - DusK

13. My little baby (good ending) - Tuberz McGee

14. You Became the Bad Guy! - Detective Tuesday

Edited by DusK

Two questions, if i may.

Firstly, would we be allowed to bring rap to a remix? Mainly because that's kinda what i do, and i know some people are not too keen on the genre being put over their vidya games tunes! As long as you're cool with vocal remixes then ok! XD

Secondly, what are the proposed deadlines and check in dates for WIPs? It does say there that once a track has been claimed the remixer has about two weeks to cook something up for an initial WIP, and that's all very well and good but is there a projected deadline schedule for this project? Like, all final WAVs need to be in by a certain point?

(main reason i am asking is because i would like to claim a track but i'm just a vocalist so i need time to lock down a collaborator for the tune if i did jump on board this project)

Either way, i absolutely love Streets of Rage and i have waited ages for a project like this to kick off. I'm very interested in jumping on board, just need to know a few more details.

Thanks! :)

Edited by DiGi Valentine

Yeah, just a word in. Talking it over with halc right now but we should be down for taking a track on this here.

I'm looking at the Player Select tune (so i'm kinda trying to call dibs on it, naughty me), but again i'm just ironing out the ideas with halc before we make our selection official, yo! :D

Thank you for starting this project, DusK man. It's been a long time coming.

Player Select is sick and I can't wait to hear what you two do with it!
Haha! XD Thanks, man! I appreciate that! Player Select is just that kind of tune that's begging for a quick lyrical throw down, i've been waiting years to jump on it!

As for you though, definitely consider jumping on this project, man! Definitely!

WOW. This thread blew up.

Firstly, would we be allowed to bring rap to a remix? Mainly because that's kinda what i do, and i know some people are not too keen on the genre being put over their vidya games tunes! As long as you're cool with vocal remixes then ok! XD

I would actually love to see some old-school flavor hip-hop make it onto this album.

Secondly, what are the proposed deadlines and check in dates for WIPs? It does say there that once a track has been claimed the remixer has about two weeks to cook something up for an initial WIP, and that's all very well and good but is there a projected deadline schedule for this project? Like, all final WAVs need to be in by a certain point?

(main reason i am asking is because i would like to claim a track but i'm just a vocalist so i need time to lock down a collaborator for the tune if i did jump on board this project)

Well, the project just started, so I'm playing it by ear. I won't be putting any check-in deadlines down until people start grabbing tracks, because I want to give the remixers a reasonable timeframe to work in without being bothered. I'd put a final WAV deadline around summer of next year.

I'll mark you and halc down.

Dude. You're talking to the king of vocal ReMixes <3

Dustin's the man.

Flattery will get you everywhere. ;)

Speaking of vocals, voice for hire here! I'm too white to rap, but other than that, I'm good. :P

I'll put you down as a resource. A very recommended resource.

If you sent me a PM, I haven't checked all that stuff out yet, but I'm getting on that right meow. Thanks for the interest, everyone!