Guitar gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Line6 Spider II 1x12

Check these out, I just got them last night. I'm pretty excited. They play together beautifully.

I have no idea what in the world to do with all those effects though. Most music I hear is either distorted or clean. I have no idea what to do with the flange, tremelo, etc.

So does anyone else here play? What kind of gear ya'lls got?

For electric, I play a Suier Standard Stratocaster (cheap piece-o-shit) through a crate vtx 15 amp (cheap piece-o-shit). For recording, I usually direct record and render with Guitar Suite.

For acoustic, I use a Yamaha Nippon Gakki FG80, which I record with a shure SM57 mic.

I'm saving up to replace my guitars; I'll either get a Taylor T5 (yes, I'm getting the custom koa top if I get a T5), or a pair of Josh Rebick custom-built guitars (one acoustic, one electric).

I use a Washburn Cheap-knockoff-from-thailand, and I don't use an amp. I use a Zoom PFX-9003 through my computer. ( http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/pfx9003/index.php )

The PFX-9003, which I have dubbed Mr.Zoom, is pretty amazing.

I'm glad that somebody started a thread like this, though, as I was thinking about buying a 7-string guitar and need further help to make a decision. Nowhere around here has one in stock that I can play around with, so I'm kinda leaning towards no. The one I was thinking about is the Schecter Damien 7.

As far as non-electric, I've got a 1969 Classical from Japan and a Crafter Half-size acoustic, which is a really nice guitar.

Weird, Taucer... after all this time, seeing you sig almost everday, I never realized that you played guitar... :lol:

Good luck with that saving. When you get it, make some remixes with that Taylor so we can all hear it's beautiful sound.

For recording, I usually direct record and render with Guitar Suite.

I have no idea what you're talking about... can you explain a little better?

I personally use a Shure SM57 plugged into my computer's 1/8" mic input. Doesn't sound too great, but the peice of junk won't run any of the real equipment that I buy.

I play a squier stagemaster, pretty much a strat with a twin pivot tremelo and a humbucker in the bridge. pretty good guitar, I've had it for some time. I've got that hooked up to an old 15 watt Peavy transtube and a Boss MT-2 pedal, a Morley wah pedal, and an old cheap chorus pedal that I've tinkered with to make different sounds.

I have a Lucero acoustic that I play too. Just a cheap guitar I picked up a while back at guitar center. Plays nice and sounds decent.

and I play bass too.

guitars -

transparent blue jackson flying v with floyd rose tremolo. It is my main guitar. It sounds fucking great.

brown peavey patriot (early eighties model). It is my backup guitar. It is good for lead guitar, but weak on crunch.

I also have an applause acoustic, a fender californian acoustic, and an ibanez twelve string acoustic

amp -

Carvin X-amp, from the mid-nineties. 100 watts, cabinet with four ten inch speakers

effects -

I have an old digitech RP-1 and a Boss ME-50. I usually only use the distortion, reverb, delay and chorus. Anything else is seldom used.

I keep reading the thread title as "Guilty gear" or "Guitar hero." Which, coincidentally, happen to be two of the most awesome games in existence.

Ha. Yeah... you're a geek. I do it too though. That song "Dance Dance" by Fall Out Boy always make me think of DDR and Fallout.

Weird, Taucer... after all this time, seeing you sig almost everday, I never realized that you played guitar... :lol:
Um... have you heard my remixes? I play guitar in all of them. :|
Good luck with that saving. When you get it, make some remixes with that Taylor so we can all hear it's beautiful sound.
I'm actually leaning more towards the two custom guitars. My cousin builds guitars, and he's giving me a collossal discount on a custom job. I think I could probably get more bang for my buck with him than from Taylor.

Either way, yes, I will most definitely be using the new guitars in my mixes.

For recording, I usually direct record and render with Guitar Suite.

I have no idea what you're talking about... can you explain a little better?

When I record electric guitar, instead of using my amp, I plug directly into my mixer, which is plugged directly into my soundcard. I then use Guitar Suite, a set of VST amp modelers from www.simulanalog.org.
I personally use a Shure SM57 plugged into my computer's 1/8" mic input. Doesn't sound too great, but the peice of junk won't run any of the real equipment that I buy.

I plug my sm57 into my mixer (UB502), which I plug into my soundcard (E-MU 1212M). I get reasonably good sound quality from it.

EDIT: simulanalog is .org, not .com

Um... have you heard my remixes? I play guitar in all of them. :|

I just looked them up... I've never heard these before. Not sure how missed them. Now that I've heard them, I have to say that they are both quite enjoyable though. I love celtic music, and that Kirby one was fantastic.

My dad built an electric guitar back in about 1967. It's not too well made, as it was only a hobby project, but it's still in good shape after 40 years. I don't really play guitar though, but with my keyboarding experience I can play some simple solo lines.

I don't have an amp; I use some freeware software instead - those Guitar Suite VSTs that Taucer mentioned sound pretty cool. However, I ordered one of these bad boys for recording MIDI piano and mic preamping, plus it has a guitar amp simulator. It won't be coming for a while, though, since it's a brand new item for many retailers and they sold out their initial stock (which wasn't much to begin with) very quickly.

I record into my compy with Audacity. If anybody has a better completely free program, please tell me.

As for a good cheap guitar, I'd recommend just browsing http://www.musiciansfriend.com . You don't have to buy it from there, but they've got reviews and all that...that's where I found the Schecter Damien 7...

I think I just need a better electric in general and not nessecarily a 7 string. I'm thinking about looking into the Schecter Omen 6 a bit more...anybody on here know much about Schecter in general?

What's a good cheapish electric guitar for a beginner? I want to get one maybe this summer. I've been learning a bit of acoustic.

I'm not planning on buying an amp, but getting something like PodXT to get it into the computer for recording and whatnot. Is this a good choice?

I started off with (and still use) a squier stratocaster. It's the electric guitar I used in Canvas of Dreams and Lover Reef.

It's useable.

But I find the more I get into electric guitar stuff, the less I like my strat. It goes out of tune quite quickly (instantly if you use the whammy bar), it's noisy as hell through an amp (especially with distortion), and its distorted tones (especially for edgy, metal-type tones) leaves something to be desired.

Cleaner tones are decent, though.

My advice would be this; if you just want a cheap guitar that you can play and maybe to a little recording with, but don't plan to really become much of an electric guitarist, a squier strat will probably be fine. If you have any intention of really getting into electric guitar, save your money and get something better.

Ya know what? I never posted info on my gear except for the stuff I just purchased.

I have a several guitars... for electric, as I stated earlier, I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and a Line6 Spider II 1x12. I used to have an Ibanez DTX-120 Destroyer, but the neck snapped in half when I left it on the floor, and accidentally stepped on it. It didn't even go out in a cool way like getting smashed or something... :cry: It was a good guitar...

For effects, I use a combination of the amp effects and a DigiTech RPX-400.

For acoustic, I play an Ovation Balladeer Special (can't find a picture). I usually just play it unplugged at home, and if I have some kind of gig, I'll just plug in clean into the sound system. I used to use some sort of discontinued Carvin amp (which was very good), but the sound started cutting out on me. That's the last time I buy something like that used.