"Bush Grass" (Cave Story - On To Grasstown)

Holy crap - Grass town was my favorite track on that game (and that's saying something - the whole game had really good music). Don't disappoint me on this :-P.

I like the sounds your using - they fit well with the genre. The melodic echoes seem rather bland in the beginning - check out what the guy did with the echoes in the game. They diminuendo and hard pan to each side to create some interest in them. Perhaps you don't need to do the same thing, but leaving them to repeat like that detracts from the music.

That base that enters later is... off. The different harmonies are interesting, but most of the time it clashes with the texture (which sounds like it's from the game). Either make the bass follow the texture or have the texture follow the bass better, because it just sounds off, harmonically.

Thank god you left the transition from the intro to the core of the song - that's one of my favorite parts of the source :).

The production is a bit bass-heavy (and lower mid heavy), so you may need to lower that in the EQ of the music.

It's a bit conservative, even with the changes to the harmonies. Try tinkering with the structure of the music a bit more - that should give you the variety you need.

Overall, not too bad, but it could use some work. I hope this helps!

Source is there, but this kind'a sounds like source playing over some added tracks, not much interpretation of source itself. Not sure the lofi/chipsynth sound is gonna work either, at least not for the entirety of the track. There's this weird imbalance between the types of sounds. If I were you I'd lose the chippy lead at :48 when the track changes tone anyway. Intro is pretty, after that it gets potentially badass, but you gotta mix it right and have the right lead and the write rewrite of the melody. Bringing back the chipsynth at the ending would work, it sounds great as the badass stuff fades. However, in between intro and ending, I would use a more rude lead, possibly up the speed/intensity of the main drum pattern (the industrial/perucssion atmosphere you've got in there is great).

Hm, Gario ninja'd a post while i was talking sd3 elsewhere. Oh well.

This ain't bad, but it needs more beef in the middle. More love for Cave Story is always great. :D

• 4 years later...

hey 2009, the future says what up four years later. it's 2013 now. crazy.

new account, new wip of this mix here

old one isn't even available anymore so it's almost like we're starting fresh, which is good, because the old version of this mix blows

NOTES:

-obviously after the first chorus it's kinda fuzzy, it just stops at that one point because i'm not sure where to go next

-not sure about how hard i want that kick but eh

I like the relaxed pace. I like how the organ stays put at the start. The sound is quite muddy, but pleasantly warm and lo-fi. I believe you can have the pleasantness without the muddiness, I think for instance the overall sound is a bit bass-heavy. The biggest cripe is that, when the bass starts moving, there's some serious disharmony on the third chord especially, either the bass needs to change a bit or the other writing should follow the bass. I think I like how the bass moves, since it adds a new thing to the original, so the other writing should be adjusted. It's very close though! There's some interesting tension in there, but there's probably just a note or a couple there that make it sound jarring (in a bad way).

I also like those percussive bits right at the end. This reminds me of something I used to listen to long time ago, and I can't recall it at all. Pretty neat!

--Eino

thanks! yeah, the mixing is really, really off and I can't do much to fix that for now (my headphones are broken so I'm mixing on laptop speakers that sound like this) but re: everything else

- i agree about the writing, i need to fiddle with that and accent the shit out of it

- what's everyone's feelings about the voice on the chorus? i think it needs something more but i'm not...quite sure what that would be

fiddled with it a little more today, gonna post a second version probably later tonight: click

things i already know i need to do:

-i'm splitting the bass into five notes; the third section marks a quick key change (or chromaticism, or whatever you call it) that needs to be addressed with a snap-back right before it becomes dissonant; this still has the bass the previous version had

-there are terrible samples at the beginning; that's not at all final (i'm going to play everything that's not a synth patch or a drum machine/breakbeat live by the end of this) and neither is their sparsity; i'm messing around with that section a little bit more because i'm not happy with it

-right before it kicks in there's a weird pop because the filter didn't cutoff at the right time; i'll fix that as soon as i can (as that vine i posted demonstrates hearing low-freq sound mistakes like that before i export is nigh-impossible)

-also right before it kicks in i think i need a small anticipatory moment but i'm not exactly sure what that would be! i'll figure it out, don't despair

-none of the synth line at the end is even close to final, that's really basic sketchwork

other than that and the mixing in general i think that about covers it! fire away

• 2 weeks later...

You now have one thread. I'm discussing getting your accounts merged, as well - next time there are issues please PM a mod.

For this track, it's pretty peaceful. Some of the instruments sound a little weird, for my taste (like at 1:22, that fading lead is distracting). Overall the melody could use to stand out more, so people could follow it easier, as well.

The drums are very repetitive - I highly suggest not relying on the same beat throughout the track. Vary it up more often. That applies to the piece as a whole; variety is your friend. While it's relatively tight, it is a pretty boring listen.

I'm still quite happy that you're doing a Grassland remix - that is still my favorite source from that game. ;)

I'll see what I can do so you can edit this thread with ease - hang tight on it.

Edit: DS merged your former accounts - that should make things easier for all of us, I think. :)

Edited by Gario