Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master Remix Project (Phase Zero: We gotta begin before we begin)

Shinobi-3.jpg

shinobi three: return of the ninja master

[ an overclocked remix album project ]

the bottom line:

basically, shinobi III has one of the best soundtracks of any 16-bit game, and maybe one of the best soundtracks of all time

I've never played the arcade Shinobi games. I've never played Alex Kidd in Shinobi World. I've never played Shadow Dancer. I think it has a wolf in it. I've also never played Shinobi X, (thankfully), or the PS2 games, or the recent 3DS one (though I want to). I've played Revenge of Shinobi but I never got very far in it because it was kinda slow and boring and too hard compared to Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master.

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master is an incredible game. It's like if you combined buttered toast and jumping off a swingset. It's gorgeous, it's fast, and it's smooth as coconut rum. And it's got a bitchin' OST. Don't believe me? listen to it rn ok dude i'll wait

tracklist (roughly in the order you'd hear it in-game)

plus:

are you done ok good here's the concept

the concept:

practically nobody seems to know it, so let's tell them, and do so aggressively

By "it," I mean that first thing: this game has a kickin' soundtrack. It's rougher than the rest of them and tougher than leather. And I want it to be shouted from fuckin' mountaintops and done so with dripping, glorious style.

There are only two Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master rearrangements on OCR. Let's change that!

what it is:

an album, duh

I'm fully intending for this to be an official OverClocked ReMix album, with all that that implies*

*that implies songs with ridiculous, impeccable production value and some degree of compositional ingenuity

and I want it to be a cohesive album; this is going to be something you could stand beside anything in your library and be like "yeah dude this is a bitchin' album," not "yeah dude this is a collection of songs, some of which I kinda like!"

That's an insanely vague concept, necessarily so, and it obviously can't be clarified further until we get more of an idea of what people are even going to be doing on this album! But suffice to say that I want it to be a big, nasty love-in; people shouldn't be getting egocentric and making holed-in bunker tracks unless they're really, really perfect ones. There should be some amount of collaboration between parties, here!

what needs to happen right now:

these things

This is going to be a little unorthodox compared to some other albums around here, so maybe pay attention!

-there aren't any spots to claim (at least right now); instead, people should just go ahead and start making things. don't wait on my permission to start! just make things and send them my way via personal message

-once a suitable amount of interest is drummed up in here we can start piecing it together more and assigning spots and roles and so forth!

-no need to worry about the art, i'll do it myself! and no, the thing above isn't the cover, it's just a thing i quickly sketched for this thread

for now there is no deadline to worry about; let's focus on getting the ball rolling. this is probably going to be a long-term project, so picture a final deadline (and release) one or two years from now. like, 2015, maybe. That's a lot of time!

in short:

listen to the soundtrack, make things you want to make, send them to me, and then we can worry about moving further ahead

does that sound good

Edited by spellmynamewithabang

This is rad... and I'd totally take a track if I wasn't swimming in obligations right now. :/
I would very much be interested in doing something for this.

However, too many commitments + arm injuries at the moment means it would be a couple of months before I could get anything to you. :-?

Don't worry about it! Take your time with things; mostly as this stands right now I'm just trying to gauge how much interest there'd be for this project, as it's not a game I hear brought up often. It's close to my favorite Genesis game (Sonic 3+K and Comix Zone maybe -just- clinch it) and it's one of the best ones on the console and yet very few people seem to actually, like, realize it exists, at least not the same way they realize Revenge of Shinobi exists (which is baffling, considering how much better this one is).

I plan to put track slots up to be claimed early-mid September, at which point we can start with a more concrete direction for what this is going to look like in the long run.