Zelda Underworld and Zelda Fairy Theme - "You Will Not Survive"

Clem

I made this crazy remix about the life and death(s) of Link and thought some of you hangin in this forum might like it:

https://soundcloud.com/brent-wollman/you-will-not-survive

It's a project I've wanted to tackle for a long time :razz:

Edit:

The outro section was arranged by my multi-instrumentally talented friend Brendan Hannigan (Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/brendanhannigan)

Edited by Clem

Words fail... this is sooooo strange... and wonderful... emotive cinematic intro, tiny fairy bells, glitching, grungy dubstep, wait what, jazz? You surprised me repeatedly. I LOVE THIS.

Haha I'm glad you dig it man :)

Alright, let's check out some eclectic stuff.

Sweeeeet orchestral intro. Intense reverses. Glitching wobbles? =OOO

Hm... Maybe at 2:02, some pads would fill things out until 3:00. The part afterwards is sooooo awesome. Aaaaaand shift to smooth jazz. xD

This is a pretty hilarious remix. I liked it. =D

Yea, that's a fair point. I kept it so simple because I liked how it gave such a strong focus to the harmony from the fairy theme. Those changes are just so damn perfect. 8)

I was inspired a lot by this fantastic mix: "Magic Fountain" http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02058/

Also, I forgot to mention in the first post that pretty much all of the outro jazz section was the work of my friend, who is a killer musician, Brendan Hannigan (you can see his soundcloud here: https://soundcloud.com/brendanhannigan). I just recorded and mixed it and programmed the drums. Gotta give props, I thought he nailed it.

First things first, very good job on the production.

I really enjoyed almost everything!

The way the kick subtly comes in at 2:23 is nice.

Great orchestral overture.

Love the jazz section.

But!

Your biggest problem by far (if you plan on submitting) is the medley-like aspect of the arrangement as a whole. What I mean by that is it sounds like many arrangements together instead of one solid arrangement.

At 2:00 it completely begins to sound like a different mix. Yes, that's when the source changes to the fairy theme, but it has to transition well, which it does not.

The same thing happens at 4:00. It's as if a new track begins to play.

Also, around 1:00 the arps are too buried behind the wobbles at first, so try bringing them forward a bit, like how they are at 1:06. Just a bit, though.

A few minor things that irked me are the transitions at 3:18 and 4:37. They're not necessarily bad, but I think they could have been executed better. The drop doesn't quite flow from the build-up, and the record spin into the jazz section could use more buildup or something to let the listener know what's coming, otherwise it sounds too hasty, especially so soon after the "third track" starts at 4:00.

And the low health sound effect. It's not bad, but it doesn't add anything to your mix. If anything, it makes those transitions sound even more awkward. Either incorporate it better by fixing the transitions, or get rid of it.

Again, your main priority should be smoothing out 1:35-2:00 and 3:50-4:37. Make it one track, not three. Transitions, transitions, transitions.

While the genre variety is nice, you need good transitions to make it work.

But good job, really. Once you consolidate this mix, I could totally see it getting posted.

Edited by Elder Kirby