Cave Story Theme (Remix)

Ayotom

Cave Story is one of my all-time favorite games. The theme for it is especially one of my favorites. I wanted to attempt to remix this theme. I can admit there are mistakes in this remix I wish I would have corrected. This is the first time I tried making a remix like this. Let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/ayotom_official/ayotom-cave-story-theme-remix

I can admit there are mistakes in this remix

then why is your thread topic listed as "finished?" i do not understand

anyway: cave story is my favorite game so that's both bias for and against you; i love any and all attempts at doing anything with the music from this game (cough) but at the same time i'm a lot more critical of any attempt to do something with it as a result

so here's the skinny on this: it's shrill. those mids are killing me! maybe this is just my speakers but this is so chippy it hurts, and in a way that's at odds with the pleasant warmth of the original's pxtone stuff. try programming some more complex synth tones, here! my ears would love you for it, seriously

the drums could be switched up a lot but the production on them is more-or-less alright i guess

it gets really muddy once it drops, though; there's like, no bass. where my bass at dog

in a mix like this you need mega bass

also, it kind of just repeats without much arrangement (it's actually more repetitive than the original; some parts you've taken ) and is really, REALLY safe! take some liberties with the source! you don't have to go all prog-crazy to make something that's a little more interesting than this; Quicksander might not be my favorite mix of all time but it's a pretty good example of how to not lavishly stick to the source with an edm mix like this.

idk i hope you do more with this! i love cave story and i'd like to see where this could take you if you stuck with it.

I really do want to do more with it. Next time I try to work on something like this I will need to focus more on the EQ'ing and what-not. This was actually out of my realm of comfort so I do apologize for the mastering mistakes and any other mistake you here haha. Every day I try to teach myself something new. I hope to one day get professional training on production! Thanks for your review.