RPG Battle Theme (along the lines of SNES RPG's - FInal Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc)

DarkDjinn

FInally finished this RPG battle theme/random encounter theme. It took me a while to figure out how to get the intro to stand out, ended up using a string section and oboe and it gave it a weird effect that I ended up liking a lot. I consider it finished but I definitely welcome any feedback or constructive criticism (especially regarding my guitar recording technique).

Recorded in Garageband.

Guitar/bass recorded using a Line 6 UX1 and PODFarm.

Drums created in EZDrummer.

Strings/oboe written in Finale 2012, and had a friend run the oboe part through Miroslav.

http://www.reverbnation.com/bradcharles/song/18348561-rpg-battle-theme

Ha, I think the guitar tone is PERFECT for the genre. LOVE it!!

For getting more 'production level' tones for rock music, it pays to have some good guitar equipment. I've found a Shure SM57 to be the 'magic mic', at least for entry level studio mics.

I'm not 'experienced' at recording guitars yet but I have been having fun with micing up my cab and trying to see how the tone is affected by moving the mic around in relation to the speaker. The position of the mic between the dust cap on the speaker near the centre and the outside edge of the speaker makes a difference in tone. As you move the mic more towards the edge, you hear more low frequencies and less high ones. Closer to the centre yields the opposite shift.

I was told that changing the angle of the mic, whether it be perpendicular to the grill cloth, or at and angle, also changes the sound of the mic. I have yet to experiment with this parameter.

From a quick listen, it sounds like you've fixed my earlier arrangement critics regarding the intro, and the sound also sounds more balanced. I'll give it a closer listen later on. Good work!

You should probably only post one thread per track though. If you do an update, post in the old thread. You can also edit to update the first post with the new link.

--Eino

From a quick listen, it sounds like you've fixed my earlier arrangement critics regarding the intro, and the sound also sounds more balanced. I'll give it a closer listen later on. Good work!

You should probably only post one thread per track though. If you do an update, post in the old thread. You can also edit to update the first post with the new link.

--Eino

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate the earlier tips, I certainly took them into consideration when doing this version of the song.

About the multiple threads - I'll keep that in mind. I don't know how to change the other one to say "Finished" after I originally made it say "Work-in-Progress" though, so that's why I made a new one. My first time using forums is when I joined this site about a month ago, so I'm still learning that stuff. I'll try to figure it out.

Thanks again!