The "who uses what" thread

• 2 weeks later...

Programs:

Audactiy

FL6 (previously, i used FL4.1 - still a solid program)

Reason 2.5

Instruments

Selmer Series III Super Balanced Action Alto Sax, Soprano Sax, and Bari Sax

Selmer Mark VI Tenor Sax

Peavey Foundation Electric Bass

Alvarez *i think* Acoustic Guitar

My voice =)

various other instruments that i don't feel like listing

Other Gear

M-Audio USB Preamp

Behringer Eurorack UB502 mixer

Marshall MXL V57M Studio Condenser (my ocr mixes to date were made on a mike from a dat tape recorder :lol:)

Some random pair or Sony headphones

Various audio cables

i think that's it...

Am I the only one using Emagic Logic Pro ? o_O
Actually, no. analoq uses Logic, since before it was bought by Apple and then renamed into "Logic Pro".

i got on Logic with v4 gold.. good times. i've used Tracktion for last year or so.. Logic 5 was starting to show it's age.

but now that i have a (decent) Mac i may reacquaint myself with Logic when i have more money.

in the meantime, GarageBand does 90% of what i want and that remaining 10% will force me to try new things. whee.

cheers.

I use:

Software:

Cakewalk Sonar 4 Producer Edition (Soon to be 5)

Reason 2.5

Hardware:

Digitech RP200

Eurorack UB1202

Shure SM57

Shure SM58

Shure SM94

Behringer Composer Pro

Aphex 204 Aural Exciter

2 Behringer Truth B2031A's

Monster Cables

Instruments

Casio CTK-650 Keyboard (Which doubles as my MIDI controller.. yes, laugh at my misfortune :P)

Customized Ibanez Jay Turser Strat-style 6-string

Squier Strat (the old cheaply made ones that weigh a ton)

Carlo Robelli Acoustic Guitar

Carlo Robelli Bass Guitar

one regular sized brain

---------

I'm soon getting some new sample libraries, which would be my first in that area, but I don't have or use them yet so I didn't include them above. But they are:

Quantum Leap Brass

Ultimate Strings

Ultimate Piano

ProSamples Ethnic Adventures

ProSampes Rare Ethnic

I'm not even going to bother to list my hardware specs. In a word: SH[censord roflcopters]

Software:

System: Gentoo Linux 2006.1 ~x86, Linux Kernel 2.6.16, beyond-dev-sources patchset, Alsa Drivers 1.0.11

lmms-1.4

rosegarden doesn't work for some reason, will fix later

kmid? haven't bothered with it yet

that's about it. And I don't really do anything great with it, just screwing around. But I'm anticipating my new box which could take a couple of months to build. I'm putting the newest creative sound cards and nvida SLI graphics cards I can get in it, along with at least 1G ram and at least a moderately good processor.

Also, remember: don't complain because there's always someone with worse hardware and crappier software than you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wish I could get access to the Logic and ProTools at my school. But it's in a weird audio class, and what makes it weird is that it's not in the official timetable :o

Anyways, I use

Athlon XP 2400 computer

512 mb ram (need to upgrade first)

Technics RP-DJ700 headphones

FL Studio 4 (Yes, FOUR)

Ableton Live 4

A bunch of VSTi stuff to go with it

I used to own a Korg Electribe EM-1

I was shopping around yesterday for another x-stand (to put the JX8P on - or more correctly, for Smoke who borrowed my E-mu controller) when I saw something. I've been looking for quite a while for a good solution for this: I've got a microphone, but no preamps (except those in my mixing desk). I want to use it for a vocoder. Ideally, I need something with a mic input and 2 outputs. All mic preamps have a single output.

Solution?

This:

behringerxenyx1002fx350fffef17.jpg

It's at least as compact as a regular preamp, it's got effects, it's got phantom power, and when I'm not using it for vocoding duties I can hook up my Juno and JX :).

Also, not really the best thread for a question like that.

Err, question? I just described what lead me to this because it'll become something I'm going to use ;). I rarely (have to) ask questions :).

Sorry, I read the post as asking whether using a mixer was a good way to get the mic into your PC as opposed to getting a preamp. My bad, as the kids say.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'll let you know if it's any good when I get it. Should be arriving sometime this week.

Holyshitomg it's good. I just recorded a light, fingerpicked arrangement while construction guys were drilling holes in my walls, and the recording still came out rich and pristine, and with zero background noise.

I think it's a safe bet that it will be replacing my Yamaha as the acoustic I'll be using in all my mixes.