OCR01465 - Sonic & Knuckles "Lover Reef"

djpretzel

Shonen, Pixietricks... I will find you both and give you hugs... this song gives warm fuzzies, despite its cold exterior.

I hum this damned thing in my sleep among other places, and everyone in my class who isn't already in the know about OC keep asking me what song I'm humming... of course, I keep 'em guessing! MWAHAH

I can't get over how the lot of you did such a wonderful job with this song... Zircon, Pixie, Shonen, D-lux, and Taucer, I salute you all, and command that you work together again in the future at some point.

Oh, and Pixie, can I get your number ^.^;;

And yes, I know I stand no chance... its the humor that makes me do it.

Why am I getting a 404 when I try to download this?

From all three mirrors?

Oh well, at least I've got the instrumental version.

...no, that's not helping. I NEED THE VOCAL VERSION! *sobs*

I hope the links get fixed, unless this song was a victim of the lockdown process. Then I'll need a link to the OC ReMoved archives I've been hearing about (I'm getting this song no matter what). I just hope this is all worth it (considering the only vocal song I actually like isn't even on OCR: Ailsean's version of "Time in a Bottle").

Why am I getting a 404 when I try to download this?

From all three mirrors?

Oh well, at least I've got the instrumental version.

...no, that's not helping. I NEED THE VOCAL VERSION! *sobs*

I hope the links get fixed, unless this song was a victim of the lockdown process. Then I'll need a link to the OC ReMoved archives I've been hearing about (I'm getting this song no matter what). I just hope this is all worth it (considering the only vocal song I actually like isn't even on OCR: Ailsean's version of "Time in a Bottle").

This should work.

Or this.

.... or this.

In essence, just replace the '%26amp%3B' with an '&' in the download links manually. EDIT: Blast. Beaten to the punch.

Anyway, review. I'm a fan of the vocal mixes, and this one is no exception. I love how there's different vocalists, and how the vocal styles are varied, but not too much. Good blend, good balance.

At first, I CRINGED with this remix. It was beautiful...until the duet part. My thought was: "MY GOD, Pixie, your voice doesn't go well with his AT ALL!" But that was because I was expecting something flowy and perfectly matching and all that jazz right off the bat.

After I listened to it a few times, I began to see where they started to harmonize and things began to make sense. I also began to feel the ENORMOUS amount of emotion that just POURS from this mix. Techincally, all of these different styles NEVER work together, but somehow this mix MAKES it work and does so beautifully.

Now that I've read through all of these pages, I now see just exactly why this mix works. This was a remix that was done in companionship and fellowship of fellow remixers and game lovers. Compared to the usual work of these individuals, this piece was put together REALLY QUICKLY. Of course, there's going to be some minor flaws here and there! I'm very sure that if they had spent months making this "JUST SO", no one would have any beef with this mix at all.

But that's not the case, it wasn't about getting it JUST SO, it was about capturing the moment and emotion that sparked the idea for this creation. Which, I believe they did wonderfully. Now when I listen to this piece, I can see a rather rocky relationship beginning to work again.

Imagery and emotion is where this piece wins at.

Kudos, guys. You need to do anything remix together sometime! *thumps up*

Hilarious anecdote:

One of our regular VGDJ listeners, Shivy, was apparently parked at a roadside stop listening to ocremixes in his car when a trucker leaned out the window of his truck and remarked, "Hey! Isn't that Lover Reef?" No joke.

That IS hillarious! XD

B3h0ld the p0w3r of OCRemix!

Two things of note: First, the link to download this is broken, there's HTML code for an ampersand in place of an actual ampersand. The file is where you'd think it is, but the link isn't quite right.

Second, in the past six weeks, this has been my most-requested song from a variety of different listeners.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahaha, oh goodness, I am so thoroughly amused by the clusterfack of comments over the last sixteen pages. That such a talented and endearing show of musical comradery could bring out the best and worst of pretty much every major mixer/reviewer on the site is just too much. For what it's worth, I think the song is fantastic, makes great use of the source material and the people involved in its production, and provides a terrific kareoke track for my dorm hall. Props to everyone who could turn a single night's chemistry into an everlasting tribute to the power of both music and friendship.

Oh, and cheese. :D

Hilarious anecdote:

One of our regular VGDJ listeners, Shivy, was apparently parked at a roadside stop listening to ocremixes in his car when a trucker leaned out the window of his truck and remarked, "Hey! Isn't that Lover Reef?" No joke.

That is, in all honesty, the funniest thing I've ever read on the internet. No seriously.

• 1 month later...

I love this track. It reminds me of "Save Tonight." There need to be more lyrical Sonic tracks. I know IceCap has been done a million times, but someone needs to make it into a lyrical love song. That's the only one that would be better than Lava Reef, which is my favorite Sonic track ever.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Regarding the writeup--- Wholesome, yes. Family friendly, yes. But have you looked at the unmoderated forum latley? The stuff in there is most certainly not wholesome! Any way, this is great! Happy music makes the soul rejoice! The lyrics are great, the vocals are great, the pads, guitar, everything! And Pixietricks, you're a good singer! Not many girls nowadays can actually sing. This is totally solid.

^_^

Evilride

• 3 weeks later...

This song is smooth - hits me just right at about 3:30 AM. It's got a great flow to it - from pixietricks to shonensamurai to D-Lux and then with Taucer's guitar solo...and then the groove in the background which most likely came from zircon...it is smooth. It mellows you out, and makes you think there might be something good left in the world...

Maybe I'm just crazy. But I am a big fan of this. I've listened to it several times, trying to find some reason not to like it, and I'm drawing a blank. It's a pleasant disappointment.

You know, I know what you're saying. I really feel like I should dislike this song. As I rule I hate the lyrical remixes, and as people have said at first listen their voices don't gel.

Alas, I don't know what it is, but I like it. Perhaps because I have no choice but to adamantly respect the musicianship that went into this.

Hilarious anecdote:

And that is incredible!

• 3 weeks later...

"Write your own musical platform"? What does that even mean? I suppose we should get rid of all mixes that use guitars, right? They're not "writing their own musical platform". After all how many songs are there that use guitars. And don't even get me started on orchestral remixes! That "platform" has been around for hundreds of years and people are so uncreative that they're still using it.

Man, shut the hell up. There are lots of legitimate reasons for not liking a remix, but somehow implying that we're uncreative or unoriginal is moronic and insulting. Grow up.

I just rediscovered this after burning myself out listening to it at least 1000 times back when it came out last year. It's too catchy not to love.

What are the chances that someone can post the tab for the super shreddin'-ass solo so I can play it for funsies? TIA & <3 this track.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01465 - Sonic & Knuckles "Lover Reef"