OCR01465 - Sonic & Knuckles "Lover Reef"

djpretzel

I honestly didn't like the singing. :( I don't know what to say about the singing beyond that, I just didn't like it at all. Obviously there are plenty who do so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm glad the one who posted this mix though, in the WIP forum, provided a version without the vocals. That one I am currently listening to. The guitar part kicks ass.

Yeah. It was really a blast doing this.

To be fair we didn't quite *finish* it in one night.. once we all went back to our respective locations, over the next week, we put together the final version and made sure everything was in place before getting it ready to go. We would have liked to do it all right there on the spot, but at 4-5AM or so pixie wasn't quite ready to sing and my mic is really NOT good at all (D-Lux's part was recorded using it and I did my best to make it sound good, but it was very noisy by default).

Anyway if for whatever reason you didn't like the awesome vocals I do have an instrumental version. I don't know why you'd want it, but;

http://www.zirconstudios.com/Lover%20Reef%20(Instrumental).mp3

I'm totally amazed at how well this turned out. At first I was like, "A vocal mix of Lava Reef? Too weird." As it turns out though, the main melody of the song makes for a beautiful lyrical flow. This is one of the better vocal mixes I've ever heard. Sweet ass job!

Also: more mega-collabs!

EDIT: Instrumental version ain't half bad either. There's still enough focus on the rest of the music that it doesn't sound empty without the vocals.

I just wanted to log in to say how very impressed I am with this mix; in particular the singing by shonensamurai and the guitar work! Actually, everyone did some :nicework:!

I would've loved for it to be a bit longer though, and maybe the lyrics didn't overly lend themselves too well to the melody, but it's fantastic nonetheless.

More shonensamurai and more mega-collabs!

Anyway if for whatever reason you didn't like the awesome vocals I do have an instrumental version. I don't know why you'd want it, but;

http://www.zirconstudios.com/Lover%20Reef%20(Instrumental).mp3

Much <3 for you. Most instrumentals people make on OC are great. But the vocal ones, they have to be perfect or else it ruins it. :?

I think he's saying y'all crapped up an otherwise good instrumental. :lol:

WOW!

First of all, I'm exremely impressed that you all wrote and recorded this in one night. I wouldn't expect more than a joke tune in that amount of time. Excellent. I was also very excited to see several of the names of the contributors. You guys are some of my favorite remixers.

Secondly, it's a DUET. It's a freaking DUET. Rawk on!

a) Shonensamurai, while you have a more pop-ish sounding voice that obviously isn't as polished and well trained as pixie's "voice student" voice, it has a very pleasant sound to it. While there are some major flaws in your vocal techique, I can safely say that you certainly have a fantastic gift that I would like to hear more more of on this site in the future. Maybe even more with pixietricks. Surpisingly, I think both of your voices blend together very well, dispite how different they are.

B) Pixietricks... there's really not a whole lot I can say. I'm a sucker for chick vocals, and your voice is absolutely gorgeous. If I had to spend the rest of my life on a deserted island with only a CD player and a mix CD, you would have at least a few of the songs on there. It's always good to hear another remix from you.

c) Everyone else... Despite being a group with such a diverse set of styles, you meshed well. I can easy identify each of your musical "personalities" in this mix, and it is very interesting to see how they combine together to make the final project. Nice work isn't enough. Excellent work. :D

I must admit, I was really impressed after listening to this song. I was a little skeptical a duet could be pulled off on the Lava Reef Zone theme, but you guys proved me wrong. This was creative, well delivered, and all around impressive, with only small issues that have already been addressed by the previous reviewers.

This one? Earned a permanent spot on my OCR playlist. In short, great work. The five of you should pull together more often, I think. :)

Awesome mix...!!!

Kick-ass job guys and gal :P

I'd also like to commend GT for his nice guitar work! 8)

... *waits for instrumental version to finish downloading*

I'm a sucker for instrumentals :oops:

I demand an ICECAP Remix :twisted:

This is amazing. It's very rare that I hear a remix with vocals, and *like* it. Even rarer that I'm moved enough to bother commenting on the forums, unskilled music aficionado that I am.

I like the mix of the two vocalists, both are very skilled and sound nice, and the lyrics somehow manage to mix in a love song *and* the feeling of Lava Reef Zone; that is the mentions of fire and ice reflect both lovers emotions, and the zones progression from fire to ice.

Really nice.

As for the song itself; it's very high quality. It seriously sounds like alot more than a remix; like something you'd find on a professional CD or something.

The lyrics are pure cheese, yet somehow they work....

Haha. Yeah. I love how they're direct references to the levels, though.

Sandopolis, Lava Reef, hidden palace, Ice cap(!!)

It's great.

I could only catch the rather obvious Lava Reef references...What are the other zone references?

When I first heard the opening portion of the music, I felt absolutely ecstatic. Hearing the wordless female humming hinted that this would be a quality mix, until I noticed the presence of the one dreaded thing that sent me screaming, bashing my head into my keyboard, and running around in circles wailing until I crashed into a wall... LYRICS!!! VOCALS!!! AH! 8O (Not to say that they were bad...)

Then I heard the instrumental version, and angels voices came down from the heavens as I found myself draped a column of light.

I've heard this back when it was posted at the WIP forums, and it sure has its place on my "Golden List". Very cool, well done, marvelous singing and lyrics, just awesome!

I could only catch the rather obvious Lava Reef references...What are the other zone references?

Sandopolis: "This sea of sand"

Ice Cap: "Bed of snow"

Hidden Palace: "In our hideaway" (I guess...)

It's great.

Well, those four zones were referenced it seems, though I think Angel Island and Carnival Night were referenced very vaguely in the lyrics. It's probably just word choice and not actual references for these two, but those were the other ones I could figure. *Shrugs*

Again, I still love this remix; good cheese and all. :)

It's great.

Here are the references I could make out

There's a cold wind through/This sea of sand/And the sun's gone down/On our parting hands

(Sandopolis Act 2. Dark, cold colors, inside the pyramid)

So darling please/Don't let me go/Tread lightly on this/Bed of snow.

(Ice Cap?! Why is there a reference to Ice Cap? Was the rhyme built around "don't let me go" or "this bed of snow"?)

There's a fire lit/So let's unthaw now

(Lava Reef)

Too cold and too far/We'll make it out somehow/We've turned to ice/And it's not our way to be

(Act 2)

So let the earth quake/And melt with me.

(Boss)

Through the coldest nights/And dawning day/I will wait for you/In our hideaway

(Hidden Palace is in frozen lava reef. Dawning day could be a reference to beating Carnival Night, though)

And our lips will meet/In the frozen air/When the shadows fall/I'll still be there.

(If you think of this as a reference, the only possibility is that it's the boss fight vs Knuckles. Hillariously, it works rather well this way)

When our emotions first ignited/It's like our hearts were never tired/My desires were set free/Was like a raging wildfire.

(Angel Island? Or Lava Reef act 1?)

But now that spark has grown dark/We're now just dying embers/Afraid I'll end up all alone/Within these cold Decembers.

(Lava Reef act 2)

Yes! Glad to see this mega-collab finally released! :D

The drums are a little awkward, but I love hearing all the vocal and instrument parts come together into one whole. Not the most polished work on OCR, but amazing for largely 1 night's work!!

You guys should come up with a super-group name for yourself. Maybe... um, the Meeters, GeoffreyTaucer & the Slime Blanket...

PenisX4+Gina... ooooor sommmmethiiiiinggggg....

Yes! Glad to see this mega-collab finally released! :D

The drums are a little awkward, but I love hearing all the vocal and instrument parts come together into one whole. Not the most polished work on OCR, but amazing for largely 1 night's work!!

You guys should come up with a super-group name for yourself. Maybe... PenisX4+Gina...

win

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01465 - Sonic & Knuckles "Lover Reef"