Where are all the Fighting game fans?

StarDragonJP

Outside of Street Fighter there are practically no fighting game mixes on this site. The other fighting games that do have mixes only have 1 or 2. These are some fighting games/series that have good music:

Tekken Series

Darkstalker/Vampire Savior Series

King of Fighter Series

Capcom Vs Series

Soul Series

Killer Instinct

Power Stone

Guilty Gear Series

There are some anime based fighting games that have good music too.

DragonBall Z Budokai Series

I think Gundam Battle Assault (Its been a while since I've played it)

Edited by StarDragonJP

There a lot of remixes for those games out there in the wild. Just not a lot here.

Guilty Gear's soundtrack for example pretty much sounds perfect the way it is (at least IMO) and so that may deter some people from arranging it.

Same with stuff like Soul Calibur/Blade, that stuff is primarily pretty much Orchestral heavy that makes it harder to arrange without it being overly conservative (Plus again personally, it's one of those soundtracks that just sounds so perfect the way it is that I don't feel inclined to try my hand at ruining the music by remixing it other than to just make a 1:1 better sounding version. Which would be preferrably live, but unlikely to happen and something that wouldn't pass at OCR if it was too 1:1)

With Killer Instinct, i've seen a lot of remixes of music from this game over the years, I wouldn't really consider remixing because I was never really too fond of the game. (Plus it's being done for the new KI game. And well it's pretty hard to top that ha

)

Tekken - The older games (Pre-3) are certainly arrangement worthy. I haven't played them since the 90's so personally at least i've never really thought much about remixing them. Though it is something I will consider in the future

King of Fighters, i've heard a lot of remixes of music from this series too over the years. I never really had much time to play a lot of this series, and i've never really been exposed to a ton of the music but after listening to a lot of it at a glance again. Pretty much everything Pre- KOF XI is very arrangable/remixable (I even just basically told a friend of mine to Remix a specific song from one of these and sub it here)

Capcom vs.. - A lot of the earlier Cvs games simply had tunes from Capcom character's previous games. I never had the opportunity to ever really play any of the Capcom Vs SNK games back in the day except for SNK vs Capcom Chaos and only briefly. Listening to them now, they are certainly very remixable though SvC2 is borderline in that regard because it's already so good/complex sounding to begin with.

Gundam Battle Assault, I loved this game back in the day. I haven't heard the soundtrack in nearly 10 years though. Listening to it now it's very great (Just as good if not better than Gundam Wing Endless Duel). But the quality is already very good to begin with. So that makes arranging it a lot more difficult based on what one would want to do with the tunes. Personally, I like to keep the original feeling as much as possible. But I mean, I could for example probably make a laid back jazz'y remix of this

tune. But I feel that may be pushing it too far into overly liberal territory. Which is a difficult line to walk for someone like me at least. Some tunes though are very remixable due to the somewhat lower quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4A1zjKRMh8

Dragon Ball Z budokai's sound quality and arrangement quality IMO are already perfect and there's not much will to arrange any of the tunes beyond a cover for me personally. Plus there's the whole Kenji Yamamoto Plagarism Controversy, don't know how that would or if it could affect the ability to remix his music. Because he did the majority of Dragon Ball Game music from the early 90's until the late 2000's.

Cheers, my 2-cents that probably mean nothing. Hopefully if anything it will cause some to say "that's not unremixable to me!" and then do it or chime in with their own two cents.

And to add irony, I did a Street Fighter Alpha remix last year that is still waiting to be posted hah....

Huge fighting game fan here. 8)

Back before I started posting on the forums I had a few crap Darkstalkers remixes, 4 or 5 from Virtua Fighter and one or two Soul Calibur ones. Also one from Dead Or Alive 2 now that I remember it.

My problem is most tracks from recent fighting games have been less than memorable. Tekken in particular has Moonlit Wilderness (T5's version) and a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember. Thankfully TTT2 allowed us to replace the background music. I think I got rid of at least half the tracks.

I'd much rather write originals for fighting games than remix most of the ones that are out now. Even Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown's ost was a disappointment. ...and i love my VF!!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been wanting to do a Tekken themed remix tournament for a while now, but a lot of people are getting unfortunately burnt out on compos it seems like. I also want to do some Shaq-Fu remixes... maybe I'll just make a personal album out of that one, since it was one of my earliest games. Both were, actually, and T2 is STILL a favorite, but that one's too close to me to tackle the whole thing by myself for fear of fucking it up :P

Edited by Phonetic Hero

I've been wanting to do a Tekken themed remix tournament for a while now, but a lot of people are getting unfortunately burnt out on compos it seems like. :P

Do you think giving them more time for each round would help? It seems like all of the tournaments have songs that are incomplete or the remixer doesn't turn in anything at all because for one reason or another thy didn't have the time. That's probably frustrating not only to the remixer who's doingit but there opponent as well.

Do you think giving them more time for each round would help? It seems like all of the tournaments have songs that are incomplete or the remixer doesn't turn in anything at all because for one reason or another thy didn't have the time. That's probably frustrating not only to the remixer who's doingit but there opponent as well.

I don't think that'd help, honestly. If someone's going to do the track, they're going to do the track. People who are busy will find ways to be busy the next week too :P I think it's a good self-teaching experience to have to put together a track in a short amount of time anyway. It's just the whole competition dynamic that people are getting burnt out on I think... but I'll look into it at some point, if there's ever a time when interest starts to wax again rather than wane

Not really a huge fan of 90%+- of Tekken's music

im all for a tekken remixing tournament. but like i said earlier, it would still be tough because of the lack of tekken midis. i know not everyone uses them, but many of us newbies still need that crutch.

that said, i think the newer tekkens dont have as nice of music, and by newer, i just mean tekken 6 and tt2. Im more amused than annoyed by snoop dogg having a stage. just goes to show that nothin is sacred to the dogg. that man probably has more money than bill gates by now with all the shameless snoop advertisement he does. if only he was a playable character whose sole move was "smoke blast" which makes the opponenet so high that they automagically lose.

older tekken games? totally awesome music. I love yoshimitsu's theme from 3.

I actually like most of Tekken's music from 5 onwards, but I like psytrance music so...That Snoop Dogg track is fucking terrible though.

Thank the big man that they allowed us to switch the tracks out for any stage we wanted to in TTT2. That was the first one to go. I have nothing against hip hop but so far there are no good hip hop songs in any fighting games. That are any fun to play. Obviously Shaq-Fu isn't. :)

DOA5's in particular drives me nuts when playing online and waiting for a match.

yea well...

and

Edited by Garpocalypse

Thank the big man that they allowed us to switch the tracks out for any stage we wanted to in TTT2. That was the first one to go. I have nothing against hip hop but so far there are no good hip hop songs in any fighting games. That are any fun to play. Obviously Shaq-Fu isn't. :)

DOA5's in particular drives me nuts when playing online and waiting for a match.

yea well...

and

Speaking of DOA5,

• 2 weeks later...

Any other fighting games that you think need mixes?

Besides the ones you and the others suggested (like Killer Instinct and Virtua Fighter, I so second these ones), I'd like to see some more Street Fighter Alpha 3 ReMixes. Sure, it's still SF, but Alpha/Alpha 2 and SF2 seem to get 90-95% of the Street Fighter ReMixes, and Alpha 3 does have some good tunes.

Hell, if anyone can manage a ReMix for any of the sources from the original Street Fighter, I'd be impressed.

Edited by Crulex