OCR00395 - Blazing Lazers "Industrial Bubbles"

Saunders

Blazing Lazers 'Industrial Bubbles'

This starts out sounding like something from the Demon’s Crest soundtrack. Didn't care for the samples that start at 0:18, they remind me of breaking glass or something. The percussion is okay, and the main “bow” sound is annoying, but the background choir sample is nice. The sample that sounds like a turntable is annoying also, but the pinging sound that starts at ~1:10 is as good as the choir sample was. Otherwise the mix just sounds like noise to me. The beat/bass only area at ~1:40 is okay, but soon after it starts that “breaking glass” sample is playing again, and I just find that annoying. Overall, I can’t say I liked listening to this mix. 1/5

• 2 months later...

cool, it's amazing how a game like B.Lazers got a remix, yet T16's flagship guy Bonk's DOESN'T have a mix. but i ain't complaining, Lazers had a very strong soundtrack. I DO remember this level too, especially that guy in the background going: oow, oow, oww... This remix, captures the essence of the cold deadness of space, and also like it's name implies, there's this constant mechanical assembly-line feel to it. Very cool, i like the echoy chimes ringing too! great job.

• 5 months later...

It may sound like "noise" but the samples are very nice with a very cool beat line and everything that is constantly changing. I don't think the "bow" sound is annoying at all. Of course now that I say that and listen to it again I notice it does have that "bow" voice/sound a lot and would get annoying if you didn't like it, but I do like it. Never played the game but I don't really want to slap myself silly and get a rom, I wanna keep the essence of the mix as a "song" itself.

Any fan of industrial probably already has this mix.

• 2 years later...

The first 8 seconds are insanely good and sorta dark, from :09 to :17 it's okay, that noise that starts at :18 I do not like. From :45 to :53 it's good, but I don't like that noise that starts at :54. From 1:29 to 1:37 it's good, and I don't like the rest of the track.

So basically make an entire song consisting of loops of the first 8 seconds on this track, and you got a nice wicked song.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I've always appreciated how someone can make an industrial track. I think this track is pretty cool, and I don't really see why the other reviewers have as much of a problem with it.

That being said, it's not my favorite mix, and I agree that from about 2:00 on it turns into a bit too much of a mess, but I think the track's alright.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Well, this is one strange mix for me; I appreciate the nature of industrial arrangements every now and again, but to see it taken into this kind of minimalist structure without much of a melodic structure does kind of feel slighhtly awkward even when measured up to other mixes for its time.

However, credit where credit is due for the neat percussion work; between the reverse-loop sample work being placed in past 0:30 and some strong interesting subtleties going on as the mix continues, it helps to offer a broader expansion towards the track. And similarly in comparison to other mixes of 2001 it had shown some good equalisation especially with lower and mid frequencies; so in terms of production it managed to stand up firmly.

But good (for 2001) production coupled with a rough and distuned arrangement does make this a struggle to appreciate in the long run, so I can't really see it doing it for me. Albeit, there's some good ideas in there (surprising for a one-hit wonder I admit), and it's a shame you couldn't really follow up on it :(

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00395 - Blazing Lazers "Industrial Bubbles"