New ReMix Stems

HI!

I made a new remix a few days ago, and here are the stems for all the instruments!

I'm releasing these stems so people can hear what a completely unmixed song sounds like, compare that to the final version I have, and also practice your own mixing and mastering by working with these stems. Maybe produce your own mix of the song, even.

Download the stems for 'My Choice'

This is ONE WAY I can think of to try to help the community and give back in some way, albeit small but hopefully it helps someone out there, or at least is interesting!

RAR Size: 170MB

Unrar size: 943MB

I made it a rar because the zip was 270mb.

Pretty cool brandon! I'd take you up on this but I already have plenty of my own absolute garbage that I need to learn how to mix...

Well it couldn't hurt! You may have made a song with these elements though, so it might not be so important for you... also i'll be checking out the stems to sent me asap :cry: sorry for wait

Couple more of these please. :)

I would love some images of how you processed the flute.

Sure! It's a Chamberlin Flute part of the

samples

stGzDux.png

I feel like I'm giving too much away, I want to hear some of your experimentation, good sir Gar! I can explain anything here that you need me to, though. The EQ is that way to cut down on areas that seemed piercing, (and the low end which flutes shouldn't necessarily have) while adding some high end back to make it easier to hear. There's not really any "breath" to the sample, since it's a very old mellotron type sample, so boosting the highs like that is possible without editing out breathing. :-P

The sends show the compression, pre-delay, and room reverb. These are set up as sends, so I can directly control how strong each effect is based on how strong I put the send. This rather than putting those effects in the regular chain... speaking of....

There's a mono-delay on the chain! I bet you can't even notice it in the song. It adds a nice little dynamic to the flute.

The panning is extreme, but works, and the volume is very low as well but with these mellotron samples, you have to do that. They're extremely loud.

Edited by Brandon Strader

There's a mono-delay on the chain! I bet you can't even notice it in the song. It adds a nice little dynamic to the flute.

I noticed it and I loved it. Especially how it didn't trample over every other instrument like my delayed flute does. :)

Just seeing these screens is making me realize that there's a bunch of stuff I'm not doing right.

I know how i'm spending my labor day weekend!

...pretty much like every other weekend i've had the last couple of years.

Edited by Garpocalypse

I am going to have sooooooooooooooooo much fun with these. Thanks Brandon. :twisted:

and I've already told you this a bunch, but your non-growling vocals are just perfecto. <3

I like your heavier vocal stuff, too, but I just prefer this more from you because you have a great sounding voice.

Your flatulence is flattering, good sir! Thanks for the flattery! :-D

I threw together a quick mix, bout an hour. That was fun. Thanks Strader.

That's awesome! So what are some of the things you did? I noticed less volume in return for more dynamics, I also noticed less lows in the piano. :-o If you don't mind... could you share some of your methods to making this mix? It might help others :-)

That's awesome! So what are some of the things you did? I noticed less volume in return for more dynamics, I also noticed less lows in the piano. :-o If you don't mind... could you share some of your methods to making this mix? It might help others :-)

I tend to brutally highpass pianos in full mixes. That said, I went back and automated the EQ to ease up during the quieter sections. I like this better. Even so the low end is chopped off the piano, which is nothing but murky haze and doesn't contribute anything meaningful.

Bass was my typical signal chain, compressor, multiband comp, distortion, EQ.

Acoustic guitars sounded good, just some low cuts and light compression.

The lead acoustic guitar instrument had very big transients so I used some peak compression to bring those into line.

Vocals were the one problem. Recording has a midrange sound, kind of unnatural. That means damage control EQ, rather than minimal EQ on a good recording.

Drum kit was processed minimally, bit of low end off the kick and a boost in the mid. Cutting the fundamental of the snare to make it sound lighter. Parallel compression on the whole kit.

The sax sounds nice... is it real? Sounds pretty real to me.

Anyway, if you have more questions I'm happy to answer them.

Yes, the Alto Sax is real. And to be completely honest, I've only ever played it when recording, so I'm still picking up the proper technique for how to mouth the reed. I think I did ok getting a soft tone this time. My other mix with alto sax (Rebirth for FF2 album) has more of a biting tone.

Annndd.... RIGHT... the vocals already have effects on them, Izotope Nectar. It would have taken an immense amount of time to unfreeze all of those tracks, not to mention the specific echo on the "Yeah" vocal track. I don't hear anyone else doing echo like that so I'll keep the how-to on that a secret. :-)

I don't know if fake bass would be an improvement over real bass, the only improvement would really be to buy and record with an acoustic bass. x_x Something to do when the money's there.....

Okay, here's my take on this! =D

https://app.box.com/s/31tq2m0b63e8j4b48wdk

Stuff I did:

• M/S and parallel compression on the drums, plus room reverb to replace the "Room" stem (I assume that's what it was for).
  • Piano's got my own delay algorithm for a more analog-tape-like atmosphere (might be a bit subtle).
  • Flute and Alto Sax got a little treble boost to emphasize the breath transients a bit. Silly me, I gave the Sax reverb fit for a Duduk.
  • Glockenspiel and strings have the typical reverb for each, with delay on the glock.
  • Acoustic Rhythm got the expected near-hard-panning treatment (L/R 90%).
  • The Lead Acoustic Guitar has got my own delay algorithm again plus some ping pong delay for a more delicate atmosphere.
  • The original bass was high passed so I could layer Spectrasonics Trilian's bass sound for the polished low end (plus add two neck slides). The original bass was still pretty awesome tonally, btw; just a bit obscured.
  • All vocals got an auditorium sim reverb.
  • Backing vocals were either panned or widened depending on their role (harmony vs. generic backing). I didn't reference the original remix for the positions.
  • Automated mids scooping where it was needed to bring out the vocals and shifted things further to the front sometimes (like the toms or the acoustic neck slide).
  • Automated volumes up and down as necessary.

Edited by timaeus222

Okay, here's my take on this! =D

https://app.box.com/s/31tq2m0b63e8j4b48wdk

Stuff I did:

[*] M/S and parallel compression on the drums, plus room reverb to replace the "Room" stem (I assume that's what it was for).

The room wav isn't really supposed to be a "room reverb", it's a room mic that does have some of the crashes and stuff in it, so together with the overheads you'd get the full sound of them.

[*] Piano's got my own delay algorithm for a more analog-tape-like atmosphere (might be a bit subtle).

Seems good! :-)

[*] Flute and Alto Sax got a little treble boost to emphasize the breath transients a bit. Silly me, I gave the Sax reverb fit for a Duduk.

Flute seems a bit loud and center, kinda clashes with the vocals at 1:27. It's more of a backing thing than a lead thing, especially at that point.

[*] Glockenspiel and strings have the typical reverb for each, with delay on the glock.

This seems ok :-) The glockenspiel echo is too much I think.

[*] Acoustic Rhythm got the expected near-hard-panning treatment (L/R 90%).

Is that expected? Hardpanning them to 100% is not bad. :-)

I've done 70% before. I like to stick with 100% when they're used this heavily as rhythms. The difference between 90% and 100% is negligible though.

[*] The Lead Acoustic Guitar has got my own delay algorithm again plus some ping pong delay for a more delicate atmosphere.

It's a mandolin! The echo is alright, seems oddly timed.

[*] The original bass was high passed so I could layer Spectrasonics Trilian's bass sound for the polished low end (plus add two neck slides). The original bass was still pretty awesome tonally, btw; just a bit obscured.

The bass is far too strong in this version, and there are a lot of wrong notes at the end at 3:44. This mix kinda makes it seem like the bass guitar is the highlight, it's far too prominent in the mix. The bass slide during the quiet, dramatic part seemed gratuitous ;-)

[*] All vocals got an auditorium sim reverb.

Not bad, nice and subtle.

[*] Backing vocals were either panned or widened depending on their role (harmony vs. generic backing). I didn't reference the original remix for the positions.

Apart from the backing vocals being far too quiet, it seems ok.

[*] Automated mids scooping where it was needed to bring out the vocals and shifted things further to the front sometimes (like the toms or the acoustic neck slide).

[*]Automated volumes up and down as necessary.

Automation takes a lot of time but it's always good to do! Produces better results when the extra time is put in. The vocals didn't seem to fade in at the end, and the extra backing tracks (Remember / Drag Me Down) seem to be going loud throughout the ending and kinda clutters things up a little.

As a whole, pretty good mix! Pretty good volume, you may have lost some of the power of the overheads by silencing that room wav.

The sax is nice, man. Smooth and mellow. I thought it sounded like live playing, samples don't have the convincing note transitions.

Thank you :-D I play a mad Duduk Sax! :tomatoface:

Edited by Brandon Strader

Is that expected? Hardpanning them to 100% is not bad. :-)

I've done 70% before. I like to stick with 100% when they're used this heavily as rhythms. The difference between 90% and 100% is negligible though.

Yeah, I tend to do 100% too, but soundonsound said once that 90% typically sounds negligible on speakers, so I kept that in mind. ;)

It's a mandolin! The echo is alright, seems oddly timed.

Yeah, I was going to ask you about that (since it was called a "Manny"), but eh, I forgot. :P

Yeah, I was going to ask you about that (since it was called a "Manny"), but eh, I forgot. :P

Weirdly enough, I think I gave the mandolin a different name but I forgot what it was, so I sorta just settled on Manny. Everyone names their instruments don't they? I know I named the sax something else but now I'm thinking Jasmine.

I ended up sucking all of the energy out of this thing.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/7pkm28u2n174d7k/My_Choice_Ver1-Master.mp3

Sorry Brandon!

I'm going to need a do over and pay better attention to how the drums were processed. This was my first time mixing a mic'ed kit instead of VST drums. Also first time mixing with vocals. :) I feel like i might have lost some(most) of their intelligibility especially towards the end so i'd appreciate any crits.

I didn't do anything too creative with the stems. Saturated a few things, compressed some others, delayed and reverbed the rest. The stems were so well crafted that it was actually a pleasure to work with them.

I ended up sucking all of the energy out of this thing.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/7pkm28u2n174d7k/My_Choice_Ver1-Master.mp3

Sorry Brandon!

HAR!! No apologies necessary.

I'm going to need a do over and pay better attention to how the drums were processed. This was my first time mixing a mic'ed kit instead of VST drums. Also first time mixing with vocals. :) I feel like i might have lost some(most) of their intelligibility especially towards the end so i'd appreciate any crits.

I didn't do anything too creative with the stems. Saturated a few things, compressed some others, delayed and reverbed the rest. The stems were so well crafted that it was actually a pleasure to work with them.

You've got the flute pretty good, the backing vocals are good -- acoustic guitar panning is good. The mellotron strings might be a bit dry and upfront, mainly dry being the issue. I used predelay and reverb to send mine back a little space-wise.

I love how the cowbell cuts through in this haha!! Very upfront. This is the first mix of the song I've heard where the cowbell is really easy to hear, including my own which obscures it. :-P

The backing vocals seem to be at a good level but the main vocal line by comparison is a bit soft volume-wise. How did you compress the bass? Needs to be compressed really hard to get a solid sound for it, so it seems a bit too dynamic but at least it's not overpowering the song, right? :-D

How hard did you compress the piano? During the intro it's really easy to tell that it is squeezed tight. Some of that saturation you put on causes the occasional "watery" sound, I think. I noticed it especially in the cymbals. Could be any combination of the saturation / compression -- by the way, how did you compress the master? There's a weird sound around 3:38 where it goes silent briefly before the ending, almost sounds like stuff is being pushed there. Almost like you have a gate on it or something.

I set up compression / pre-delay / room reverb sends before starting anything in a session. That makes it really easy to apply these same effects as sends on all of the tracks. Is this something you do, or need some clarification on how to do it? And parallel compressing the drums to get that extra little bit of snap out of them. The samples as they are sound kind of dull, so there is some dolling them up involved to make them pop.

And indeed, it's NOT live drums! I think it's Studio Drummer for this one, I'd have to double check sometime to make sure but it's either that or Abbey Road Modern Drummer, they're both pretty much the same. The samples try to function like a real drum setup, that's why it has the room mics and all that kind of stuff.

It's been a long day, let me know if anything I said is coherent or if you need clarification on anything. :-)