What Track Embodies Your Style?

A lot of my original compositions lately have been trying to emulate the style of other musicians, so I've been wondering: what track of yours do you think best embodies your musical "style?" It can be a certain effect or sound you use, a composition quirk, or even how it's changed over time. It'll be interesting to see if other people agree with you or not!

EDIT:

Derp, I guess I should probably answer my own question. I think my ChipWin track really nails my style: chip aesthetic with a big focus on a (hopefully) catchy melody. Also I think about every single track I've done follows the structure of Energetic 1st section followed by relaxed B section.

Edited by Ethan Rex

That's actually a pretty good question. I don't think I have a style, and I don't mean that in a pretentious "well I don't really think about genre, I do it all" way, I mean I often struggle so much just to get my tracks to work that I've never actually found a groove with how I do things, instead resorting to hillbillying elements together to call it a song.

I wouldn't say that I have just one definitive style, really, but I guess in recent years there are a lot of similarities in my tracks in terms of instruments.

I like a lot of music that uses synths along with more traditional instruments like guitars, orchestras, pianos and ethnic instruments. I also like forms of electronic music that emphasize melody instead of the usual rhythms. Not saying I don't love me some dance music; I certainly do.

Composition and arrangement wise, I'd say this remix I did with Timaeus is probably my favorite track I've worked on in a long time. It has all the elements I was talking about.

I also do like blending heavier kinds of music with more "pop" sounding styles.

That's actually a pretty good question. I don't think I have a style, and I don't mean that in a pretentious "well I don't really think about genre, I do it all" way, I mean I often struggle so much just to get my tracks to work that I've never actually found a groove with how I do things, instead resorting to hillbillying elements together to call it a song.

Well it's basically like this for me as well. The only common things are, lots of similar sounding synths

I'm not sure I can really pick one being that my style is not to have a style. I think I tend to have more of a common substance than a common style. I suppose Snow Storm from 9-Bit Blizzard is as close as anything to defining that substance. I tend to blend chiptune elements with an overall modern soundscape, and that's really the only common theme among my tunes, and even then, it's not always my approach.

Recently, I've been moving closer to chiptune-free tracks, like this latin jazz funk big band remix thing, but my roots are in chiptunes, so I'll still be working with them from time to time.

Edited by ectogemia

I... am not sure. I guess "Rawk-It Night" would best reflect my remixing style, which is often more conservative than much of the stuff you'd see on OCR, and extremely influenced by melodic metalcore.

Really, for most of my stuff, metalcore's kind of a central theme. Sometimes standalone, sometimes fused with other elements (very much the case in all of my tracks for Be Aggressive!), but always heavy.

Unless it's punk, or acoustic, or... whatever "Stars on Ice" is.

Most people like to base their sound off of new cool sounds created by musicians on tracks that become hits.

For me, though, "Scream" by Michael Jackson still to this day is the most influential and inspirational track to me. In fact, that song is one of my favorite songs, and I feel like it's one of those songs that just reminds me that music is awesome. :-P

This is a tricky question! Especially when considering my remixes, since I try to experiment in the source's style instead of forcing my own style when I remix. Despite that, I feel this remix represents my style fairly well.

My songs are mostly rock/metal-ish with a lot of piano and some progressive elements. Kind of like Marillion but heavier (and not as good!) :-P

I actually write in loads of styles, but I could narrow my style down to glitching and complexity elements (usually is dubsteppish).

Yeah, I know, pretty descriptive, right? You know what, I'll just list a bunch of the styles I've tried before, just to give you guys a perspective of how hard it was to actually narrow this down:

• Metal (Gunstar Heroes, Plants Vs. Zombies DnB, Shadow the Hedgehog, Final Fantasy 6, Mega Man 9, Metroid Prime)
  • Drum & Bass (Mega Man 9, Plants Vs. Zombies "medley", Mega Man 7 + Mega Man V (GB), MegaMan StarForce)
  • Dubsteppish (Plants Vs. Zombies, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Gunstar Heroes, Mega Man 7 + Darkwing Duck, Metroid Prime)
  • Orchestral/Cinematic (Donkey Kong 64, Flashback, Shadow the Hedgehog, Plants Vs. Zombies DnB)
  • Dance (Yoshi Touch 'n Go, Mega Man 7 + Darkwing Duck, MegaMan Battle Network 1-6 [but not 3])
  • Atmospheric (Yoshi Touch 'n Go, currently-unreleased stuff)
  • ...etc.

But if you look at all of the ones I listed, it seems like 9 of them have glitching, loads of layers, and over-the-top automations, so... yeah. I'll pick... ... ... the currently-unreleased Gunstar Heroes ReMix (you'll see on September 9th!). I would have said the Darkwing Duck one, but funk isn't my thing; I just did that because I wanted to have some fun.

I can say for sure that I do have a distinctive collection of sounds that sets me apart, though. Slowly but surely, I'm creating a very unique sound palette. I don't actually want to settle into any particular style though. Because that would be boring, right? Dynamic styles are where it's at. ;)

Edited by timaeus222

What Meteo Xavier said, but and old working collegue of mine, of the few people I gave a listen to my music in person, said that there was the distinctive touch of melancholy in pretty much all the music I made. I've started work on a project recently and I'm pretty sure it's melancholy material, I suppose that's my style for now...