Nintendo 2DS

The Derrit

Supposedly it was created with 'children under age 6 who shouldn't view 3D imagery' in mind, and benefits ($40 cheaper price & lower producion cost) from the removal of the 3D screen tech of the 3DS. I can see this drawing in the weird "I don't want a 3DS because 3D is a gimmick." folks (even though 2D gameplay was as simple as using a 3D slider/switch on 3DS & XL).

Also It comes out the day as some little "Pokemon XY"(idk) game comes out so it might sell well.

Thing's ugly though.

Fun fact: the 2DS only has one screen. A touch screen, to be precise.

The top "screen" is the same one as the bottom, but with a thick piece of plastic covering it to prevent any sort of touch input (which the system already doesn't support on the top screen). This also explains the lack of a hinge and another cost-cutting measure to help deliver the lower price point of the 2DS.

Sure, I don't think it looks all that appealing to me personally, but I would highly recommend it to children under the age of 10 who drop/break/ruin EVERYTHING.

It's aimed toward a select audience of young children, just like how the Nintendo DS XL was originally intended for old people who didn't want to wear reading glasses. The XL ended up doing surprisingly well, IMO. I bet this does better than the GBA Micro, saleswise.

Kinda mixed. I don't blame them for making a cheaper alternative and nixing the stereoscopic 3D, as its probably the worst feature of the 3Ds. This was a great idea. But nixing the portability a bit is an odd one. Also, still no 2nd joystick but I guess that just isn't happening (wouldn't make it cheaper anyways)

Feels very very weird this is a real thing

That didn't stop people from buying and lugging tablets everywhere for themselves and their kids.

"People" meaning a small subset of the overall market, sure, but how is that relevant to my own preferences? I like my portable gaming consoles to be portable. If I need to bring my iPad somewhere, I can't put it in my pocket. This means I have to bring some kind of laptop case or something so I can have both hands free while walking, getting on/off buses, trains, subways, etc. If you're willing to carry a bag around with you, OK, fine. But the really nice thing about traditional handhelds and phones is that you can fit them in a pocket without needing that.

I don't have a 3DS. I wanted a 3DS. The 3DS XL is not so big that it wouldn't fit into a cargo pocket, however the 2DS is certainly too big. That annoys me.

Zircon: 3DS is only like $40 more than the 2DS ($130 vs $170). Might be a big difference for a younger person, but in the end that is not a giant price drop. If you're interested in a 3DS just get the regular one. I see bundles/sales for it all the time (in fact the original aqua blue color right now is $150 at BestBuy, thats only $20 more than the 2DS)

Also, just turn the 3D slider to off if you don't like the 3D. Thats what we all do anyways (conserves battery power, makes the games look slightly better sometimes).

3DS has so many games right now and more on the way, its a really nice system over all.

Edited by Crowbar Man

"Ha, you know what's stupid? Affordable toys for children that are durable! As an adult I think that they are a dumb thing."

Spot on, right here.

Honestly, if I bought a new portable Nintendo system right now, it'd be this. I have no use for 3D, and I'd only use it around the house, or on trips in hotel rooms while waiting for my wife to wake up in the morning, so I don't need it to fit in my pocket. But I'm not really what it's marketed for - it's totally for children under 8 years of age, and is built to be durable and simple enough for them.

a) how many people carry around a 3ds in their pocket? you literally must be wearing cargo pants or be very comfortable with a huge bulge in your pants to do so. i've never carried my 3ds in anything other than a backpack and i can't imagine that is particularly uncommon. carrying this in a backpack would not be difficult at all.

B) opened up it's the same size/smaller than an XL.

c) it's a ton cheaper

do i want one? of course not i have a 3ds. if i had young children would i get them one? in a heartbeat.