Nintendo 2DS

The Derrit

Honestly, if you have never experienced the '3D' and don't know if you actually like it (versus automatically thinking it's a worthless gimmick despite never having tried it) there's really no reason to get a 2DS right away.

The $40 price difference is worth the clamshell form factor, the stereo speakers & the OPTION to play with 3D (with varying degrees via a 3D slider) or not, with the standard 3DS.

I saw these at Prime. They look really cool.

Although I will still continue to say "WTF?!" to all the people who nay-say the 3D on the 3DS. 3DS's 3D display is absolutely amazing, and I never play my 3DS without having that shit turned all the way up. If you "can't get the 3D to work" or some ridiculous thing like that, I really don't know what to tell you.

I find for more strategic games, like SMT4 or any RPG, the 3D helps quite a bit, but for things like Zelda or Kingdom Hearts 3D, it got to be a little more than I could handle. I don't like games with too much happening, and the 3D is something that can push it passed the line. That said, 3D is not useless.

I can understand people springing for a cheaper console that doesn't require the forethought of "will I ever use the 3D?," being that the original 3DS was a gamble on a fiscal level and a hardware level. I'm fairly impressed the 3DS survived, and even more-so that it's thriving, and I think the 2DS is going to sell well. Nintendo is being more open about hardware possibilities, and it's on a level far greater than just memory space, and these possibilities can win over buyers in the future. Nothing gets people to like a company more than options.

I saw these at Prime. They look really cool.

Although I will still continue to say "WTF?!" to all the people who nay-say the 3D on the 3DS. 3DS's 3D display is absolutely amazing, and I never play my 3DS without having that shit turned all the way up. If you "can't get the 3D to work" or some ridiculous thing like that, I really don't know what to tell you.

It just doesn't work for some peoples eyes very well. Just using myself as an example, I literally can't turn it up all the way if I want to be able to see the game, it'd be like trying to play crosseyed. Even with it tuned to the optimal setting for my eyes (which is barely turned on at all) it takes a lot of effort to be able to see the game clearly, which generally puts a lot of strain on my eyes and gives me a headache. (I still am a little disappointed that I can't use the 3D but that's life.)

The 3D works a lot better on the 3DS XL though, so for people who want to use the 3D but haven't been able to have it "work" for them, give it a try on the XL? I played around with one at a demo station and it was much nicer than my normal 3DS as far as the 3D goes.

I think I probably would naysay the 3D out of bitterness if I couldn't turn the 3D off. Not because I think it's a bad thing, but because I'd really want to play and wouldn't be able to.

The 3D for me has always been a novelty. I never saw it used in a game on my brother's 3DS that enhanced the experience other than "Oh look it's 3D~". If you like it, it's fine, but I don't and never really did.

I'm considering whether or not a 2DS would be more up my alley (cheaper price), or the extra money for an XL. Portability isn't a huge factor, because neither will really comfortably fit in your pocket. Though the fact that it could would always help - but then you get into the issue of the original 3DS's so-so battery life (in comparison to say, the DS lite).

Certain games you get a little better graphics (some add AA) or smoother framerate if you switch the 3D off, plus it gives a little extra battery life. I like the 3D but you have to sit perfectly still and at a perfect angle or the image goes double, even on the lower 3D settings. It gets annoying

Also forget about 3D on anything that uses the gyro, tilting the 3DS at all destroys the 3D effect

3DS is a fantastic platform, that has a ton of awesome games and even more on the way... the 3D effect is actually probably the worst feature of the platform. Still, I'd rather have it than not I guess, which is why the slider is awesome.

Emperor Charlemagne:

I'd probably suggest the XL just simply because its pretty slick. Feels nice if you have larger hands, love the nice big screen. Looks pretty sleek. Longer battery life over the regular 3DS. Its only real downside (besides being a bit too large for most peoples pants... fits in mine though) is the speakers are quiet compared to the regular 3DS. That and its the most expensive option :/

Edited by Crowbar Man

• 2 weeks later...