The Dream In My Reality - FF Prog. Metal

So Argle has been adding some of his own composition and new drums to the track as well as a hammond organ (very Black Mages sounding). There are also some more strings in the ballad section.

One thing I'm thinking is that a live bass guitar would make this even more bitchin'. So if there is anyone out there interested in layin' down some bass. PM me and I'll share the WIP with you; see if you're up for it. I'll probably post an ad in recruit/collab too since that may be more appropriate.

So Argle has been adding some of his own composition and new drums to the track as well as a hammond organ (very Black Mages sounding). There are also some more strings in the ballad section.

One thing I'm thinking is that a live bass guitar would make this even more bitchin'. So if there is anyone out there interested in layin' down some bass. PM me and I'll share the WIP with you; see if you're up for it. I'll probably post an ad in recruit/collab too since that may be more appropriate.

Even though I don't do live bass, I could do good sequenced bass. I've got Spectrasonics Trilian on hand, which has some mean electric bass tones, and tops Shreddage Bass IMO. One of the basses sounds like the one in this, for example, from my ReMix of Brandon Strader's "My Choice".

Edited by timaeus222

These sound like good ideas; I thought the soundscape was a bit sparse (though what was there was pretty good), and also I was fully expecting the strings join in in the final part.

(One thing about the sparseness, I thought that it was really screaming for vocals! screaminggeddit!?)

One thing I'm thinking is that a live bass guitar would make this even more bitchin'.

Yes, that'd likely kick this up a level!

--Eino

It sounds much more full now! Sounds great.

Nice sounding bass. I don't think it was very noticeable last time.

Pad that enters at 0:22 is a bit too loud imo. I love the sound in the organ (what library is it?).

Strings are a nice addition to the following riff. They give a Dream Theater vibe, even though they seemed a tad too wet.

Organ at 0:55 is cool too, but maybe slightly too wet.

2:07 sounds awesome! Very powerful.

Nice song! My complaints are really small nitpicks, it sounds great :razz:

Pad that enters at 0:22 is a bit too loud imo. I love the sound in the organ (what library is it?).

Strings are a nice addition to the following riff. They give a Dream Theater vibe, even though they seemed a tad too wet.

Glad you like it! I have no idea what library the organ is from as it was provided by Argle.

Argle actually wound up replacing it with one of his own. He has the Trillian bass as well?

I would never have known if he had it. Honestly, Trilian is "very highly acclaimed", as it seems to be on the reviews on the Spectrasonics site, so I would have been happy with whatever sound came out of it (and I tend to always be). The WAV I sent back was a little off at the slowdown, but Argle could have easily sliced the WAV if it was off there. If I could do it, and I can, then he could do it. The only reason it was off was because of the last tempo change. I had to automate the tempo myself to get it perfect, but even then it got off after rendering.

I also did very specific EQ on the bass to give it the low end power and polish.

Edited by timaeus222

The organ is GSi VB3. A must buy if you want a great Hammond.

About the part you thought was too loud, I checked the project and sure enough the automation was different than the later version. Your nitpick saves the day. :lol: I'll send ACO a new version tomorrow.

Well, gonna give her a submit and see what happens. We should find out about a year from now.

You must be a DT fan. I can really hear the influence in the song structure.

The beginning reminds of "Beyond This Life" and "The Root of All Evil". Being a prog rock fan myself. I can appreciate all of the tempo changes, odd meters, etc.

I really like it.

Glad you like it! To be honest with you, I'm not really much of a Dream Theater fan though I do like a handful of songs from various albums of theirs. I'm more into Symphony X, Pagan's Mind or Circus Maximus for my prog.metal fix, but those bands are of course probably influenced by Dream Theater. Just about every prog. metal band is lol

There are actually no odd time signatures in this track though; it's all in 4/4