Can you make your own VST ?

Kriko

Check out Reaktor 5 at nativeinstruments.com. If you're wanting to build an instrument from scratch, I know of no better modular instrument package out there. Be prepared to do a lot of reading however. It took me a week just to get a sine wave out of the freaking thing. The preset instruments in it, however, are spectacular, and sort of like the combinator in Reason in that you can combine multiple modules and create your own complex instrument. Then just load it as a vst into your favorite DAW and you're good to go. Come to think of it, I should really buy that software,,,I've been using the stupid demo for about 3 weeks now. Sigh.......money money money.

Though it seems to be a little tricky to save a VST from .wav files.. guess i'll have to read the help a little more :)

But that's not the way you should do it :). One of the most important ideas in software development is: "Don't reinvent the (square) wheel". Are there free sample players that can handle .wav files? If so, then you don't need to invent one.

You don't save a VST from .wav files; it will not slurp up the wave files and build a sample playback engine out of it. The SynthEdit link (and the Reaktor solution Reasoner suggests) is about truly building your own stuff, mainly from a modular perspective. Unless you want to do some very weird, out of this world or never-seen-before processing, any sample-playback plugin will do.

See this?

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=results&st=adv&soft=i&type%5B%5D=4&f=0&fe=0&win=1&free=1&sf=5&receptor=&sort=1&rpp=15

All these can play back a set of .wav files and they cost nothing. I advise you to dig around in that selection before taking the step to build your own VST :). It'll be quicker, won't cost you effort, and you'll get what you want.

Ah thank you for your replies. I may have put my question a little confusing.

I'm not actually looking for a program that you create your own sounds with. What i wanted to do was to put together maybe 15-30 samples (same intstrument, different note) into a single VST instrument .dll file i can use with my tracker, becuase it gets kind of bulky to scroll around among so many different samples :)

It's not very important though. I was just wondering if it was possible.

thanks anyway. These program may come in handy some day :)