Dwelling of Duels 10th Anniversary Free Month

Brandon Strader

Yurp, there's a week left. That's plenty of time to make a really awesome song, you guys!

You know, I have some cool remixing memories that I never really have the opportunity to share. In particular, I'm referring to ones where remixes were made somewhat quickly. I can remember this one situation where Benjamin Briggs was set to remix Church for the FF1 album but decided to drop it and remix Town instead. I actually still have his awesome WIP that he never finished: http://www.bstrader.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/waking-from-zero.mp3

Anyway, when he dropped it, I was so inspired by his WIP that I started on my own remix of Church, which ended up being Earthrise on that album (and posted to OCR later). From start to finish, it took 5 hours. He was still online when I finished it. While I would have loved to hear him finish his, in hindsight I am thankful that things happened that way because Earthrise is one of my favorites.

Maybe this isn't an interesting story, maybe it is! But the moral is that a week is plenty of time, and I wish you guys tons of luck. :-)

How they choose a winner?

Is there any voting or something?

Yeah, voters can be people who entered or those who have 20 posts on theshizz or the dwelling of duels forum: http://dwellingofduels.net/forum/index.php

There's a voting application where you can rank each song song terrible, bad, below average, average, above average, good or incredible. Then you send those votes to the guy(s) in charge.

But I have to say, DoD is not about winning. It's about making awesome music on live instruments. Everyone who enters is a winner. :D

Yeah, voters can be people who entered or those who have 20 posts on theshizz or the dwelling of duels forum: http://dwellingofduels.net/forum/index.php

There's a voting application where you can rank each song song terrible, bad, below average, average, above average, good or incredible. Then you send those votes to the guy(s) in charge.

But I have to say, DoD is not about winning. It's about making awesome music on live instruments. Everyone who enters is a winner. :D

Just wondering)

I love to vote! xD

Man, awesome listening party. Awesome songs. Really, really good entries. While I won't be submitting mine anytime soon (it's not that good, very rushed and unfinished) I had a lot of fun making it and being part of history. I discovered Dwelling of Duels through OCR, very soon after I started participating here. Ever since I heard virt's Blood of Ganon arrangement (a classic), I was hooked. Perfect way to celebrate 10 years. You guys should go vote and listen to those entries.

Examples of ones which blew me away (thanks to strefig for uploading these to YT):

Pikmin 3 -

Super Spy Hunter -

Super Metroid -

F-Zero -

Castlevania 1, 2 -

Final Fantasy VII, Shantae, Pinball -

Wizards & Warriors -

Chrono Trigger -

To The Moon -

Stunts, Indianapolis, Test Drive -

That's not even the half of it! I personally lean towards these as the mind blowers but almost all of the entries are really good stuff. Can't highlight them all.

All 54 people who entered should submit their songs to OCR ASAP, all 54 of them, at once! IN ONE DAY! MUAHAHAHAHAHA

^this times a zillion.

I don't even know where to begin. I'm a little overwhelmed and I'm wondering if this was a good move since I have to wake up early in the morning for an interview XD , but overall that was most certainly four hours well spent. Lots of delicious djentlemen riffage, tons of Paul Gilbert and Vai/Satriani wanking, plenty of funk to go around, loads of slick acoustic guitar stuff, and --- of course --- I've always gotta give love for vocal stuff (especially that utterly brutal FF7 track.... oh gawd that was scrumptious as fuuuuuck). lmao@ that one song where the dude just started eating some chips.

yeeeah, I think I can have a pretty good estimate as to the authors behind some entries, but it doesn't effect my impression at all. I enjoyed the whole batch.

however, I'm a little disappointed (and embarrassed at how gullible I was)to know that there isn't actually a 2 hour song. was really looking forward to hearing a 30 minute-long solo or something.

:tomatoface:

congrats to everyone, it was dope.

• 2 weeks later...

Results are in!!!!

here are the results of dod 10th anniversary month!

#1 harmsing - super spy hunter - peter's chase - good +0.13

#2 powellman - f-zero - final lap - good -0.06

#3 carbohydrom, wild_cat - gunstar heroes - dwelling of heroes - good -0.13

#4 cursed lemon - super metroid - green death, brown creep - good -0.39

#5 dr. Manhattan - the ooze (genesis) - astral beast - good -0.41

#6 tackle - final fantasy 7, shantae, pinball illusions - never say die - good -0.42

#7 ansgaros - final fantasy v, metal gear, lufia 2, super street fighter 2, mega man 2,castlevania 3 - brain shuffle - good -0.43

#8 fishy - final fantasy x - dreaming for so long - good -0.46

#9 stemage feat. adam henry - stunts, indianapolis 500, test drive 3 - 386 cylinder - above average +0.46

#10 scaredsim - night striker, the ninja warriors - hyperdrive - above average +0.37

#11 vcr (william reyes) - wizards and warriors - wizards and warriors reverence - above average +0.32

#12 ryan8bit - tmnt 1,2 - hey, april, don't cut me no slack - above average +0.3

#13 snappleman - slayin - mann over the castle - above average +0.21

#14 sir jordanius - 3d pinball space cadet music - interstellar sasuke 5ever space funkadet - above average +0.17

#15 hope fails - chrono trigger - eye of the trigger - above average +0.15

#16 inrudiment - double dragon ii: The revenge - take revenge or die - above average +0.15

#17 m-h - sonic 3 & knuckles - gotta go fast - above average +0.15

#18 norg - shovel knight - king of spades - above average +0.14

#19 sidstyler - castlevania: Symphony of the night - wandering cellos - above average +0.14

#20 gearx2 - castlevania 1,2 - vampire tears - above average +0.14

#21 travis morgan - fester’s quest - bad news, good noose - above average +0.12

#22 brandon strader - to the moon - rabbit - above average +0.11

#23 mak eightman, chris schmidt - battle city - t-90 - above average +0.09

#24 ailsean - silent hill 3 - you're not here - above average +0.07

#25 daniel alm - duck tales - the cunt of transylvania - above average +0.03

#26 the samareaye - gradius 4 - demetrius - above average +0.03

#27 boroda-kun - gradius 3 - let all go away in a sandstorm - above average -0.04

#28 kadmium - final fantasy 7 - written in neon sin - above average -0.07

#29 ivan hakštok - chrono cross, chrono trigger - summer in the little town - above average -0.13

#30 creepue - journey to silius - quarter of past - above average -0.14

#31 wake, xprtnovice - paper mario - el cazafantasmas - above average -0.15

#32 clansmaneddie - mark davis' the fishing master - summer without love - above average -0.17

#33 affection state - battletoads & double dragon ultimate team - hammer hand - above average -0.18

#34 harjawaldar - pikmin 3 - nebulous existence - above average -0.18

#35 omigadrive, tibone - romancing saga 3 - snapplewanker! - above average -0.25

#36 juja - earthbound - onett - above average -0.25

#37 dennis - chrono trigger - let's just get out of this stupid sewer already - above average -0.37

#38 mega beardo - solar jetman - gravity shift - above average -0.4

#39 valence - terranigma - simple europe - above average -0.42

#40 garpocalypse - herzog zwei - last fight of the rusting metal knights - above average -0.46

#41 pumpkin king - sonic 2 - synthetic chemicals - average +0.48

#42 foxdie - ys the ark of napishtim - so techo that it belongs on ocremix - average +0.46

#43 hat - parallax (c64) - rellax - average +0.46

#44 gematriel (formerly vegeroth) - la-mulana - rites of the seventh guardian - average +0.41

#45 six-stringed flamberge - subterranean animism (touhou series) - lost flame - average +0.35

#46 aaronmac64 - super mario galaxy - touch the stars - average +0.32

#47 chunkstyle ft. Kevin lawrence - the human race(c64) - the biggest banana - average +0.22

#48 juef - final fantasy 6 - kefka's super fun house - average +0.15

#49 eric's little shack - little nemo: The dream master - dreaming nemo - average -0.04

#50 katamari - unreal tournament - entering the tournament - average -0.34

#51 7-kurgan-d, j.m., e.s - skate or die 2: The search for double trouble - yo dude...skate straight - below average +0.23

#52 sindra - castlevania: Aria of sorrow - screeching in the reservoir - below average -0.09

#53 nowonafm - star ocean - bopping to summertime hale - below average -0.15

voters: 57

alts

ansgaros - sonic 2 - all i had time for was this lousy alt

corax, zachariasmith - cave story - go to bed, toroko...

goat - mecromage - to the death

ivan hakštok - motivate yourself - brigandine: The legend of forsena

mikau - the legend of zelda: Majora's mask - mikau, song of healing

mirby, tuberz mcgee - crash bandicoot: Warped - blended cortex

pokérusvgm - phoenix wright: Ace attorney - contradiction!

Sir jordanius - god of war - kratos gaiden: Princess technomanga’s kawaii adventure

tackle - final fantasy 9 - home at last

entries are updated on the site

congratulations to harmsing, powellman, carbohydrom and wild_cat and every contestant who entered this month!

Next month is...

blaster master!

in celebration of blaster master 25th anniversary.

13-11-BlasterMaster.jpg

songs are due: Nov 26, 15:00 pm est

send your entries to dodsongs@gmail.com

Congrats to everyone for making awesome songs! Harmsing totally deserved the win, and it was good to hear awesome stuff from people who entered DoD for the first time. I hope the listeners enjoyed my two songs :D

This month was pretty incredible. The quality of entries was through the roof, and the turnout was massive. I would say most everything is worth listening to, even the stuff toward the bottom. Gotta get it all!

I think the biggest and best surprise for me though was Stemage and his brother covering fuckin' STUNTS and INDIANAPOLIS 500. I thought I was the only person in the game arrangement scene that ever gave a shit about those games. I had a little bit of a freakout during the listening party, haha.