Inafune's new game, Mighty No. 9

Devyn

Right now, the bean counters at Capcom are sitting there, looking at the kickstarter, turning to each other, and saying, "Damn, $1.8 mill easy profit for this? Too bad we don't have a beloved sidescrolling adventure IP centered around a blue cyborg fighting other machines to the death, huh guys? Right?

"Also, we all still agree that Mega Man is pure diseased rhino feces, right? Does anyone even remember what that IP's about?"

Seriously Capcom, get your shit together and start producing good MM games again. Your stock might actually go up once a decade.

yeah guys totally. screw capcom, not the guy who left capcom *AND HIS FANS* because he didn't feel like working for the company that made him rich anymore. it's totally capcom's fault that the entire creative process for mega man walked out the door and stopped making mega man games because he doesn't like mega man anymore.

*but the derrit they were mean to himmmmmmmm*

not everyone likes their boss get over it. it's a high stress industry.

the fact that everyone blames capcom for not making mega man games, instead of inafune, who literally holds the keys to the kingdom in that franchise and left, *knowing full well he was leaving the IP behind,* boggles my mind.

I don't know what your beef is with Inafune and why you keep trying to put Capcom into a positive light. Capcom is completely at fault for EVERYTHING.

It was Capcom, not Inafune, who refused to greenlight MML3 for 10+ years, and would basically only let Inafune work on new MM games on a low budget (so he made handheld games and digital retro games). So yes, it is Capcom's fault. He left Capcom because they are a terrible company, just like every other major dev that made Capcom into a star many years back has now fled the company.

Also, when he left he offered to finish MML3 under contract, a project he was trying to greenlight for years, and Capcom refused to work with him. The whole MML3 Project was still not even technically approved by Capcom (they would only approve it if lots of people BOUGHT the demo), which is why they were happy to shut it down once Inafune walked out the door.

Capcom also could definately make games without Infune (and have multiple times through the years.. bad results aside). Hes just one man. If they got a proper talented producer and a dev team behind it, they could easily make even a good MM game, they are honestly not complicated affairs and pretty formulaic. Inti Creates could easily make some more if they hired them to do it. However, they instead put the least possible effort into the series. Just look at the "port" of MMX to iOS (looks like it was done by a kid with bad flash programming skills) and MMXOver. This is how much Capcom cares.

Anywho, Inafune is now free of the stagnated husk of a company known as Capcom. He is getting to do exactly what he wants, and that is important. I wish him luck with his endeavors, and can't wait for Mighty Number 9!

Edited by Crowbar Man

I don't know what your beef is with Inafune and why you keep trying to put Capcom into a positive light. Capcom is completely at fault for EVERYTHING.

It was Capcom, not Inafune, who refused to greenlight MML3 for 10+ years, and would basically only let Inafune work on new MM games on a low budget (so he made handheld games and digital retro games). So yes, it is Capcom's fault. He left Capcom because they are a terrible company, just like every other major dev that made Capcom into a star many years back has now fled the company.

Also, when he left he offered to finish MML3 under contract, a project he was trying to greenlight for years, and Capcom refused to work with him. The whole MML3 Project was still not even technically approved by Capcom (they would only approve it if lots of people BOUGHT the demo), which is why they were happy to shut it down once Inafune walked out the door.

Capcom also could definately make games without Infune (and have multiple times through the years.. bad results aside). Hes just one man. If they got a proper talented producer and a dev team behind it, they could easily make even a good MM game, they are honestly not complicated affairs and pretty formulaic. Inti Creates could easily make some more if they hired them to do it. However, they instead put the least possible effort into the series. Just look at the "port" of MMX to iOS (looks like it was done by a kid with bad flash programming skills) and MMXOver. This is how much Capcom cares.

Anywho, Inafune is now free of the stagnated husk of a company known as Capcom. He is getting to do exactly what he wants, and that is important. I wish him luck with his endeavors, and can't wait for Mighty Number 9!

Quoted for truth.

This is what drove a TON of people away from capcom pairing that with the original MVC 3 disaster those with sense fled and the fanbois are all that are left.

Inafune had been trying to re-establish Mega Man up until the moment he walked out the door. Between the MML3 debacle which was orders from on high and his appearance in that other game i wont even name It became clear what Capcom's lunacy level was.

I haven't touched a capcom game in ages and will continue to avoid any game with that label.

the fact that everyone blames capcom for not making mega man games, instead of inafune, who literally holds the keys to the kingdom in that franchise and left, *knowing full well he was leaving the IP behind,* boggles my mind.

You would have to understand how Japanese corporate business culture works (I liked how one person I knew described professional white-collar culture: "You have to apologize to your superiors for existing") to understand how ossified most of these old companies are. It is very much anti-competition in terms of ideas (but very cutthroat in terms of performance). They are very resistant to ideas or concepts that do not come from board-room meetings; heck, Inafune was a top executive at Capcom and even he couldn't get what he wanted.

Obviously, execs care about the bottom line, but Japan for a decade now has suffered from a serious failure to innovate and compete on a global scale, which is reflected in how bad its economy has been throughout the 2000s (talk of two 'lost generations' in a row). People I know who live and have worked in Japan for years say the last thing you want to do is work for the Japanese!

Not to mention Capcom being bought out by a guy who has no knowledge of video-games whatsoever.

yeah guys totally. screw capcom, not the guy who left capcom *AND HIS FANS* because he didn't feel like working for the company that made him rich anymore. it's totally capcom's fault that the entire creative process for mega man walked out the door and stopped making mega man games because he doesn't like mega man anymore.

Inafune is totally the one at fault here. Just like Kamiya was when he left. Just like Ono will be once he leaves.

It's certainly not Capcom's fault that they're running all of their best creative guys out the door. Nope, not at all.

I'm seriously convinced at this point Capcom shits all over megaman to spite Inafune.

And seriously Derrit, most everyone else has bagged on you for your stupidity, but here's a bit more:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-11-the-rise-and-collapse-of-yoshinori-ono

A) Capcom overworked Yoshinori Ono to the point of collapse

B) Capcom refused to believe Street Fighter 4 would be anything other than a failure up until release, and Ono had to literally blackmail capcom into greenlighting it by riling fans and journalists up and having them pressure Capcom.

Capcom is a fucking abortion of a company nowadays. Inafune left because Capcom wasn't going to let him do jack shit with megaman, and your delusions about how Inafune is the true villian here are completely moronic.

A) Capcom overworked Yoshinori Ono to the point of collapse

B) Capcom refused to believe Street Fighter 4 would be anything other than a failure up until release, and Ono had to literally blackmail capcom into greenlighting it by riling fans and journalists up and having them pressure Capcom.

A) this is video game development do you realize this is not that uncommon/not based on publishers? see ea_spouse, sakurai, miyamoto, and TONS OF OTHER PEOPLE WHO DON'T BITCH ABOUT IT. this happens. is it bad? yes. should it stop? yes. is this a capcom issue? not even close.

B) why would they expect it to be anything other than a failure? street fighter 3 was by most every measuring block a failure. no one was interested in it except the hardest of the core. this is not like the apparent 'hey if we make mega man 11 we'll print money' add-a-number zombitude of the mega man fanbase. it could and *would* have been a failure if they had decided not to essentially make street fighter 2 two. fighting game pros will always play fighting games but the modern renaissance of fighting games for the general public comes squarely from *gasp* capcom supporting street fighter 4 and mvc3.

framing average and normal things in a combative fashion doesn't make them more egregious. it just makes you more opinionated.

Just so people don't miss this pretty slick remix Cyril posted :)

<- Original for reference

Can't wait until we get to see/hear more of Mighty Number 9!

http://i.imgur.com/onWuztA.jpg

Kickstarter is currently at $1.8M, getting closer to the $2.2M for 360/PS3/Wii U versions. I'll probably just get the Steam version, but more MN9 for everybody is always a good thing :)

Goals Met:

8 Boss Stages (instead of 6)

Mac/Linux

New Game Plus & Turbo Modes

Making of Documentary

Edited by Crowbar Man

I'm a little disappointed in the composer choice - the original Mega Man had some
. Otherwise I'm pumped as hell - I love me some ol' fashioned side scrollin'

How old is the husband and wife team "Bun Bun"? They still alive? They would be a much better choice if you ask me :) I think they composed Solar Man last.. which is fairly recently I do believe.

Ya'll are crazy. The Mega Man 1 soundtrack is legendary and awesome. Besides, it's been 25 years since that game; you'd be really stupid to judge someone's current abilities against something they did that long ago.

Let's take a look at what Manami Matsumae has done recently, shall we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhRGoLqpTrQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIEOZto01yY

Edited by KyleJCrb

A) this is video game development do you realize this is not that uncommon/not based on publishers? see ea_spouse, sakurai, miyamoto, and TONS OF OTHER PEOPLE WHO DON'T BITCH ABOUT IT. this happens. is it bad? yes. should it stop? yes. is this a capcom issue? not even close.

Everybody bitches about it. Just not always on the internet. You shouldn't assume that news that are popular on the internet are necessarily representative of the real world.

But I agree that it's just 'cool' right now to hate on capcom and there is no real reason they are any worse than any other company other that a few testimonials and (very) vocal megaman fans.

EDIT: I agree that the Megaman 1 soundtrack is awesome. Cutman?

Edited by PriZm

Half of the Iceman lead doesn't even sound in time, and most of the better tunes are like 8 bars long anyway, but to each their own I suppose. And my only experience with the composer was Mega Man 1, so my comment was a little uneducated.

Still, I wish we could've had the MM3 or 5 composers...