Chrono Trigger - Guardia Millennial Fair - Acoustic Arrangement

0x000000FF

Hi there! I'm currently working on an acoustic arrangement of Guardia Millennial Fair from Chrono Trigger and wanted to see if I could get some general feedback!

Here's a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0uaw8nyvcypgpme/faire-mix-r2.mp3

This is far from complete; I hope it isn't too incomplete to be sharing yet! It's quite sparse at some points, especially the beginning and end. I have some mandolin parts that I haven't recorded yet that should help, along with new percussion parts. The bass drops out too, as I was unsure how I wanted to arrange those parts just yet.

This breaks into Gato's theme at the end, which was kind of an accident, as I kept playing stuff while the mic was on and thought it actually sounded a bit neat. 8-O It's way too soft and I played it sloppily, so if I keep it I will probably replace it entirely.

Anyway, I'd love to know what you think so far. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome! Thanks a lot. :-)

Thanks for listening. I'm glad to hear you think the mic'ing is good. :-) I agree that mic'ing is more than half the battle for acoustic tunes!

The final version should be at least twice as long as this. I'm playing around with Gato's theme now, since I think it makes for a nice change of pace before I hop back to the source. If only I knew some brass players... :razz:

I feel like this sounds a bit sparse. I tried mixing in some mandolin bits, but then it sounded too crowded. Still gotta tweak it.

I enjoyed that a lot! The mic'ing feels a bit like some instruments are playing in separate spaces, maybe adjusting the vertical height pf the mic on the violin and the drum could bring out some interesting blends. Otherwise I would try to play the violin in a deader space. I have a hell of a time recording my viola without getting too much room sound.

The mic'ing feels a bit like some instruments are playing in separate spaces, maybe adjusting the vertical height pf the mic on the violin and the drum could bring out some interesting blends. Otherwise I would try to play the violin in a deader space. I have a hell of a time recording my viola without getting too much room sound.

Great ear! :-o The fiddle, guitar/bass/shaker, and percussion were all recorded in different spaces.

I plan to completely replace the percussion recordings (using the same space as the guitar/bass/shaker). I originally recorded them for an earlier attempt at this same tune when I was first learning to play music. They were recorded with a close mic. I think I should try some more distance.

The fiddle is tricky. The room reflections are obvious when listening to the raw solo track. I'd like to record in a more dampened medium-size space, but if I can't, do you have any more suggestions for how I might approach this? This was recorded in a home. I captured it with a mid-side array (to allow for a bit more movement) just above the instrument with a slight downward pitch.

I haven't had a chance to work on this for awhile, but I'm looking forward to adding more. I'm also curious if something like this would ever be on par for submission to the website. My primary concern is the general quality, followed immediately by arrangement (perhaps too conservative). Thoughts?