FL Sampler - avoiding time streching...

Right, I'm doing a remix of a song for my Recording Tech module at University and I'm recording parts on my Alesis Ion, ESQ-1, guitar and bass for this.

To keep the CPU usage low I'm using the "Sampler" plugin inside FL but sometimes when I import the wave file it stretches it only for playback.

The actual wave file itself stays the way I recorded it but when I play it in the project file it'll stretch it to double the speed and pitch. It doesn't always happen, usually only for about one in every three parts I record.

When I use Kontakt 2 it doesn't stretch it at all so that's a work around, but Kontakt 2 uses too much CPU and I'm mainly using send effects on the samples so using the built in Fruity sampler is much better in this case. Can sometime tell me how to prevent this stretching? Maybe it's because I'm trimming the audio clips in FL and it can't detect the BPM of the samples so it goes crazy or something. I just want to play the files back "as is" though.

I gotta say I LOVE FL but it's shite when working with raw audio. Gimme Pro Tools or Logic any day of the week for that.

Yeah, it's FL 6 alright and I've made sure none of the time stretching knobs are at weird values.

I WOULD use Logic or Pro Tools but I don't have it...we got to use it in MIDI sequening at University and it was cool.

As for the ESQ-1, yeah, pretty retro but it's a cover of an 80's song so it's more than ideal. What's reprazent mean? :P

First of all, I love FL. I had to take a full course on Logic (which I did well in) and I hate it. FL does everything better, in my opinion. I did Lover Reef, which had tons of audio stuff, entirely in FL. Anyway;

Gol talked about this at one point. He said that the sampler will read time information from the file if it is encoded there. In other words, properly encoded files should not be stretching at all. And he's right, they don't. However, in the event you do encounter this, go to the Channel Settings tab, right click on the "Time" knob, and click None. I run into the same thing myself with some WAV files. Sometimes it sets that "Time" knob slightly so you can't even see that it's moved, but it has a noticeable efffect.

Again many thanks zircon, that worked a treat and now I can get back to what matters. :)

As for Logic, I liked but it but I still believe FL is much better value for money. I just like to be able to see the raw audio and slice it up on a channel sort of level if you know what I mean.

Say you want to cut a loop in half and use the latter half only, you can't do that easily in FL unless you go into the wave editor and physically alter the sample.

And the sampler plays waves like a sampler, trigger only. You can't preview sections of a wavefile like you can in Logic and Pro Tools. I know this makes sense because it's a SAMPLER plugin after all but it would be nice to have easy manipulation of raw audio.

For FL 7 anyone? :P

Say you want to cut a loop in half and use the latter half only, you can't do that easily in FL unless you go into the wave editor and physically alter the sample.

Uh.. why wouldn't you just use an audio clip for that? Because that's exactly what you CAN do with them. I assumed that you were just arbitrarily choosing to use the Sampler, but now I'm wondering if you are aware of how audio clips work at all.

Actually I am using audio clips. How would I go about doing that then? The only work about I've found is automating the volume so the start of the sample doesn't play.

I believe somebody was talking about using the playlist to chop and slice up their samples over in another thread not too long ago. Hopefully they shall read this and illuminate the matter for us.

However, I do remember that the demo song for FL4 called "my body" or somesuch, had a lot of stuttered vocals. Check that one out, if it still ships with FL6.

Regardless, you need to read the help file on Audio clips. FL's helpfile is really quite useful, particularly on funky stuff like audio clips. So go read that.

You do know you can drop a wav clip into the audio section at the bottom of the playlist right? Just go to Channels>Add one>Audio Clip, then insert whatever Wav sample onto that sampler. From that point you can drop iton the bottom half of the playlist.

Alternatively, provided you've set the folder that hosts the audio viewable in the browser, just drag & srop the audio clip onto the bottom half of the playlist.

Once you've done whichever method, you can cut the audio using the little arrow thingy on the audio in the playlist.

Hope that helps!

Actually I am using audio clips. How would I go about doing that then? The only work about I've found is automating the volume so the start of the sample doesn't play.

I believe somebody was talking about using the playlist to chop and slice up their samples over in another thread not too long ago. Hopefully they shall read this and illuminate the matter for us.

that was me. yea, just drop the audio clip into the playlist, find the part you want cut, and cut it using the "razor thingie". use the grid snaps to make the cutting a bit easier.

• 3 weeks later...