OCR02740 - Gunstar Heroes "Rolling Gun Changer"

djpretzel

Very well produced, but repeats the same mistake of remixer's original arrangement that he made some ten years ago. Too much focus is placed on the source material's 14 second intro section, repeating it over and over again, while the actual melody of the source material is left neglected.

Edit: Sorry, "mistake" is an objective term that I'm incorrectly using for a personal opinion. Replace that "aspect that I did not personally enjoy".

Edited by Nick The Newbie

Nick, I disagree. It's sometimes hard to go back to an old remix and have another crack, hence why it's very rarely done. And forgive me if I'm wrong, you've just listed everything that's rather staple in most VGM I've heard, particularly of the 8/16 bit eras?

That aside, my thoughts on Malcos' 2nd take. It's >better< than the first in terms of technical skill. Personally I like both equally because they offer two sides of the coin. The original is more of a relaxing jaunt done in a more cautious style, whilst the new mix fits in with the overall theme of "Be Aggressive" because it's pretty much the polar opposite of the original. Props to the mixer for both.

Not following what you mean about staples of 8/16 bit. What I'm getting at is that the source material is about a minute and a half long, but this mix (and its predacessor) focuses on the first 14 seconds of that source material. Additionally, that 14 seconds is really just 3 or so seconds repeated four times. The rest of the song has great melodies, but they have little focus in this mix. I'm a big fan of those melodies, which is why I do not personally enjoy this mix's approach.

This mix is definitely a huge production improvement over his old one, So the remixer deserves mad props for that. It just retains the aforementioned approach that personally turns me off to it.

Not following what you mean about staples of 8/16 bit. What I'm getting at is that the source material is about a minute and a half long, but this mix (and its predacessor) focuses on the first 14 seconds of that source material. Additionally, that 14 seconds is really just 3 or so seconds repeated four times. The rest of the song has great melodies, but they have little focus in this mix. I'm a big fan of those melodies, which is why I do not personally enjoy this mix's approach.

This mix is definitely a huge production improvement over his old one, So the remixer deserves mad props for that. It just retains the aforementioned approach that personally turns me off to it.

Ok, basically, I was stating that back in the era of gaming GSH is from due to equipment limitations and other reasons most tracks were probably just 15~20 seconds of stuff before it was looped over anyway, but, having reflected on it, and re-listened to other tracks from a variety of sources I think I was barking partially up the wrong tree.

Personally, I think Malcos has done pretty amazingly with what source there is with this track, but, bare in mind it's probably been 14~16 years since I played GSH (which was when I was like 8) and so my memory probably can't remember the original... so I may have to do a YouTube hunt and get back to you again.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02740 - Gunstar Heroes "Rolling Gun Changer"