U.N. Squadron - Remix Album

Mr Random

Hi folks

Next year we will celebrate 25 years of U.N. Squadron ( Area 88 ) release.

This game have an amazing soundtrack and only one remix here at OC ReMix.

How about an album of remixes for this incredible game???

Very thanks for keeping game music eternal....

Ohh sorry for my very bad english....

Regards

Mr Random

I doubt we could get the support for a remix album for UN Squadron cobbled together since it's a pretty obscure game, but I've loved it for as long as I can remember, and yes, it has *awesome* music (except for the world map, haha, it's just Chocolate Rain, note for note, rhythm for rhythm). I'll definitely remix it sometime down the road, but it'll probably be a while before I get to it.

Me and a couple of bros have been tossing around the idea of doing an all-star SHMUP album, since one single SHMUP would be quite unlikely to get support for a whole album alone. Pretty sure it will be planned and opened sometime in the future, near or far, but the current list I have includes UN Squadron amongst the choices.

The album concept is tentatively called SHMUP YOURS. I know it seems like a far flung thing, but hey, at least its SOMETHING that could potentially develop :nicework:

Me and a couple of bros have been tossing around the idea of doing an all-star SHMUP album, since one single SHMUP would be quite unlikely to get support for a whole album alone. Pretty sure it will be planned and opened sometime in the future, near or far, but the current list I have includes UN Squadron amongst the choices.

The album concept is tentatively called SHMUP YOURS. I know it seems like a far flung thing, but hey, at least its SOMETHING that could potentially develop :nicework:

Be sure to include Ikaruga and Super Aleste so I can claim them :<

Be sure to include Ikaruga and Super Aleste so I can claim them :<

Current List:

U.N. Squadron

Space Megaforce/Super Aleste

M.U.S.H.A

Axelay

Advanced Busterhawk Gleylancer

Sol Feace/Sol Deace

Gradius

Raiden

Gunbird/Gunbird 2

Ikaruga

Radiant Silvergun

Gunstar Heroes

Sunset Riders

Phalanx

Tiny Phalanx

Batsugun

Iridion 3d/2

Space Harrier

That a good enough list for ya? Hell, I might as well post a recruit thread and just recruit a fucking director at this point as well.

Stevo, I love you.

I dunno about mixing run 'n guns with shmups. They're similar in some ways, sure, but they're different enough that I think it doesn't make sense to put one on an album dedicated to the other. Plus if you just include Gunstar Heroes then you'll have people asking what you have against rocket lawnchairs. But if you need more remixers then that's legit - better to get enough music for a full album than to worry about being a purist.

Since you're including rail shooters, Sin and Punishment would make a good addition. Great game, great music.

Something from the Thunder Force series would also be good. I want to say it'd be nice to include a Cave game, but I guess Batsugun counts. Then there's the massive indie/dojin scene... I'd vote for Genetos just because the music is so delightful and the game's concept is so neat (even if the gameplay isn't the best).

Too many good companies, let alone games, that people don't know about because shmups are such a fringe genre. Will be neat to get any sort of shmup album from ocr.

EDIT: Also Strikers 1945 and R-Type could use some representation imo

R-Type would be good, but he already has a Psikyo on the list with Gunbird.

Iridion 3d/2

I bought 2 just for the opening sequence and title screen. Worth it.

Stevo, I love you.

I dunno about mixing run 'n guns with shmups. They're similar in some ways, sure, but they're different enough that I think it doesn't make sense to put one on an album dedicated to the other. Plus if you just include Gunstar Heroes then you'll have people asking what you have against rocket lawnchairs. But if you need more remixers then that's legit - better to get enough music for a full album than to worry about being a purist.

Since you're including rail shooters, Sin and Punishment would make a good addition. Great game, great music.

Something from the Thunder Force series would also be good. I want to say it'd be nice to include a Cave game, but I guess Batsugun counts. Then there's the massive indie/dojin scene... I'd vote for Genetos just because the music is so delightful and the game's concept is so neat (even if the gameplay isn't the best).

Too many good companies, let alone games, that people don't know about because shmups are such a fringe genre. Will be neat to get any sort of shmup album from ocr.

R-Type would be good, but he already has a Psikyo on the list with Gunbird.

I bought 2 just for the opening sequence and title screen. Worth it.

I have been working with someone behind the scenes to come up with a unique and intriguing concept of this album, and will hopefully open up "public recruitment" soon. It's definitely not what I originally had in mind, but thus far the idea's morphed into something kickass. As of now, Gunstar and Sunset Riders were removed from the list so you're run n gun point was a valid one.

I'll link here once the thread is made. Also fuck yeah Sin and Punishment. It's amazing how this "fringe genre" has some of the best music VGM has to offer.

Batsugun caught my ear when I was going through all the Saturn games I never got a chance to play. Definitely what I consider the original bullet hell shmup, and the FM music is just divine.

Again, I won't comment too much on whats in and whats out or how its going to be done until planning is finalized :)

In the meantime,

• 2 weeks later...
Current List:

U.N. Squadron

Space Megaforce/Super Aleste

M.U.S.H.A

Axelay

Advanced Busterhawk Gleylancer

Sol Feace/Sol Deace

Gradius

Raiden

Gunbird/Gunbird 2

Ikaruga

Radiant Silvergun

Gunstar Heroes

Sunset Riders

Phalanx

Tiny Phalanx

Batsugun

Iridion 3d/2

Space Harrier

That a good enough list for ya? Hell, I might as well post a recruit thread and just recruit a fucking director at this point as well.

:tomatoface:I'd say you're forgetting Gradius 3

I hope someone remixes this song from U.N. Squadron. It so deserves lyrics of some kind as it lends itself so well to it. Of course as a rock song.

It is quite surprising about the lack of remixes this game gets considering all the composers of this game all have worked on a Mega Man Classic game at some point in their careers. There is a couple on the Dwelling of Duels that occasionally pops up so check those out if you haven't already.

I hope someone remixes this song from U.N. Squadron. It so deserves lyrics of some kind as it lends itself so well to it. Of course as a rock song.

It is quite surprising about the lack of remixes this game gets considering all the composers of this game all have worked on a Mega Man Classic game at some point in their careers. There is a couple on the Dwelling of Duels that occasionally pops up so check those out if you haven't already.

My favorite video game of all time, now you're making me want to switch cartridges! :)

• 3 weeks later...