Meet the Workshop Mods!

Flexstyle

Meet the Workshop Moderators!

The purpose of this thread is to give any would-be workshop denizen the ability to best utilize the staff here. In other words, here's what you need to know about each one of us!

Each of us are here to help you grow as a musician and (hopefully) into a posted ReMixer. However, not all of us operate the same way, and we each have different backgrounds. Some of us are in different time zones, and we all have projects, lives, family, and music of our own to attend to. Nonetheless, the reason we're workshop mods is because we each have a passion for helping others improve.

ambient (yes, with a small "a")

Preferred method of contact: PM

Also reachable by: TBD

Five OSTs I recommend: Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

About me:

Far from a professional musician (though I have a bit of a background in classical piano and upright bass), my involvement in any kind of creative process associated with music is limited to what I do on OCR. I mainly focus on electronic music and could offer only limited input when it comes to other musical styles. I've been a part of the OCR community since the early 2000s.

Argle

Five OSTs I recommend: Chrono Trigger :lol:, King's Bounty: the Legend, Rayman, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Galaxy

About me:

just a dude who likes to make teh remixes. Been at the music thing for over a decade. I play violin and guitar but I consider that secondary to composing computer-based music. I try to write in a variety of genres to prevent myself from getting bored, and would like to think I can give feedback on pretty much any genre. Look forward to helping people out!

Gario

Preferred method of contact: Skype (TheGreatGario), PM

Also reachable by: AIM, Newgrounds PM (Gario), FB

Five OSTs I recommend: Dragonseed, Megaman Soccer, Final Fantasy 8, Utopia (SNES), Saga 2/3 (Final Fantasy Legends, in USA)

About me:

I have my degree in Music Theory and Composition from UNM (back in 2008... hard to believe it's been that long already), and as such I've actually had a lot of experience listening to all sorts of styles of music (both tonal and atonal). As such, one area I'm particularly keen on is arrangement, voice leading and orchestration of the track. As of 2008 I've done a lot of work on my own learning the ins and outs of production, so I can give some solid advice on that front, as well.

I'd like to be as diligent as possible on these boards, though unfortunately I've only had time to browse them actively once a week, roughly. If you send out a PM I'd be happy to direct some Mod Review justice your way, though - a friendly request often serves you well!

Rozovian

Also reachable by: AIM, Skype, email

Five OSTs I recommend: Seiken Densetsu 3, Halo 3 ODST, Bastion, Super Metroid, Mirror's Edge

About me:

I complain about the compression in your mix, and leave figuring out source usage to the other mods. And I have a beard.

XPRTNovice

Preferred method of contact: OCR PM at the moment

Also reachable by: Skype, mIRC sometimes, pigeon

OSTs I recommend: Xenogears, Persona 3

About Me:

Relatively new to OCR (joined January 2012), but I've been a musician for over 20 years. My highlight seems to be the amount of instruments I play (at widely varying different skill levels of course), which include 4 saxophones, clarinet, guitar, mandolin, trumpet, french horn, flute, piano, and oud. I'm also a voiceover artist and fantasy/science fiction author on the side (hopefully some good news about my books coming in 2014).

I'm glad to be a part of the OCR community and now I'm thrilled to be a part of the staff as well. I look forward to growing with you all.

WillRock (Judge)

Preferred method of contact: Skype (WillRock07), PM, Facebook

Also reachable by: AIM, IRC

Five OSTs I recommend: iunno

About me:

Dunno. You guys can look me up here. Also work as a composer for edgebee studios. Got a degree in music tech. Etc.

Reason i'm posting here is because I don't frequent the boards, and i'm technically still a WS Mod. but I DO like to look and help out people with their tracks, particularly if they come to me in person. Its better to send me a direct message (AIM/IRC/Skype) rather than PM because otherwise I may think "i'll look later" and not get around to it, but contact me and i'll more than happily help out anyone who needs it. I wouldn't class myself as particularly great with a specific area of critique but i'm a good all rounder and can probably give a decent idea if something will pass the panel or not. Hit me up on Skype!

Edited by Flexstyle
added some ambience

This is a good idea and all, but aren't there only like 2 workshop mods? :-P

Five workshop mods at the moment, actually - currently, Rozovian, Flexstyle, ambient, Level 99 and myself all hold that position. Understand that we do other things for this site as well, though, so while some aren't as active in here as others, they're often working hard in other areas in the site behind the scenes.

Gario

General information

Preferred method of contact: Skype (TheGreatGario), PM

Also reachable by: AIM, Newgrounds PM (Gario), FB

Five OSTs I recommend: Dragonseed, Megaman Soccer, Final Fantasy 8, Utopia (SNES), Saga 2/3 (Final Fantasy Legends, in USA)

About me:

I have my degree in Music Theory and Composition from UNM (back in 2008... hard to believe it's been that long already), and as such I've actually had a lot of experience listening to all sorts of styles of music (both tonal and atonal). As such, one area I'm particularly keen on is arrangement, voice leading and orchestration of the track. As of 2008 I've done a lot of work on my own learning the ins and outs of production, so I can give some solid advice on that front, as well.

I'd like to be as diligent as possible on these boards, though unfortunately I've only had time to browse them actively once a week, roughly. If you send out a PM I'd be happy to direct some Mod Review justice your way, though - a friendly request often serves you well!

Edited by Gario

Might as well put my details here:

WillRock

General information

Preferred method of contact: Skype (WillRock07), PM, Facebook

Also reachable by: AIM, IRC

Five OSTs I recommend: iunno

About me:

Dunno. You guys can look me up here. Also work as a composer for edgebee studios. Got a degree in music tech. Etc.

Reason i'm posting here is because I don't frequent the boards, and i'm technically still a WS Mod. but I DO like to look and help out people with their tracks, particularly if they come to me in person. Its better to send me a direct message (AIM/IRC/Skype) rather than PM because otherwise I may think "i'll look later" and not get around to it, but contact me and i'll more than happily help out anyone who needs it. I wouldn't class myself as particularly great with a specific area of critique but i'm a good all rounder and can probably give a decent idea if something will pass the panel or not. Hit me up on Skype!

• 2 weeks later...

Posting this here for archival purposes for when I'm rich and famous and have left OCR for greener pastures because who'd want to stick around here anyway, besides NEEEEERDS.

Rozovian

Also reachable by: AIM, Skype, email

Five OSTs I recommend: Seiken Densetsu 3, Halo 3 ODST, Bastion, Super Metroid, Mirror's Edge

About me:

I complain about the compression in your mix, and leave figuring out source usage to the other mods. And I have a beard.

Improve your listening skills. Comment on people's wips. Be constructive, be useful, be helpful. Write effectively. Read judges' decisions and listen to those remixes while you read. Apply what you learn to your own works. Get noticed by staff... in a good way. ;)

In other words: learn to listen, learn to communicate.

Very well then. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.

• 2 months later...

XPRTNovice

Preferred method of contact: OCR PM at the moment

Also reachable by: Skype, mIRC sometimes, pigeon

OSTs I recommend: Xenogears, Persona 3

About Me:

Relatively new to OCR (joined January 2012), but I've been a musician for over 20 years. My highlight seems to be the amount of instruments I play (at widely varying different skill levels of course), which include 4 saxophones, clarinet, guitar, mandolin, trumpet, french horn, flute, piano, and oud. I'm also a voiceover artist and fantasy/science fiction author on the side (hopefully some good news about my books coming in 2014).

I'm glad to be a part of the OCR community and now I'm thrilled to be a part of the staff as well. I look forward to growing with you all.

• 1 month later...

Alright, finally getting back to the community after a bit of a hiatus. Here is my info:

ambient (yes, with a small "a")

Also reachable by: TBD

Five OSTs I recommend: Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

About me: Far from a professional musician (though I have a bit of a background in classical piano and upright bass), my involvement in any kind of creative process associated with music is limited to what I do on OCR. I mainly focus on electronic music and could offer only limited input when it comes to other musical styles. I've been a part of the OCR community since the early 2000s.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Well it looks like I'm the new guy here. :-)

Five OSTs I recommend: Chrono Trigger :lol:, King's Bounty: the Legend, Rayman, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Galaxy

About me: just a dude who likes to make teh remixes. Been at the music thing for over a decade. I play violin and guitar but I consider that secondary to composing computer-based music. I try to write in a variety of genres to prevent myself from getting bored, and would like to think I can give feedback on pretty much any genre. Look forward to helping people out!