PRC254 - Results - Crystal Remixes (Castlevania SotN)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 254

PRCv10-20

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

Four remixers entered last round. Yami claimed victory. DZComposer was close, but lost by only one point difference. Both hoboka and evktalo claimed the remaining points and divided them fairly.

Ok, my source choice wasn't easy. First I thought about something from Rockman World II or V, but then I thought about a tune from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which I'm currently playing and wanted to remix myself.

Crystal Teardrops: http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/multi/Music/Crystal%20Teardrops(NICH3).mid

It's not my favorite from SotN but somehow it got stuck in my head for the last few days. So, happy mixing:)

PRC254.jpg

Source: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1) - Crystal Teardrops

MIDI

Game Wikipedia

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC instructions

1. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 20 MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed (only as Bonus Mixes). If anyone has problems with uploading songs to ThaSauce let me know (in this thread) and post a download link to your song in this thread (so I can upload it to ThaSauce).
  2. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by MONDAY September 30th 2013 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time: check my signature (below) or the ThaSauce page for the exact time left.
  3. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix. You can also post the song in this thread if that doesn't work. Then I'll make sure it works.
  4. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.
  5. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  6. The winner of this round may select the source for PRC255.
  7. The winner of PRC253, Yami, cannot take part in this round. However, he is free to submit a bonus mix and his vote counts twice.
  8. You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

Doulifee's PRC Archives! For information about the previous contests.

PRC

Edited by Bundeslang

Can someone tell me the key of this? Does the different parts have different keys? Cause it's all over the place and I have a hard time doing transitions. Maybe it's the midi?

I think the pads have a weird dissonance at the beginning. But from a glance, it seems like the primary chord used is E, G, B So I'm guessing it's mostly in E and occasionally switches to G (such as 0:33 to 0:53).

EDIT

Seeing that C, E, G, B, D# all can work together tone-wise and are seen primarily through the chords (maybe the main melody is dissonant??), the composition seems to interchange between them throughout. NVM checked it out, the notes are prettty dissonant when lumped together and yet you see them playing together in the song at parts - this is confusing!

Edited by HoboKa

I think the pads have a weird dissonance at the beginning. But from a glance, it seems like the primary chord used is E, G, B So I'm guessing it's mostly in E and occasionally switches to G (such as 0:33 to 0:53).

EDIT

Seeing that C, E, G, B, D# all can work together tone-wise and are seen primarily through the chords (maybe the main melody is dissonant??), the composition seems to interchange between them throughout. NVM checked it out, the notes are prettty dissonant when lumped together and yet you see them playing together in the song at parts - this is confusing!

That was pretty much what I figured as well :)

Edited by OneUp

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has 3 songs. To vote, do the following:

- Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries

- Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen.

- Fill in the rank of the entries from first to third.

- State a reasoning for it.

- Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. However, they may not vote for themselve, they should leave the third box empty. They get a free first place bonus if they vote, so it is attractive to vote. Non participants are encouraged to vote to decide the winner and leave comments.

Yami has a vote that counts twice.

You have until THIS Wednesday, October 2nd 10:59 am ThaSauce time to vote, check my signature in the first post or simply the ThaSauce page for the exact time you have.

The winner gets the right to choose the source tune for PRC255.

Check the ThaSauce Page to vote.

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has 3 songs. To vote, do the following:

- Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries

- Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen.

- Fill in the rank of the entries from first to third.

- State a reasoning for it.

- Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. However, they may not vote for themselve, they should leave the third box empty. They get a free first place bonus if they vote, so it is attractive to vote. Non participants are encouraged to vote to decide the winner and leave comments.

Yami has a vote that counts twice.

You have until THIS Wednesday, October 2nd 10:59 am ThaSauce time to vote, check my signature in the first post or simply the ThaSauce page for the exact time you have.

The winner gets the right to choose the source tune for PRC255.

Check the ThaSauce Page to vote.

This was yet another VERY difficult one to decide who got #1, but I voted nonetheless ;) good luck guys ^^

Voted! Nice work you three, excellent entries all round!

Thanks Trism dawg.

Shameless self-promotion time!!:

Good news everyone, my ThaSauce account is accessible for me once again so I won't need 2 pm Bunda every time I want to sub and vote lol. I may even become a project mod at ThaSauce... very soon...I'll find out in the evening today (most likely)

So be sure to check out the Compo:MnP starting up sometime soon :tomatoface:

Thanks Trism dawg.

Shameless self-promotion time!!:

Good news everyone, my ThaSauce account is accessible for me once again so I won't need 2 pm Bunda every time I want to sub and vote lol. I may even become a project mod at ThaSauce... very soon...I'll find out in the evening today (most likely)

So be sure to check out the Compo:MnP starting up sometime soon :tomatoface:

sweet! whats mnp?

also, voted!

sweet! whats mnp?

This is MnP

Whereas PRC is anything goes (except for MIDI rips), Compo: MnP (Meat and Potatoes) allows you to either 1) make a midi rip and sound upgrade it, or 2)add in your own personal touch whilst keeping to the original meal/flavour...hence "meat and potatoes" :3

In short, it's a competition about VGM covers and conservative remixing. Check out the link above for more details. And don't be afraid to post therein :3 That is all.

...oh and thx for showing interest Esperado =D

Edited by HoboKa

It's results time.

Total number of mixes - 3

Total number of votes - 9

Maximum Score - 30.

Voting stats can be found in this picture.

Voting254.png

HoboKa was many points behind, but the double first place vote almost brought him back in the competition. Still, he ends with 20 points getting the last place place wooden spoon.

Esperado received several first place votes, but ends with 21 points on second place.

And the winner of PRC254 is OneUp with 25 points.

Congratulations OneUp, you are the winner. I'm very happy that 9 people voted, resulting in a very interesting graph and HoboKa gets the dubious honor to have the last place wooden spoon with the most points.

OneUp, you may select a source for PRC255. Send your source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix).

You may select any source from any game, as long as it doesn't have an Overclocked Remix and it hasn't been on PRC before. Check it at the list:

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

Send your source as fast as you can, but before this Friday, 4 Oktober 2013.

You can find the votes with comments here:

http://compo.thasauce.net/votes/index/PRC254

While waiting for the next round, check out the new MnP compo by HoboKa:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45063

HoboKa voted as follows:

Vote

1st: OneUp

2nd: esperado

OneUp

Pretty groovy to be certain - nice production fo sure. 1 gripe of mine, however, is that the track seems to try too hard to be mainstream and not sound like videogame music. Also, you left out

my favourite segment at 1:31 to 1:53 of the source tune I'm so sad. On the plus side, the track is very

FUN and is borderlining on OLR territory, which I LOVE doing as you can tell from some of my more troll-ish

tracks =p

Anyhoo, this is still a pretty solid remix worthy of PRC. This might even be passable for OCR I'd think. Though you'd probably have to add in 1:31 to 1:53 somewhere in there, to get the most out of the source usage. It was a tough vote, but I actually went for the more liberal take this round, which is OneUp's. It's very catchy and full of energy and though the mood has been altered quite a bit...it isn't a jarring change per se, so yeah it's cool.

Good work & good effort

OneUp :D

esperado

Took a very similar approach to me which is pretty cool. The chip tunes were a pretty cool addition.

Ok, I voted, but it was really hard.

@HoboKa: MnP will work similar to the PRCs right? So I can enter at will, or do I have to tell you before?

Yep, don't need to tell me and may enter at will. Getting a hold of Rama has been a PAIN in the butt, but Starla was really intrigued by compo concept. In either case, I might start the compo w/out ThaSauce soon-ish. So stay tuned Yami and every1 else :D

Oops I feel a little guilty mentioning this in Bunda's compo lol. I'm not trying to steal your competitors Bunda I swear!! :tomatoface:

EDIT

Oh and great round everybody!!

Edited by HoboKa

• 2 weeks later...
OOOPS plz delete Mod :D:D

I know you can now edit / delete the vote / results of PRC as well now you are a mod. But remember, if you do that, that I'm also enable to edit some things around MnP. I can delete all the songs, or even worse, enter with a one second song and give myself infinity points to win the rounds.:nicework:

Don't be afraid, I won't do that.:)

I know you can now edit / delete the vote / results of PRC as well now you are a mod. But remember, if you do that, that I'm also enable to edit some things around MnP. I can delete all the songs, or even worse, enter with a one second song and give myself infinity points to win the rounds.:nicework:

Don't be afraid, I won't do that.:)

I would prob lol if that did happen. But then we'd have 2 throw the round. :tomatoface: