OCR Talkback Live! (Saturdays, 9PM EDT!)

DarkeSword

It would be SO GREAT if Google Hangouts let you change the panning and volume of each person... I know that probably isn't a feature but it's one they really need to get. :<

Yeah, it didn't help that we were all on different platforms too... some of us were on phones lol, computers, some with headsets, without, etc.

This was a really fun hangout tho - it was cool to just chat with everyone!

EDIT: I forgot to share during the Talkback too... OverClocked Assembled has a SoundCloud page now! Check it out for all our currently released tracks and there will be more to come!

Edited by SuperiorX

I've been doing some research into this problem only I seem to care about, and the following link will give you a feed from the OCR channel with only talkback episodes.

http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/users/ocremix/uploads?q=talkback

You can add it to a podcast app and it's a legit feed and everything. It's an imperfect solution though, since the feed items still have to be streamed in youtube rather than be downloadable audio.

Edited by Argle

I agree with Shariq about source breakdowns.

Personally, I generally don't like to post source breakdowns of my own work, I like my remixes to speak for themselves. I'm not at all opposed to other people posting breakdowns, I just don't like doing so every time I make a remix. Though if people were having trouble recognizing the source(s) and I felt a breakdown would help, I'd gladly provide one.

Edited by Cash

I agree with Shariq about source breakdowns. I personally don't like to post source breakdowns of my own work, I feel like my remix should speak for itself.

That's an oversimplification of his POV, but divorcing that statement from him, I don't agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01342/

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01624/

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01627/

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02811/

It's a listener's right to discriminate against more transformative arrangements, but this is also a place designed to house them. So we want 'em.

People can shit on timestamps, but I go back to Palpable's decision on http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01873/:

The timestamps help if you want to be persuasive.

I'm not going to hold it against a track when I need to actively listen to it more than the usual track. It's more work for me, but that's like complaining that you had to pay attention to the actual words of a good book.

Edited by Liontamer

That's an oversimplification of his POV, but divorcing that statement from him, I don't agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I wasn't attributing my statement to Shariq. I understand his position is more complex than that.

I was only giving my personal reasons for why I don't usually give source breakdowns. If I someone were to request a source breakdown from me, I would gladly provide it. I just don't like giving source breakdowns immediately upon posting a remix in the workshop or in a competition. I'm not against source breakdowns at all, and I understand they can be valuable, especially for you and the other judges. I should have made myself clearer.

EDIT:

I'm not going to hold it against a track when I need to actively listen to it more than the usual track. It's more work for me, but that's like complaining that you had to pay attention to the actual words of a good book.

I totally agree with you.

Edited by Cash

I like source breakdowns. I personally tend to change a lot of things to songs when I remix them (like the key, backing chords and other stuff), so breakdowns work as a nice way to show what I actually did with the source! It also works the other way around of course, it's nice trying to see what people did with the sources.

I've also been asked by Larry to provide breakdowns a few times when I submitted songs so now I do it for every submission I send!

One of the many reasons we love Larry. Good ol' Stopwatch Larry. We should all embrace our inner Larry. Everyone should be Larry. We are all Larry.

I like source breakdowns. I personally tend to change a lot of things to songs when I remix them (like the key, backing chords and other stuff), so breakdowns work as a nice way to show what I actually did with the source! It also works the other way around of course, it's nice trying to see what people did with the sources.

Sure, I can agree with that. Just as a personal preference, I like for people to hear my remix without reading a detailed source breakdown from the outset. If people are having a hard time hearing the source though, I'll give a breakdown. I'm just not a big fan of source breakdowns for every single song that I make. If others want to do so, I say go for it.

Sure, I can agree with that. Just as a personal preference, I like for people to hear my remix without reading a detailed source breakdown from the outset. If people are having a hard time hearing the source though, I'll give a breakdown. I'm just not a big fan of source breakdowns for every single song that I make. If others want to do so, I say go for it.

I agree that people shouldn't have to compare a breakdown with a remix to get the source usage, but I think it's nice to have one for the fans. Like Larry said, if you write melodic content or otherwise that sounds like it could have come from the source but is actually original, you're going to give the judges a harder time than if you actually pointed out what was supposed to be source usage. Sometimes original content works so seamlessly that it could accidentally be counted as actual source, and that's happened a few times before, I believe.

Now, if you don't trust that your source breakdowns are accurate, that seems to be what Shariq's against---using a breakdown to justify source usage that doesn't actually count; as in, is truly way off and much too liberal. If you think it counts, then it should be recognizable, and when it's borderline, well, that's something for the j00jes to pore over. :P

In the end... I just provide one with every sub, and if I really like the sub, I plop it into my actual comments.

Edited by timaeus222

If you think it counts, then it should be recognizable, and when it's borderline, well, that's something for the j00jes to pore over. :P

In the end... I just provide one with every sub, and if I really like the sub, I plop it into my actual comments.

Yep, I can certainly see the value of source breakdowns for the judges. If I felt a subbed remix of mine was liberal, I would probably give a breakdown for the judges.

In general, I prefer to give a breakdown only when people are iffy on source. That's me anyway.

Edited by Cash