Reccomended low-cost plugins?

Necrox

I have no consistent income or abundance of wealth, so are there any low cost plugins (probably $50 or less) that give good bang for buck? I am looking for synthesizer plugins that are good for pads (ambient bg sounds and "dreamy" stuff) and diversity is important too. I have been looking at Sytrus and I like the diverse array of sounds it can do; is that a good value, or should I look for something else?

Some free post processors

http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/

http://www.tseaudio.com/

Only free synth I know of

http://www.tone2.com/html/firebird_vsti_vst_synthesizer_1.html

$50 range

http://www.korguser.net/shop/software/

I love the hell out of all of these in their legacy collection though for what you are looking for I'd go with either the M1 or Wavestation.

Wavestation demo

M1 demo

Hope that helps!

Edited by Garpocalypse

Plugins that cost $50 or less are pretty hard to come off as "a good bang for your buck". Depends on the plugin, but in a general case, you're better off saving up more money for that one plugin that will last you years and years.

Zebra2 is one of them ($200). I heartily recommend it for anything and everything synth-related, or anything in general, really. Anything that doesn't have to strain to be real can be done (i.e. pianos are almost impossible to make without physical modeling, electric guitars are out of the question, etc.). It can make bass drones, space pads, PWM pads/synth strings, moog leads, sync leads, trance leads, synth brass, E. Pianos, plucky arps, filter plinks, 80s acid house basses, kicks, snares, hi hats, bass drops, dubstep wobbles, harpsichords, clavinets, flutes, sitars (acoustic and electric), zournas (yup), sine arps, psytrance arps, 303 arps, pitch envelope basses, FM basses, CS-80 basses, dirty pounding basses, ... , and [insert your goal sound here]. Seriously, it can make all of those sounds, almost all of which I've learned how to make before. It's completely worth it, plus there's a good chance you could make your own unique sound if you experiment enough.

Edited by timaeus222

Yep, I'm not going to focus too hard on $50 or less plugins. With that target range and below (ie., 'free') I've enjoyed the TAL stuff and those Korg legacy stuff aren't too bad either (but I have a bunch of Korg keyboards so I just prefer recording live whenever I want a distinct 'Korg' sound :nicework: ).

On the other hand, if you're willing to go just a little bit higher I cannot recommend everything from Embertone and Impact SoundWorks enough. Embertone has several great things and occasional sweet deals for all price ranges, and even though I've only recently started using ISW products earlier this year I've had my eyes on their libraries for a long time now and I'm certain that they'll be the bane of my wallet's existence for many more months to come. XD

EDIT: fuuuuu--- I read the first sentence and immediately replied without reading through everything. Embertone and ISW are more for all-around stuff (but you can easily craft some pads and experimental ambient stuff with some of the samples), but TAL does have some pretty good basic pads (presets) that I like to use. Mainly the 'Noisemaker.'

Edited by Damashii!!
actually read the complete OP this time >_>

Computer Musics CM plugins: The cost of a magazine for ~30 synths and effects, some of which are very very good. I've never used commercial synths so I don't really know how they compare, but they're much better than almost all of the freeware synths I've used.

Would also recommend the Sonigen Modular beta. It's free and AMAZING. It's going to be released as pay ware soon I think. The only warning I should give is that on my machine it tends to crash Reaper a lot without warning, which is a pain in the ass, but not a big enough detergent for me to stop using it (it is still in beta after all).