OCR01466 - Super Mario Bros. 2 "Gypsy Jazz"

djpretzel

I enjoyed this Remix thoroughly. The author obviously knew what he was doing, the original melody was correct down to the last note,and the improvisation is near perfect. Not the most interpretive or daring remix, but as the mighty TO said, the charm is all there. Definitely recommended. Of course, if you have something against acoustic guitars, don't even bother listening.

This is a really great track that I enjoyed quite a bit. One thing that endears it to me is that it's very similar stylistically to the kind of music that the television show MONK tends to play throughout the shows. Anyone who has watched it will know what I'm talking about. You could seriously sub this in for the old theme song (written by Jeff Beal) and it would fit perfectly.

Posted exactly four years after Estradasphere's take on the theme. Nice.

Charm really is the word here. Not abstract enough that I'd call it gypsy, but really well played. It's interesting how this mix does indeed have similar structure to SuperBuckJazz, following through the source and then doing their own solo. When played side by side they feed off each other. Fun.

Thanks to Adrian for not sucking at guitar (I am sooooo sick of all the acoustic doodling that goes on in coffee shops across the country). I really dig this mix: it's fun and well constructed. I especially appreciate the use of the sound field. I prolly would have thrown in some slaps or some scat and lengthened the whole thing, but, hey, it sounds good as is.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback! This disclaimer didn't make it into my submission, but I recorded this in a couple of hours with a lousy computer microphone. I'm aware of the lousy sound quality. :)

--Adrian H.

EDIT: One more quick comment: This is three guitar tracks -- two rhythm and one lead. They're all the same instrument, the Gitane DG-250M gypsy-style acoustic guitar (http://www.sagamusic.com/article.asp?ID=52). I'd highly recommended the Gitane for anybody into this style of music!

One more quick comment: This is three guitar tracks -- two rhythm and one lead. They're all the same instrument, the Gitane DG-250M gypsy-style acoustic guitar (http://www.sagamusic.com/article.asp?ID=52). I'd highly recommended the Gitane for anybody into this style of music!

Ha! I knew it wasn't a plain old steel string! I thought it may have been a dobro or something.

Also: the "lousy" quality gives it a unique charm. It might sound kind of crappy if it were over-produced.

Anywho, sweet job. We need more acoutic work on this site; I hope you plan on submitting more.

Reading the words "gypsy jazz" and "Django Reinhardt", I had high hopes, and Mr Holovaty doesn't disappoint. All that's missing is some Stephane Grappelli violin. Very nice.

I agree wholeheartedly. If I didn't know the theme I'd put it right up there as another song from Django.

Actually, listening to it I got the feeling of playing Mario Sunshine all over again. It's got that same tropical laid-back feeling. Over all, I'm impressed. Even the fact that the first half or so was practically direct doesn't take away at all, but actually lends to it's feeling. I could listen to this even on a rainy day and feel like I was sitting on a porch somewhere sipping lemonade. Good stuff.

Some of those high notes sound really bad when you're picking at them too hard. :lol:

This was kinda fun, as I like the melody of the original (liked the way you played 0:26). I would have never imagined this would pass the panel, considering how easy it would be to record something like this on the fly. Makes me want to crack out my guitar and play some song randomly with two channels and see if it would pass the panel as well - haha.

I would have liked it you changed up the baseline groove/beat somewhere to make this song feel more complete. The 1:08 section is a good start to give a little bit of a nice contrast, but the overall experience still doesn't feel like a complete song to me, more like a run-on or like part of a song. Needs a more distinctive bridge, in my opinion.

Heh. Personally, I'm not really a fan of using short-release leads for 100% of a song, they don't sound very full, especially without some kind of reverb of a full sounding instrument to back them up, but I guess it would destroy the point of the goofy-twangy-gypsy feel to let the notes sustain every once in a while.

Pretty ok little recording experiment to hear though anyway, a fun little change of style from the original.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01466 - Super Mario Bros. 2 "Gypsy Jazz"