Laptop Discussion

XPRTNovice

Hey. So my Dell just shit the bed, and it's time for me to replace. My budget is $600 or less and here's what I use the laptop for:

- Writing, browsing, watching movies occassionally

- Lighter gaming

- Traveling (so good battery life is a plus)

- I MAY eventually like to use it as a mobile DAW, but that's not 100% necessary.

So, it's a lot of light work for the most part, but I'd like to have some higher end options if I need it.

I was considering getting another Dell Inspiron, but Acer/Asus/Lenovo seem to be good for the price but I don't know a whole lot about their reliability. HP/Compaq have done nothing but let me down my entire life, so they're out.

Newegg has a dell refurb that's a i5 w 1TB HDD and 6GB Ram for $450 that I'm looking at.

Any suggestions?

Edited by XPRTNovice
I don' t need no laptop no more!

Man, I woulda gotten on this so quickly if you'd posted in Production. lrn2thread,nub. :tomatoface:

I've had great success with ASUS laptops thus far--have owned two myself, and have gotten them for all my family members whenever they ask. So far, everyone's happy, and the usage is very similar to what you're describing.

However, I know the Lenovo Thinkpad T430 is a great laptop. This one comes with Win7 Pro, a great battery, 4 GB of RAM, an optical drive, and a 7200RPM, 500 GB drive. The drive speed is important, as that'll be the difference between "I HATE IT" and "IT'S ADEQUATE." If you REALLY wanna get something quick, find a solid state drive. That'll bump the price up a notch, though, usually.

Usually, I'd recommend spending at least $750 on a laptop if you really want it to be worth anything, but I can probably find some decent deals somewhere if you want me to look a little more closely. I can usually find a good coupon code here and there.

Also, keep your eye on sites like Woot, Dealzmodo, GdgtDeals, etc. They often post links (or offer for sale) a killer deal or two on laptops, electronics, etc.

Edited by Flexstyle

I ended up Newegging a Dell Ultrabook for $500. I guess I should have updated the thread :

I'll change the title and we can maybe just bullshit about laptops.

I don't use the laptop for too much except traveling; no real gaming. I do all my gaming via console and using rolled up pieces of napkin paper. It's a i5 3rd gen processor with 8GB ram and an integrated graphics card, windows 8 (which I've already modified) and a touch screen. I like the 32GB SSD in combo with the 500GB HDD. nice and quiet and fast. I like it so far and Dells have always been good to me.

Edited by XPRTNovice

Man, I woulda gotten on this so quickly if you'd posted in Production. lrn2thread,nub. :tomatoface:

I've had great success with ASUS laptops thus far--have owned two myself, and have gotten them for all my family members whenever they ask. So far, everyone's happy, and the usage is very similar to what you're describing.

However, I know the Lenovo Thinkpad T430 is a great laptop. This one comes with Win7 Pro, a great battery, 4 GB of RAM, an optical drive, and a 7200RPM, 500 GB drive. The drive speed is important, as that'll be the difference between "I HATE IT" and "IT'S ADEQUATE." If you REALLY wanna get something quick, find a solid state drive. That'll bump the price up a notch, though, usually.

Usually, I'd recommend spending at least $750 on a laptop if you really want it to be worth anything, but I can probably find some decent deals somewhere if you want me to look a little more closely. I can usually find a good coupon code here and there.

Also, keep your eye on sites like Woot, Dealzmodo, GdgtDeals, etc. They often post links (or offer for sale) a killer deal or two on laptops, electronics, etc.

What ASUS in particular would you recommend? I have been looking to upgrade my notebook for a while and I could use some suggestions :-P

Depends on your price range, and what you're using it for. I can give recommendations from anywhere between about $350-2000, haha.

I mainly use my laptop for music stuff now (my poor attempts at mixing and arranging songs with Reaper!). I barely play PC games.

I don't have a defined budget but I'd guess around $1,000 (like, from $800 to $1,200) is fine :-P