Need new multi-track recording software

OK... I've been using Cakewalk Pro Audio 7 for years and years now, and while I have learned its robust interface like the back of my hand, the incessant sync problems are starting to get to me. I thought it was my hardware, but after full upgrades and lots of configuration tweaking, there are still strange anomalies that I can't solve.

SOOOOO, I am looking for recommendations for a full featured replacement for Cake7. Is SONAR worth looking into, or should I jump ship?

-Ray

What do you mean by sync problems, exactly?

Like I will have 3 MIDI tracks, and 2 audio tracks, and everything is fine and dandy. Then I add one more audio track, and now one of the first 2 is lagging. My WIP I just posted (Rockin' Four-Two) has sync problems all over the place as a result, whereas if I mute all but one audio track, all of them are actually dead on.

-Ray

Like I will have 3 MIDI tracks, and 2 audio tracks, and everything is fine and dandy. Then I add one more audio track, and now one of the first 2 is lagging. My WIP I just posted (Rockin' Four-Two) has sync problems all over the place as a result, whereas if I mute all but one audio track, all of them are actually dead on.

-Ray

Wait, so they're lagging in relation to eachother? Are you sure they're lined up properly?

OK... I've been using Cakewalk Pro Audio 7 for years and years now, and while I have learned its robust interface like the back of my hand, the incessant sync problems are starting to get to me. I thought it was my hardware, but after full upgrades and lots of configuration tweaking, there are still strange anomalies that I can't solve.

SOOOOO, I am looking for recommendations for a full featured replacement for Cake7. Is SONAR worth looking into, or should I jump ship?

-Ray

Sonar is pretty sweet and there are a lot of cheaper cut down versions of it that do a lot for a fraction of the cost. You might get an upgrade deal also, since you own a cake product already.

Wait, so they're lagging in relation to eachother? Are you sure they're lined up properly?

When I say "add one more audio track" I'm actually recording live takes. It seems to give me this problem especially when I have large big single takes (versus loops). If I let that track play solo with the MIDI tracks, it lines up fine, but if I add any more audio tracks, the big one loses sync. Granted my hardware isn't amazing (1GB RAM, P4 2.0), but I think it should be able to handle this with no real-time effects or anything like that.

-Ray