Steam Triple Announcment (OS/Machine/Controller)

Crowbar Man

Suprised there wasn't a thread about this already

So Steam made three big announcements this week but all boil down to basically the same thing:

"Steam Box"

or now officially called:

Steam Machines.

There are three components to this announcement, each can be used completely seperately but all relate to each other.

SteamOS

A customized build of Linux OS tailored to run Steam Big Picture mode and heavily optimized for gaming purposes. On top of being able to play any Steam OS / Linux optimzed game from Steam, it can also stream games from a PC/Mac that is located on your network. The OS is free and open source

Price: Free!

Release: "Soon"

More Info:

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Steam Machine

A set of hardware specifications that are being sent to multiple manufactureres to build various "Steam Machines" that come with Steam OS preinstalled. The hardware is open in design as well

Price: Variable, TBA

Release: TBA 2014

More Info: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

Steam Controller

2controller.jpg

Two concave trackpads specifically designed to deliver greater precision than a traditional controller and provide context sensitive feedback rather than traditional rumble

Touchscreen with an API for developers to create wide range of types of input that you would normally not get with a standard controller. This is designed to assist the player not divide attention, there is an option for anything on the screen to overlay your game when in use as well. Touchscreen also has a click when pushed in

16 buttons all placed in easy to reach and "ergonomic" locations (A, B, X, Y, 3 menu buttons, 4 top triggers (2 analog?), 2 back triggers, both trackpads and the touch screen when pushed in)

controller_schematic.png

Controller will come with Steam Machine, but will also work just fine on a computer that has Steam installed. It will work on games old and new, including ones that don't have controller support (it will act like KB&M, and you can set your own bindings.)

It is also "Open" as well, allowing those who wish to design and modify their own Steam Controllers

Price: TBA

Release: TBA 2014

More Info: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

Edited by Crowbar Man

You might as well call this the TF2 Machine, because that controller, and this whole idea are only going to be utilized to play Valve's First-Person Shooters, ie, TF2.

Despite the gushing praise Valve Corp. gets from the entire internet, I remain skeptical. This is only going to cannibalize Xbone and PS4 sales at the most, and if either machine makes inroads and expands their market, it will be at the expense of the Gabecube.

And the controller is a joke; sorry. Without tactile feedback, expect Kinect-levels of misinterpretation.

The larger questions loom: why go through the extra hassle of making a OS just to play PC games on your TV? Is Steam really that necessary to the whole equation? How is this fundamentally different than the original Xbone (always-online, needs client software to run, well, software)?

Edited by EC2151

You might as well call this the TF2 Machine, because that controller, and this whole idea are only going to be utilized to play Valve's First-Person Shooters, ie, TF2.

The controller has been made to play games that traditionally do not play well on a standard controller: RTS, point & click, casual touch games.

The controller has been made to do really well for first person games, which more than just Valve makes. (and they make more than TF2 btw). I dont see why it would work for 3rd person 3D games either

Oddly enough the only games that may be akward are the 2D sidescrolling/2d fighter types, but you don't have to use this controller, I'm sure you can use any controller on SteamOS/Steam Machine.

Also you know... regular KB&M (something most consoles do not support at all) if you aren't into controllers at all

Without tactile feedback, expect Kinect-levels of misinterpretation.

Not sure I understand this... the trackpads should function like analog sticks only even more precise. How is that like Kinect, which could barely understand gestures while flailing your entire body about? Odd comparison

The larger questions loom: why go through the extra hassle of making a OS just to play PC games on your TV?

To encourage development on an open platform, while simultaneously reaching the living room, a place where PCs generally "do not belong". Also provides a console-like experience for those who like that

How is this fundamentally different than the original Xbone (always-online, needs client software to run, well, software)?

Because it doesn't need to be online (at least for any draconian DRM scheme) and is completely open source and free to run on whatever hardware you choose?

Xbox One's original goal was to lock your entire system down to MS's new mega DRM and require daily check ins to even operate, along with being complely controlled by MS's pricing policies, etc.

There is a vast ocean of difference between MS/Original XBO (consumer detrimental, completely closed hardware & os, required for next gen "Xbox" games) and Valve/SteamOS/Machine (consumer friendly, completely open hardware & software, completely optional for PC games).

Basicly: MS seeks to control how you do things, Valve is seeking to open up your options.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Not sure I understand this... the trackpads should function like analog sticks only even more precise. How is that like Kinect, which could barely understand gestures while flailing your entire body about? Odd comparison

Have you ever played a game on a touchscreen/trackpad? Accuracy is not a word I would use to describe them. Judging by the pictures, it seems it has some ridges on it to give you minimal tactile feedback, but I'm still skeptical that it provides the same precision as they claim.

Don't get me wrong, this seems cool as hell, but I'm not jumping on this just yet. I wanna see the whole package (OS/Machine/Controller) for myself.

Edited by Cerrax

I have tried unfortunately, but laptops don't tend to have high precision sensors either. Nor are they circular and placed in my thumbs in a concave shape. Nor do they have any haptic feedback. Or even made for gaming in mind. I would probably expect these trackpads to function much better. We'll see when they come out I guess

Either way, even with a crappy standard laptop trackpad, games are still far far far more playable than Kinect (which isn't even remotely playable). You can't even navigate menus without issues with Kinect for goodness sake!

Also keep in mind all these parts go together but aren't required to be together:

You can put Steam OS on anything you want (use any combination of inputs you want)

You can get a Steam Controller and use it on anything that runs Steam.

Or you can get a Steam Machine for the complete package [Machine, OS, Controller] (and still mix and match whatever you want.. even install another OS)

I personally can't wait to get one of those Steam controllers in hand to see how it works

Edited by Crowbar Man

I am excited by the announcement - I would love the opportunity to kill Windows from my main desktop, which I would love to use as a dev machine running Ubuntu (I've had issues getting a VM to work due to graphics issues, unsurprisingly).

I reserve judgment on the controller, but I'm excited to see a company making a serious effort in changing the gaming PC landscape.