MnP01_FF7_BattleTheme_WINNER ANNOUNCED

HoboKa

So we just vote for the track we like the most. I wasn't sure if we should prioritize covers, slight alterations, or sound upgrades. Sounds like it doesn't matter?

I think (and I'm sure HoboKa will correct me if i'm wrong) that the goal of this compo is to let people who want more practice in the instrumental side of things as opposed to the arrangement side to let loose with covers and midi rips without fear of being driven into exile by the less subjective members of the site :) I personally think it's an excellent companion to the PRC comp :)

I think (and I'm sure HoboKa will correct me if i'm wrong) that the goal of this compo is to let people who want more practice in the instrumental side of things as opposed to the arrangement side to let loose with covers and midi rips without fear of being driven into exile by the less subjective members of the site :) I personally think it's an excellent companion to the PRC comp :)

Yeah, that's what I was aiming for essentially.

So we just vote for the track we like the most. I wasn't sure if we should prioritize covers, slight alterations, or sound upgrades. Sounds like it doesn't matter?

So long as it (my voting idea) is not universally rejected. Doesn't seem like there is much opposition to my idea, so yeah just try to vote for what you liked most. I'll try my best to keep an eye out for things like vote stacking though, ofc.

EDIT

forgot to add...

Buuuut, since I am the compo host, I need to hold myself at a higher level of (can't think of the word off the top of my head...)responsibility??, Anyhoo I will take into consideration the effort that was put into ppl's remixes too.

Edited by HoboKa

i like the idea of it. prc is good for practicing the "ocr thinking" style of remixing, where this would be great for practicing the finer points of mixing and polishing a remix that i dont get with the prc since im usually never fully done arranging by the time i sub a mix.

i like the idea of it. prc is good for practicing the "ocr thinking" style of remixing, where this would be great for practicing the finer points of mixing and polishing a remix that i dont get with the prc since im usually never fully done arranging by the time i sub a mix.

Err, actually it's more about having fun and not worrying too hard on the production side of things - so is that more or less similar to PRC then? Minus allowing people to be too liberal in their remixing :P. I just changed the voting rules to reflect that ideal haha. But it never hurts to try your best and make it feel OCR-worthy...we're just not compelled to do so here :P

Nevertheless, I am hoping that voters will be giving at least SOME feedback for why or why not x remix worked over y remix, despite the voting rules being quite loose. Regardless, you can always ask me or any1 else in the compo for more feedback.

So...all in all, this competition is still technically a work in progress itself...heck you could call round 1 a "test round", so the rules and guidelines are subject to change (without destroying the core values of MNP, naturally :P)

Whew...that was a bigger response than intended.

And I must say, that the turn-out was far bigger than I had ever hoped, so thank you all for participating and I look forward to seeing the results. I love this community now more than ever :3

EDIT

sry Esperado I may have misread what you said, I think you nailed it more or less >.<

Edited by HoboKa

I'll try to vote for this one when its over. If you plan to keep this schedule, I think I'll move the PRC deadlines with 4 days or something, because for this round the deadline of both remixing and voting is on exactly the same day (with one hour difference). It's better for both contests to avoid that in the future. When do you plan to start the next round?

Anyway, I'm happy to see that there are already 7 entries. I hope you can keep this up in the future (this was a problem for many contests in the past). The contest design seems to work. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Bundeslang

Never voted on TheSauce before. I notice there's a box for "Reasoning". Will that be visible to everyone? Will your votes be visible? Not that I have anything to hide. :lol: I'm just wondering how this works.

Votes and reasoning are visible when the voting stage is over.

Also (for me it doesn't matter because I didn't enter), but are remixers allowed to vote for himself. Or will they get a voting bonus (like the first place bonus as in PRC)?

I also hope that my signature doesn't confuse people with the deadlines (PRC vs MnP).

Edited by Bundeslang

Welcome to the voting Stage for MnP

- Visit the stated http://compo.thasauce.net/compos/view/MnP and listen to all the entries

- Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen.

- Fill in the rank of the entries from first to third.

- It's recommended to state a reasoning, but it's not necessary.

- Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. However, they may not vote for themselves. They get a free first place bonus if they vote, so it is attractive to vote. Non participants are encouraged to vote to decide the winner and leave comments.

No one has a vote that counts twice for round 1 since the pick was anonymous.

The winner gets the right to choose the source tune for MNP02.

Click on my sig to vote and please do so before the due date.

Edited by HoboKa

I'll try to vote for this one when its over. If you plan to keep this schedule, I think I'll move the PRC deadlines with 4 days or something, because for this round the deadline of both remixing and voting is on exactly the same day (with one hour difference). It's better for both contests to avoid that in the future. When do you plan to start the next round?

Anyway, I'm happy to see that there are already 7 entries. I hope you can keep this up in the future (this was a problem for many contests in the past). The contest design seems to work. Keep up the good work.

Thanks very much Bunda. And refering to your 2nd post, no they may not vote for themselves...I'll let it pass for round 1 if that happened since I was late in setting up my voting stage shtuff lol.

I'll pm you regarding when to start the next round for MNP. I don't have it figured out yet :S

Oh, also I mooched PRC's voting rules and copied/pasted some of yours :P

MY GOD THIS WAS A HARD ROUND TO VOTE FOR. I felt a little dissatisfied with my choices, but I had to make a decision nonetheless :S - I hope the rest of you guys took it a little easier than me haha.

Edited by HoboKa

Thanks very much Bunda. And refering to your 2nd post, no they may not vote for themselves...I'll let it pass for round 1 if that happened since I was late in setting up my voting stage shtuff lol.

I'll pm you regarding when to start the next round for MNP. I don't have it figured out yet :S

Oh, also I mooched PRC's voting rules and copied/pasted some of yours :P

The last line is not correct, participants don't need to leave the third box empty because this contest has >3 entries and not 3, like the last PRC.:)

Voting over - qualitative remark ban lifted

Well then. A little sad to see zero points, but I can't exactly blame the people. All else aside, you can barely hear mine when compared with the others!

EQ/compression is super important and I don't yet have a good grasp on how to make the final product audible without just cranking the gain and clipping everywhere. And before anybody chimes in with a link to a tutorial or something, I've read a few already. Conceptually, I get it. I'm just having difficulty making the tools I have work. Maybe I'll have it figured out in time for the next thing I try to do.

VOTING RESULTS TIME

Whew sorry guys I slept in...had a lil too much fun last night :tomatoface:

So, it looks like it was a real close one:

Winner is Argle (since he got the 1st place vote), 2nd is OneUp, 3rd is Trism

Argle = 14 (first place vote)

OneUp = 13

DrumJ8 = 12

Trism = 10

MindWanderer = 6

HarryUp = 2

GrapplingHook = 0

Edited by HoboKa

That was fun. I hope people choose well known sources, tbh. :lol: Thats the potential appeal to me for this compo, redoing the classics in a way that wouldn't pass muster here.

It would be interesting if the winner picks the same source as the winner of PRC255 for PRC256. :mrgreen:

Also, the results are not in line with the rules. The rules mentioned that a first place vote is given to participants who voted (instead of 1 point), meaning that Argle would have won the contest instead of OneUp.

It might be a good idea to also edit the scores on ThaSauce to avoid confusion.

Anyway, nice round everyone.

Edited by Bundeslang

It would be interesting if the winner picks the same source as the winner of PRC255 for PRC256. :mrgreen:

Also, the results are not in line with the rules. The rules mentioned that a first place vote is given to participants who voted (instead of 1 point), meaning that Argle would have won the contest instead of OneUp.

It might be a good idea to also edit the scores on ThaSauce to avoid confusion.

Anyway, nice round everyone.

Yeah, I didn't quite understand what that meant when I copied it from your guideline lol. Oops.

Ok so first place is actually Argle. Sorry OneUp...I didn't check out my rules thoroughly enough before tallying the scores =/ my bad.

I apologize to ALL of the contestants. I wasn't organized well enough for round 1 & hadn't even reviewed my own rules 100%, so I apologize for the mass confusion and improper scoring - luckily Bundeslang guided me on the right path and had helped fix up the ThaSauce page as well, to properly reflect the actual scores. Thank you all for bearing with me and I hope to see you for round 2 - this time with a better organized host :)

Also, for round 2 and beyond...Make Sure To Vote: Reason being is that even if you scored the highest, someone else with a relatively high score can trump you if they DID vote, due to the first-place voting rule. If you guys don't like this rule, I can erase it and we can focus only on whoever got the highest score.

So maybe a quick tally is in order:

Yay or Nay for the First Place voting rule:

Yay = 1 Nay =

Edited by HoboKa

I can't actually find the scoring rules anywhere--is it supposed to be 3 points for 1st place, 2 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd? If so, they still don't add up (I know I should be at 3+1+1+1+3=9), but it doesn't really matter once 1st place is determined.

I think a first place vote for voting is critical. Without that, participants have an incentive to vote for themselves, or to not vote (if voting for themselves is disallowed). By giving a free first place vote for voting, everyone who is going to vote for themselves no matter what has to make 3 interesting choices instead of just 2, and those that don't are relieved of having to make the difficult choice to vote against their own baby.

I find it very interesting how people interpreted the compo concept. Although I changed the instruments substantially, I felt like mine was still obviously Final Fantasy combat music, retaining the mood, tempo, and energy level. But obviously others disagreed.

I can't actually find the scoring rules anywhere--is it supposed to be 3 points for 1st place, 2 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd? If so, they still don't add up (I know I should be at 3+1+1+1+3=9), but it doesn't really matter once 1st place is determined.

I think a first place vote for voting is critical. Without that, participants have an incentive to vote for themselves, or to not vote (if voting for themselves is disallowed). By giving a free first place vote for voting, everyone who is going to vote for themselves no matter what has to make 3 interesting choices instead of just 2, and those that don't are relieved of having to make the difficult choice to vote against their own baby.

I find it very interesting how people interpreted the compo concept. Although I changed the instruments substantially, I felt like mine was still obviously Final Fantasy combat music, retaining the mood, tempo, and energy level. But obviously others disagreed.

That's the curse of subjectivity my friend. You can never rely on us humans to be consistent with our own rules, but heck we try our best. Maybe some of the contestants didn't quite understand the rules before jumping in anyhow =/ anyways, I thought your take was pretty decent, but there were others I thought were closer to the rules and also executed a little better.

So, I'm going to register your opinion on the Voting rules as a Yay ;)

This is how it ends (when I'm correct):

Argle = 14 (+3 for vote)

Trism = 13 (+3 for vote)

OneUp = 13

DrumJ8 = 12

MindWanderer = 9 (+3 for vote)

HarryUp = 5 (+3 for vote)

GrapplingHook = 3 (+3 for vote)

I explained to HoboKa how to edit the scores on ThaSauce and edited the score of Argle myself to test it.

To be sure, always check the final results in this thread (this also holds for PRC) because it can happen that there are circumstances that not everything is correct on ThaSauce (for example when someone votes per PM instead of at ThaSauce). Vote bonusses are not added on ThaSauce automatically.

The fun with this contest is that the voters didn't agree. 9 Voters means a maximum score of 27, Argle scored only 14 but still won this round. 5 of the songs got a first place vote. With this funny remix concept I think this is gonna happen more.

About the first place vote bonus I agree with MindWanderer. I fear that when the voting bonus is lower than the actual points of a first place vote, it might be a reason for participants (who want to win) to not vote at all.

Edited by Bundeslang