OCR03602 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker "The Legacy"

DragonAvenger

Your ReMixer name: Argle

Name of game(s) arranged : Zelda Wind Waker

Name of individual song(s) arranged: The Legendary Hero

Name of arrangement: The Legacy

Source:

This is for the Wind Waker project, On the Breath of the Wind. So.... yeah. Not sure when that will be finished. I haven't done orchestral music in absolute ages, so it was a refreshing change from the usual electronic shite I make.

The opening brass at :20 wasn't the greatest, but definitely got the job done. Nice subtle dynamic shift at 1:08; very genteel, then moving into some nice, gradual escalation, followed by more changeups at 1:40 and 1:49 with some solid transitions.

Everything was at a fairly even keel until getting more forceful at 2:16. Everything Adam was presenting here was dynamically interesting. Though you wonder where the choir went for the rest (if it were a real performance), nice use of the vocal cameo at 3:11.

The weak point came at 4:04 with the brass sounding pretty thin and having fast decays that really exposed the samples until the bowed strings rose in volume and helped pad things out.

The realism lacks, sure, but not too much to kill the listening experience vis-a-vis the standards. This was full of excellent rises and falls, and a thoroughly creative arrangement that I'd love to hear performed by a live orchestra.

YES

• 2 months later...

Yeah, this would be killer live. Love how you adapted this, loving your original sections. Good transitions, and good dynamics, nice time signature change! Samples aren't amazing, but as Larry mentioned, I never really felt like it was a huge issue or that noticeable aside from the trumpets at the end. Minor, in the big scheme. Nice work!

YES

This is fantastic, Argle! Really creative use of the main melody, and using the little motifs as fills as well, and the addition of the main Zelda theme is dynamite. Lovely soft ending. Great dynamics, terrific arrangement!

I do feel like your instruments (strings, brass, winds) all need to be humanized. Even lesser samples can work well if they are humanized properly. It is a time consuming (and let's face it, un-fun) process, but it really makes a production like this shine. Strings need to play in swells, you need to keep in mind how people play strings. Watch some videos of strings being played, and see how they swell louder and then recede between passages.

Brass and winds play in swells as well, keeping in mind the limits and characteristics of human breath. The lead clarinet at 1:49 is a good example of non-human playing, those notes should really fade toward the ends as the person's breath gives out. Make some automation clips and play around with this.

The above advice will only serve to make a great arrangement even better and I hope you will look into this for future mixes. Glad to give this tune a big fat

YES

A little bit of stiffness in the sequencing, but everything else was on point in a pretty big way. he three choir notes were nice for the huge build, but a little silly thinking about it. I think giving them a little more to do in some of the quiet sections would have been nice. Overall very solid stuff though, nice work!

Yes

• 3 years later...

An update: due to the status of the album (basically it's on indefinite hold due to it being rejected) Argle requested that we release this outside of the album.

To quote him:

Hi there!  Since the WW project seems to be dead with very little chance of it being overhauled, the tracks I submitted for it years ago should probably be moved out of the project queue.  I don't want them to be stuck in limbo forever if the project isn't going to happen.

Thanks!

I'm removing the 'Projects' tag from this, so we can release this any time.