Song: Battle Scene 2 (NES version)
Original Composer: Nobuo Uematsu
Remixer: Knight of the Round
Real name: Justin Taylor, Justin Wilbanks, Kevin Baumann, Jeremy Scheisser
User ID: 43205
Link to Original:

Link to submission: ATTACHED
Genre: Poly-rhythmic Groove Thrash

When I last submitted a track to OCR, KOTR was my solo project. It’s since grown into an active band that plays shows and conventions (such as MAGFest). Having 3 others to help with the writing process has helped further shape our sound (as well as make it a hell of a lot easier to write.) This remix ended up being a little more on the groovy/slower side as opposed to some the thrashier stuff I’ve done in the past.

Guitars were once again recorded with an Agile 8 string, tuned to drop E flat. This time around, we used 100% digital amplification. I used my Line6 POD HD Pro to record all guitar parts, then re-amped the signal through Line6 PodFarm. Bass was recorded DI with a SansAmp Bass Driver. Drums were programmed with Superior Drummer 2.0, then the kick and snare were sound replaced with Steven Slate drums. Enjoy! Edited by djpretzel

Nice and clean recording, but you guys aren't heavy enough. 8 string guitars are for children and the elderly, and real men have at least 20 string guitars, or at least having the entire band play bass. Your additional droptuning isn't fooling anyone!

Seriously though, the track sounds great, and the arrangement is super personalized. There was a good mix of original material with source, and the mixed meter stuff sounded intelligent and well integrated. The keyboards were very tasteful. and while there were a lot of original-sounding interludes, there was a good deal of expanded-upon source.

Nice work gentlemen, A++ would groove again!

Yes

The soundscape was just a bit too murky when the padding was in play (mostly choruses), but it was OK. I also disagreed with Deia about the balance. Consider increasing the volume of the leads a bit. Though the balance was definitely not a dealbreaker, I don't see why the foreground writing didn't cut through more throughout the piece. Even if it's meant to blend in more with the other elements, the leads were surprisingly too quiet, which undermined the energy of the composition some.

Minor thing, but something at 2:51 added audible hiss that abruptly dropped out at 2:58 (along with a light pop at 2:55). Again, no big deal, but just keep an ear out for small issues that you'd rather not have in the final render.

Aside from feeling the lead guitars were comparatively too quiet to everything else, this was solid. Like Deia and OA said, great personalization and energy here in the arrangement!

YES

• 2 months later...

Gotta agree with Larry about the leads being buried. Also I'm finding the bass lacking definition just a *teeny* bit, but it's balanced well. Other than that, the track is produced and mixed very well, writing and arrangement are good, nice wide soundscape, drums are awesome, guitar work is crazy good, track has great energy, fun listen! Works for me!

YES